Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Zeiss 100mm Makro - good macro?

billsamuels
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Zeiss 100mm Makro - good macro?

I have the last generation Tamron 90mm Macro for my Canon (the newest generation just came out) and I haven't been terribly impressed with it. I'm wondering how great is the 100mm Zeiss Makro lens for macro photography, or for that matter, is the 50mm Makro any better for macro photography? What is the best macro lens
Thanks,
Bill

Jun 29, 2016 at 06:10 PM
LightShow
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Zeiss 100mm Makro - good macro?

I assume you mean the ZF/ZE 100/2 Marko Planer, yeah it's good.
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Zeiss-100mm-f-2-ZE-Makro-Planar-Lens-Review.aspx
http://blog.kasson.com/?p=14725
And lots of pictures:
https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=Zeiss%20100%2F2

The Zeiss 100/2 Marko Planer, Leica R 100 APO, and the Voigtlander 125 APO Macro, probably the 3 best macros, I myself have lusted after the 125 for years.

Edited on Jun 29, 2016 at 06:25 PM · View previous versions

Jun 29, 2016 at 06:14 PM
cputeq
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Zeiss 100mm Makro - good macro?

Very good lens overall - I had the ZF.1 version, very short focus throw in non-macro ranges. Also, IIRC it's only a 1:2 macro, which is plenty for me, but something to be aware of.

I think I used it more for non-macro purposes, though - great lens. Just depends on what you want or need from a lens : some people consider the Canon 65mm the "best" macro lens, others won't look at anything other than 1:1 macros, etc.

Jun 29, 2016 at 06:19 PM
vallejo
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Zeiss 100mm Makro - good macro?

Best of all times...had it for some years, ZE version...sold it when I went light Fuji, but will always miss it...

Jun 29, 2016 at 06:42 PM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Zeiss 100mm Makro - good macro?

It is "only" 1:2. Great microcontrast, great resolution, fairly prominent CA (though that's gotten blown out of proportion by forum FUD in my opinion). It also has very little curvature of field, which is quite impressive for its moderate size and wide aperture.

The Leica 100/2.8 APO-Macro-Emarit on the other hand has some field curvature. However, I prefer the color, bokeh, and very precise (720 degree) focus throw of the Leica. It's also noticeably more Apochromatic. And while the Leica is also "only" 1:2, Leica made an excellent, near-apochromatic, rather expensive 1:1 adapter which screws into the front.

Jun 29, 2016 at 06:45 PM
adamdewilde
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Zeiss 100mm Makro - good macro?

I like the 100MP a ton.. One of my favourites.

Jun 29, 2016 at 07:49 PM
freaklikeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Zeiss 100mm Makro - good macro?

billsamuels wrote:
What is the best macro lens
Thanks,
Bill

The one that gives you enough working distance between the front of the lens and the subject for lighting and allows for tilt so you can maximize your depth of focus without having to focus stack as much or at all.

But if you just want a great all-around 100 that can do 1:2 natively, the Zeiss is great. I prefer the Leica, but I mostly use it for landscapes and small animal shots.

Jun 29, 2016 at 09:31 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Zeiss 100mm Makro - good macro?

I am highly covetous of a 100MP - what I see from it is nothing short of impressive.

Jun 29, 2016 at 09:43 PM
arduluth
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Zeiss 100mm Makro - good macro?

billsamuels wrote:
What is the best macro lens

There's not really a "best macro lens." It depends. As usual, some specifics would help.

The best? Nikon Nikkor 55mm f/3.5 or f/2.8 AiS. But that's because I like my macro lenses to be small, light, and cheap. Really wish mine had 7 aperture blades, though - my only Nikon with 6 rather than 7 or 9.

Jun 29, 2016 at 10:13 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Zeiss 100mm Makro - good macro?

It is an excellent Macro lens. I especially like the very fast aperture. It does have some CA outside of the focus plane at apertures wider than f/4, but otherwise has very few flaws. Many of my favourite shots have been made with this lens.

Jun 29, 2016 at 10:30 PM
flash
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Zeiss 100mm Makro - good macro?

Just look for Ronny Olsen's shots in the Sony image thread. He makes that thing SING!

Gordon

Jun 30, 2016 at 01:26 AM
FlyPenFly
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Zeiss 100mm Makro - good macro?

The current Tamron 90mm VC Di II or whatever it's called is actually an optically excellent lens with fantastic color. It's aesthetic feel on the shell itself is a bit lacking but it's hard to beat in terms of it's photo quality.

I mean, I'd rather have the 100 Makro Planar but the Tamrons are no slouch.

Jun 30, 2016 at 02:15 AM
mustafa604
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Zeiss 100mm Makro - good macro?

I personally haven't tried it but I heard LAOWA 60mm f/2.8 is a good lens. When I was looking into macro photography I heard. But I know for sure Minolta 100 F2 or even F2.8 is one of the best macro there is.

Jun 30, 2016 at 02:46 AM
nikonos6
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Zeiss 100mm Makro - good macro?

Actually i do have both for Nikon mount right now, so might be able to contribute here.
I first got the Tamron, which was good, quick focusing and versatile as expected, but since
already having the 35 2.0 Distagon by Zeiss which has really fantastic sharpness and colors
and rendering i really wanted to get the 100 Macro Planar as well, which was coming across my way
then after a while for a good price used.
The quality is great, sharpness and rendering as expected. Colors are a bit cooler as with the 35 Distagon,
and also a little cooler than with the Tamron though.
Of course there are situations, where manual focus is not ideal and one can not always nail the shot.
Also as already mentioned the focus throw towards infinity is really short and i have to admit it is not easy
to be spot on sometimes with the Nikon D800 ( which i then use often with the LCD-Screen to be sure
to get it right when there is time to do so).
In comparison to the Tamron it seems a little sharper, but just a little and only sometimes one could tell
one apart from the other ( i did several tests), but in some situations the Tamron is a bit flat in rendering
when you use it towards infinity more than in it`s macro-range.
There the Zeiss is always really great!
So i am not really sure if i would eventually get rid of the Tamron - it has it`s own strengths being a
quick and silent focusing lens with vibration reduction as well.
I can see some situations ( travel to rather remote destinations) when wight is important too where
i would rather have the Tamron with me ( also since it is just around 40% of the price, for there is
some adventure to overcome ).
One thing just stands out for the Zeiss of course: the nice wide aperture of 2.0 means you can really use it
as a portrait-lens and thus it`s having it`s own kind of versatility.

As for the newest addition of the Tamron i can not contribute anything - could be even a little better
optically ( though the one you refer to seems not bad to me - just a little flat look under certain kind
of light conditions and rather in non-macro- area ).

Try to find a place or dealer where you can try out the Zeiss in comparison to your Tamron, and then
also try to compare it to the new Tamron as well to find out, if that is more to your likings.

Jul 02, 2016 at 12:16 AM
Keith B.
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Zeiss 100mm Makro - good macro?

I've had a copy of the ZF 100/2 since 2008. First on 12MP, now on 36MP Nikons.
I concur with the general assessment from the various posters here.
It is a very, very good 100mm lens at all object distances.
On my copy, with the usual hi-con subjects, the axial color can be made to show up at least to f/5.6. Silhouetted tree branches against a bright sky, that sort of thing.
The lens is also notable for having a smooth, unobtrusive bokeh at all distances and apertures.

Jul 02, 2016 at 03:30 AM
Frogfish
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Zeiss 100mm Makro - good macro?

billsamuels wrote:
I have the last generation Tamron 90mm Macro for my Canon (the newest generation just came out) and I haven't been terribly impressed with it. I'm wondering how great is the 100mm Zeiss Makro lens for macro photography, or for that matter, is the 50mm Makro any better for macro photography? What is the best macro lens
Thanks,
Bill

It's impossible from this post to discern exactly what it is you are looking for. I had the Tamron (early version) on a Pentax, it's a superb lens for macro and not at all bad for portraits. I have the Zeiss 100 MP, superb lens (and one of my favourite portrait & landscape lenses), but at 1: 2 and not 1:1 for detailed macro I'd take the Tamron. If you can't get great results from the Tamron the Zeiss is not a magic bullet.

Without being disrespectful maybe it's your technique and not the lens that's at fault. Are you using flexible twin flash LEDs ? That would make a huge difference straight away.

Tamron 90, on a Pentax K7, with extension tubes and twin LEDs. The yellow caterpillar is less than 1cm LONG. Any details are virtually invisible to the human eye without magnification.

Jul 02, 2016 at 08:08 AM
Ronny Olsson
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Zeiss 100mm Makro - good macro?

Thanks Gordon you too kind

100MP is a great lens... have some CA wideopen
Only magnification 1:2
The Lens extends focusing
In most cases, I use always the Extension Tubes for macro with 100MP
No AF... in some cases can AF be useful for macro images also
I'm a fanboy of the Zeiss lenses but in your case I would probably continue with Tamron which is a very good macro lens

Sony A7R II + Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 100mm f/2 by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Sony A7 + Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 100mm f/2 by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Sony A7 + Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 100mm f/2 by Ronny Olsson, on Flickr

Jul 02, 2016 at 03:05 PM
DocsPics
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Zeiss 100mm Makro - good macro?

Ronny, your work continues to amaze.

Jul 04, 2016 at 09:56 AM
magiclight
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Zeiss 100mm Makro - good macro?

Great lens. Very sharp. As mentioned above magnification 1:2 and a bit of CA wide open. It works great on my A7R2. CA wide open i noticable especiallt when compared with my ZE 135mm APO

Wonderful portrait and general purpose lens. Also performs very well at infinity. Nice colour/rendering and bokeh.

Jul 05, 2016 at 03:21 AM
billsamuels
• • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Zeiss 100mm Makro - good macro?

vallejo wrote:
Best of all times...had it for some years, ZE version...sold it when I went light Fuji, but will always miss it...

Are you talking about the Canon 65mm being the best ZE version Macro lens? Why did you think it was the best of all times?
Thanks.

Jul 05, 2016 at 07:47 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.