New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Now I've really broken my D800

lxdesign
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Now I've really broken my D800

I was at the Toronto Zoo today - after getting my viewfinder on the D800 finally glued (a small piece of body surrounding the screw that holds the viewfinder back assembly in place cracked)... so I had it mounted to the 200-500 - and it was working so beautifully. I went to lean it against a wall on my monopod for a few seconds, and turned around for a moment, and bang! It hit the floor. The 200-500 is fine, all working well - no damage at all. The fall was only about 16" down the surface of a smooth wall.

The D800 is not so good - the cracked viewfinder section unglued itself...... and even worse - the camera won't power up now. I took it to a repair shop - the camera is way out of warranty now at 4 years old.... and its looking like a $500+ repair bill.

Now I am faced with whether I should fix it, or put the money towards a new body - and I am thinking either D500 or D750... I have the Df, which I have actually been using exclusively since the D800 viewfinder developed the crack.

Why me!

Jun 29, 2016 at 09:00 PM
Donzo98
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Now I've really broken my D800

Yikes...

Jun 29, 2016 at 09:03 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Now I've really broken my D800

Usually a repair bill over half the replacement cost means scrapping. $500 is way less than half. What if the camera has a broken frame? Nikon usually considers that uneconomical to repair

Jun 29, 2016 at 09:41 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Now I've really broken my D800

Did they give you an indication of what parts need repairing? That information might help you make the best decision. For example if it's something structural then I'd probably pass on the repair.

Jun 29, 2016 at 09:59 PM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Now I've really broken my D800

Sounded like the main pcb and rear body cover

Jun 29, 2016 at 10:31 PM
InlawBiker
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Now I've really broken my D800

What hey? You mentioned warranty but it wouldn't apply in this case anyway. You dropped it flat on out.

A new one is a thousand bucks used. If you can repair it for $500 seems like a good deal to me. What is their guarantee like? I suspect Nikon would want more than $500, but they would do the repair correctly.

Jun 29, 2016 at 10:52 PM
MichGoBlue
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Now I've really broken my D800

Any chance you have insurance that will cover it?

Jun 29, 2016 at 11:36 PM
D500
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Now I've really broken my D800

That what insurance stand for...
State Farm covers worldwide include accidental damage for 1.49% a year. ($29.98 for $2,000 a year, no deductible)

Jun 30, 2016 at 05:41 AM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Now I've really broken my D800

No, didn't have it insured.... They are going to get me a more concrete quote next week. At which point we'll see the actual cost....and yes, I believe Nikon would charge a lot more. These guys are a reputable service company.

Jun 30, 2016 at 06:33 AM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Now I've really broken my D800

Got a quote back from the repair show -- they are authorized for repairs to Nikon camera's.... just not Nikon's direct service department - but they were telling me that they do contracts for NPS repairs when needed.

Anyhow - $406.00 to replace the top body piece which will solve the crack in the body. And then replace the mirror box assembly - which they said is wonky. And the power-up issue was just a fuse which is built in to protect the electronics.

Jun 30, 2016 at 03:00 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Now I've really broken my D800

Even if it wasn't insured specifically, if you have contents insurance on your home, it should be covered (unless it's significantly different in Toronto than Alberta). Still may not be worth going that route though with deductibles and possible premium hikes.

If I were you I would repair the body or pick something up to tide yourself over, and buy whatever replaces the D810 in the next 6-12 months. Sounds like you got a pretty reasonable repair quote though.

Jun 30, 2016 at 03:25 PM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Now I've really broken my D800

isn't there a known issue with the frame design in the vicinity of the tripod mount if the frame is cracked or broken, then the af system will be misaligned beyond correction.

will they check & confirm proper af operation after performing the repair?

Jun 30, 2016 at 03:31 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Now I've really broken my D800

tntcorp wrote:
isn't there a known issue with the frame design in the vicinity of the tripod mount if the frame is cracked or broken, then the af system will be misaligned beyond correction.

Yes. Huge long thread on it just a few months ago.

Jun 30, 2016 at 03:54 PM
Spectro
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Now I've really broken my D800

Yes I would recommend they check for focus issues as part of the repair. I've heard from a Nikon technician that if the frame is bent and focus is affected the camera cannot be repaired.

Jun 30, 2016 at 04:22 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Now I've really broken my D800

Found the thread. Actually a year and a half old.
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1342802/0

Jun 30, 2016 at 06:08 PM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Now I've really broken my D800

CanadaMark wrote:
Even if it wasn't insured specifically, if you have contents insurance on your home, it should be covered (unless it's significantly different in Toronto than Alberta). Still may not be worth going that route though with deductibles and possible premium hikes.

If I were you I would repair the body or pick something up to tide yourself over, and buy whatever replaces the D810 in the next 6-12 months. Sounds like you got a pretty reasonable repair quote though.

The repair is not going to be that bad - insurance would not be worth it. I have a Df as well.

Jul 04, 2016 at 09:43 PM
lxdesign
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Now I've really broken my D800

tntcorp wrote:

Yes, they are a certified Nikon repair centre -- they will check calibration after replacing the parts.

Jul 04, 2016 at 09:44 PM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Now I've really broken my D800

i would request to check the frame in the vicinity of the tripod mount for crack indications prior to replacing the mirror mount.

doesn't take much to disassemble the base and it was saved them the time & effort prior to doing further tear down.

just a cautionary suggestion.

Jul 05, 2016 at 10:28 AM
jbouchard
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Now I've really broken my D800

I'd get it fixed. I dropped my 28-70/2.8, aka "the beast". It cost something like $450 to get it repaired and I had the same decision to make. I got it repaired and now it's like new, or refurbished anyway; the focus is dead on without tuning and it's sharp. I think it worked out much better than buying another random used one off the B&S.

Jul 05, 2016 at 11:47 AM
BSPhotog
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Now I've really broken my D800

Seriously though, get some insurance people! It is stupid cheap through almost anywhere.

Jul 05, 2016 at 12:44 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.