FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Afterglow

Dave Dillemuth
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Afterglow

I made a short trip into the Sierra backcountry last week. Unfortunately I was met with boring blue skies - great for hiking but not for image making. I was able to get a few keepers nonetheless. This image was taken about 20 minutes after sunset. Your C&C appreciated.

Jun 29, 2016 at 05:57 PM
Tom Nevesely
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Afterglow

Nice one Dave! I really like the tones and how the foreground fills in but doesn't merge with the reflection.

Jun 29, 2016 at 07:49 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Afterglow

Hey Dave,

What a wonderful looking display of soft light. Was this in Dusy Basin? The foreground rocks are throwing me.

Jim

Jun 29, 2016 at 08:52 PM
Dave Dillemuth
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Afterglow

JimFox wrote:
Hey Dave,

What a wonderful looking display of soft light. Was this in Dusy Basin? The foreground rocks are throwing me.

Jim

Hey Jim,
Yep, Dusy Basin. This is from one of the higher lakes.

Jun 29, 2016 at 09:05 PM
harshaj1
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Afterglow

Beautiful shot. Great idea to shoot the scene after sunset when there are no clouds. I think tad darker image especially for the sky will be more appealing.
Harsha

Jun 29, 2016 at 10:14 PM
Tuan Le
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Afterglow

No crazy color explosion in the sky needed here Dave. Nicely composed and it looks beautiful and serene. I'm headed to the Sierras in a month and I can hardly wait!

Jun 30, 2016 at 01:27 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Afterglow

Nice composition and light. Pretty Place. Good picture.

I would pull he curve down in the middle to make the color stronger and for it to look more like you saw? -- darker. I think it would make it more dramatic. But good as is.

Thanks for sharing. Scott

Jun 30, 2016 at 08:46 AM
Dave Dillemuth
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Afterglow

harshaj1 wrote:
Beautiful shot. Great idea to shoot the scene after sunset when there are no clouds. I think tad darker image especially for the sky will be more appealing.
Harsha

Harsha,
Thanks for commenting. I took your advice and lowered the exposure slightly and the richer rendering has grown on me.
---------------------------------------------

Tuan Le wrote:
No crazy color explosion in the sky needed here Dave. Nicely composed and it looks beautiful and serene. I'm headed to the Sierras in a month and I can hardly wait!

Tuan,
Thanks very much for commenting. I love the Sierra and try to get into the backcountry at least once a month during the summer/fall season. A magical place - I'm sure you'll enjoy!

Scott Stoness wrote:
Nice composition and light. Pretty Place. Good picture.

I would pull he curve down in the middle to make the color stronger and for it to look more like you saw? -- darker. I think it would make it more dramatic. But good as is.

Thanks for sharing. Scott

Scott,
Thanks for your input. I was initially seeking a more understated rendering but have played with it a bit more and agree that processing for a richer look works very well.

Jun 30, 2016 at 08:47 PM
zurura
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Afterglow

Very well composed image Dave. Liked it a lot.
Would have loved it a bit lighter in the centre especially the reflection part and with the sky and the actual mountains slightly darker.

Best,
Gautam

Jul 02, 2016 at 02:06 AM
DSC01
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Afterglow

Dave,
Great comp I love the way you worked the reflection puzzle.
Looks like a beautiful place to spend time.
Regards,
Dean

Jul 02, 2016 at 10:56 AM
DaleBerlin
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Afterglow

Nice shot Dave, well composed. I agree with the suggestions above. To me, it seems a little flat, and darkening may help. More contrast? Saturation? I don't know, but flat is what popped into my mind the 1st instance I saw this. It must be me, because there are many very fine photographers liking it. Sorry, just my opinion.

Jul 02, 2016 at 11:33 AM
Jeffrey
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Afterglow

Great image of one of my favorite places, Dave. I'll be on that route in two weeks. Can't wait!

Jul 02, 2016 at 02:34 PM
Dave Dillemuth
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Afterglow

zurura wrote:
Very well composed image Dave. Liked it a lot.
Would have loved it a bit lighter in the centre especially the reflection part and with the sky and the actual mountains slightly darker.

Best,
Gautam

Thanks, Gautam. Appreciate the input. I'll tinker with it a bit more.

DSC01 wrote:
Dave,
Great comp I love the way you worked the reflection puzzle.
Looks like a beautiful place to spend time.
Regards,
Dean

Thanks, Dean. Appreciate your taking time to comment.

DaleBerlin wrote:
Nice shot Dave, well composed. I agree with the suggestions above. To me, it seems a little flat, and darkening may help. More contrast? Saturation? I don't know, but flat is what popped into my mind the 1st instance I saw this. It must be me, because there are many very fine photographers liking it. Sorry, just my opinion.

Dale,
No worries. Thanks for taking time to comment. All comes down to personal taste. My intent was to process a lower key/contrast rendering. btw, I have other images that were shot earlier with alpenglow on the peaks that are very contrasty and saturated. I'll be interested to see how they are received.

Jeffrey wrote:
Great image of one of my favorite places, Dave. I'll be on that route in two weeks. Can't wait!

Thanks, Jeffery. Two weeks from now should be perfect timing to catch the peak bloom in the high Sierra (I'll be headed over Pine Creek pass at that time. I have hiked much of Sequoia/Kings Canyon backcountry over the last 20 years and would rate Dusy as spectacular as anywhere. Enjoy!

Jul 02, 2016 at 07:20 PM
wbrad
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Afterglow

Very nice image, the foreground is excellent and makes for a strong composition. I agree with others on darkening and perhaps then adding a little contrast if necessary.

Wayne

Jul 03, 2016 at 08:36 AM
Dave Dillemuth
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Afterglow

wbrad wrote:
Very nice image, the foreground is excellent and makes for a strong composition. I agree with others on darkening and perhaps then adding a little contrast if necessary.

Wayne

Thanks, Wayne. Appreciate your taking time to comment and critique.Here's I richer more contrasty version based on comments:

Jul 03, 2016 at 07:19 PM
wbrad
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Afterglow

This looks better to my eyes. Again, great image!

Wayne

Jul 03, 2016 at 07:30 PM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.