FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              7       8       end

Archive 2016 · DXOMark: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II - New Class Leader

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · DXOMark: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II - New Class Leader

DXOMark: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II - New Class Leader
DXOMark just posted their sensor review and lab tests for the Canon EOS-1D X Mark II

"The Canon performs exceptionally well. Not only does it have a wider useful dynamic range at base and low ISOs than the Nikon, it’s not far behind the Sony, and that small difference won’t be noticed in use. The Canon sensor continues to offer a wide dynamic range at every ISO setting, improving on the Sony from ISO800 onwards, and falling only slightly behind the Nikon’s strong performance from ISO6400 onwards. Indeed, the difference at most is around +0.6EV. Canon cameras are known for high ISO noise performance, and the Mark II surpasses both the Nikon and Sony by nearly +0.5EV."

See all test measurements at DXOMark.com

--------

Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Premium Kit with 64GB CFast 2.0 Memory Card and Reader ($5,999)
B&H Photo, Adorama

Jun 30, 2016 at 01:43 AM
artificialyello
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · DXOMark: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II - New Class Leader

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Canon--EOS-1D-X-Mark-II-versus-Nikon-D5-versus-Canon-EOS-1Dx___1071_1062_753

Jun 29, 2016 at 10:20 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · DXOMark: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II - New Class Leader

Looks like the sensor factory got the Canon and Nikon addresses mixed up on the last shipments...

Jun 29, 2016 at 10:25 AM
artificialyello
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · DXOMark: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II - New Class Leader

molson wrote:
Looks like the sensor factory got the Canon and Nikon addresses mixed up on the last shipments...

That could be true... ;-)

Jun 29, 2016 at 10:32 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · DXOMark: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II - New Class Leader

What Has DXO gone mad?

Jun 29, 2016 at 01:46 PM
Matt Howell

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · DXOMark: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II - New Class Leader

First Brexit and now this. It's the End of the World as we know it... and I feel fine.

Jun 29, 2016 at 02:19 PM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · DXOMark: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II - New Class Leader

1DX2 vs. D5
Could DXO skew the results anymore towards color depth for portraits? Not exactly the major role of those bodies. What a joke.

Jun 29, 2016 at 02:19 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · DXOMark: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II - New Class Leader

Zenon Char wrote:
What Has DXO gone mad?

Maybe Sony's sponsorship money has run out...

Jun 29, 2016 at 02:23 PM
vpPhoto

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · DXOMark: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II - New Class Leader

And maybe Canon just finally made really great sensor (read competitive not only at high ISOs).

If you dig deeper beyond the single number results, it's obvious, that sensors in both cameras (1DxII and D5) are balanced slightly differently. This my produce equal "Score", which BTW. I really don't give a s.....

What's truly amazing, that the new camera maintains same DR at ISO 1600 as 1DsIII and 1Dx at ISO100! Yet they upped metamerism index from 73 on 1Dx to 81 on 1DxII (still not in the heights of 1DsIII and 1DIII, which both scored 86). The improvement on 1Dx isn't only at base ISO, but goes up to ISO3200!

I still can't understand why Nikon replaced the D4s sensor with D5 sensor...

Jun 29, 2016 at 02:46 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · DXOMark: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II - New Class Leader

They still couldn't bring themselves to give the Canon a higher overall score than the Nikon. I guess that Color depth is mighty important stuff Even though DXO's own description says scores differences of less than 1 bit are barely noticeable...the difference is 1 bit.

Jun 29, 2016 at 03:01 PM
Matt Howell

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · DXOMark: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II - New Class Leader

Don't forget the 80D, also a world class Canon sensor. It is a big improvement in dynamic range, the highest resolution Canon APS-C sensor ever, and with world class DPAF that no one else has. As far as I am concerned, Canon is back in the sensor technology lead.

Jun 29, 2016 at 03:11 PM
ArizonaImage
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · DXOMark: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II - New Class Leader

Hmm, from what I've seen from a few examples, it seemed that the D5 constantly had better ISO performance and dynamic range. But, to each their own opinion while the Canon had much better 4K video

Jun 29, 2016 at 03:19 PM
Matt Howell

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · DXOMark: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II - New Class Leader

ggreene wrote:
1DX2 vs. D5
Could DXO skew the results anymore towards color depth for portraits? Not exactly the major role of those bodies. What a joke.

DXO painted themselves into a corner by weighting the portrait (color depth) score so highly and inappropriately for general photography. If they changed this weighting now, they would have to revise every camera score on the site. This would unavoidably bring about lower rivised Sony and Nikon scores. The result would be a SoNik boom so powerful, that the world would never recover from the subsequent simultaneous meltdown of egos. Please be careful what you ask for.

Jun 29, 2016 at 03:29 PM
nighley

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · DXOMark: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II - New Class Leader

SouthwestS2K wrote:
Hmm, from what I've seen from a few examples, it seemed that the D5 constantly had better ISO performance and dynamic range. But, to each their own opinion while the Canon had much better 4K video

I have no knowledge about how the RAW data is processed whatsoever and I haven't used the D5 but here are my 2 cents: The high ISO performance of the D5 comes with less details (dpreview studio scene) thus I believe that they are doing some kind of noise reduction on the RAW data which skews the sports score. It might look better noise wise but you pay with details.

Jun 29, 2016 at 04:53 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · DXOMark: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II - New Class Leader

I think the thing that surprised me the most was that the 1DX2 got a better ISO score than the D5. All initial talk and samples were showing the D5 to be ahead in the high-ISO category and the 1DX2 to be ahead in the low ISO DR category (which DXO agrees with).

I also noticed that the D5 samples (from DPR) at high-ISO showed better noise control but lost detail compared to the Canon.

Jun 29, 2016 at 06:35 PM
notherenow
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · DXOMark: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II - New Class Leader

You have to realise that the high ISO score is a real ISO that meets their requirements ("Thus low-light ISO is the highest ISO setting for a camera that allows it to achieve an SNR of 30dB while keeping a good dynamic range of 9 EVs and a color depth of 18bits.").

If you varied any of the criteria then different cameras will rise or fall.
Some cameras meet the 9EV requirement even at ISO 12800 or higher. Both the D5 and 1DXii are over 9EV at ISO 12800.

The Nikon D5 meets the 18bit colour depth at ISO 6400 (the 1DXii just misses out at 6400).

The thing that brings them both back is the SNR.

I think they must be using measured ISO though.
If you changed the requirement to something like 24db or even 28db the high ISO scores for those cameras would rise and maybe a fair bit.

Jun 29, 2016 at 07:15 PM
dehowie
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · DXOMark: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II - New Class Leader

Is DXO a laughing stock now or what...
Inconsistencies, hidden agendas you name it.
Two cameras designed for sports action one is clearly superior..same rating.
Yep only DXO..

Jun 29, 2016 at 07:36 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · DXOMark: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II - New Class Leader

dehowie wrote:
Two cameras designed for sports action one is clearly superior..same rating.

Not really.

Jun 29, 2016 at 09:51 PM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · DXOMark: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II - New Class Leader

Matt Howell wrote:
Don't forget the 80D, also a world class Canon sensor. It is a big improvement in dynamic range, the highest resolution Canon APS-C sensor ever, and with world class DPAF that no one else has. As far as I am concerned, Canon is back in the sensor technology lead.

I'll back that. Took my 7D2 and 100-400 II to a camera store and tried the 80D on it. No MFA and the 100% crops looked better that my 7D2.

Jun 29, 2016 at 09:57 PM
svassh
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · DXOMark: Canon EOS-1D X Mark II - New Class Leader

I refuse to even look, it will just give me GAS.

Jun 29, 2016 at 10:44 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.