New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · 'Point & Shoot' size camera with good low light capabilities

anais123

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 'Point & Shoot' size camera with good low light capabilities

I have a Canon 5D Mark ii for a little 'pro' work, but would like a small sized camera I can take around for anywhere use, something with good low light capabilities, a flash, and (preferably) a selfie screen. I would also like the camera to be able to produce a bokeh. Is that too much to ask?

Something not astronomical in price but reasonable, as it would be my take around, throw around camera. Any advice would be appreciated. Something not astronomical in price but reasonable, as it would be my take around, throw around camera. Any advice would be appreciated.

Edited on Jun 28, 2016 at 04:40 PM · View previous versions

Jun 28, 2016 at 04:15 PM
anais123

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 'Point & Shoot' size camera with good low light capabilities

Jun 28, 2016 at 04:37 PM
TMaG82
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 'Point & Shoot' size camera with good low light capabilities

I can't think of more than a handful of cameras with an APS-C sensor with a selfie screen other than the Fuji X70/X-A2, the Sony a5100 style line and the Canon EOS M3.

Possibly the M3 with the 22 f/2 will work for you, it has a selfie screen, a flash, a touch screen, and with the 22 f/2 can do decent enough bokeh. Issues are the native lens lineup is poor, AF speeds are lackluster, and write speeds/buffer are poor.

Jun 28, 2016 at 06:59 PM
anais123

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 'Point & Shoot' size camera with good low light capabilities

Is the M3 a Canon?

Jun 28, 2016 at 08:38 PM
nick53097
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 'Point & Shoot' size camera with good low light capabilities

I am using Nikon Coolpix A as point and shoot.
Awesome little camera with large sensor
You can find it used for less than $250

Jun 29, 2016 at 10:27 AM
anais123

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 'Point & Shoot' size camera with good low light capabilities

nick53097 wrote:
I am using Nikon Coolpix A as point and shoot.
Awesome little camera with large sensor
You can find it used for less than $250

Does the Nikon Coolpix A have good low light capabilities and bokeh? I note it doesn't have a built-in flash.

Jun 29, 2016 at 10:43 AM
shmn
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 'Point & Shoot' size camera with good low light capabilities

Coolpix A has pop-up flash. Very similar camera to the Ricoh GR. Both excellent cameras with decent low light capability (APS-C sensors). Bokeh...is subjective but I think the GR has good bokeh. I would get a GR over the Nikon but the Nikon can be had for cheaper.

Jun 29, 2016 at 12:05 PM
skid00skid00
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 'Point & Shoot' size camera with good low light capabilities

I've had the Canon G7X ii for a month. Done a lot of test shots. Shot it hand-held almost an hour after sundown, at all ISO's up to 12,800, and I'm really impressed. My 'real' camera is a 5D3. The G7x ii's sensor has that super-low-noise attribute that everyone loves in the Nikon cameras. The G7x ii is absolutely usable for shots at ISO 3200, and higher if not pixel-peeping at 100%.

I'll try to post some of those pics here...

Jun 29, 2016 at 01:18 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 'Point & Shoot' size camera with good low light capabilities

remember, under some conditions, any EVF will make it a punt & shoot camera as you cannot really see the scene well

Jun 29, 2016 at 01:38 PM
skid00skid00
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 'Point & Shoot' size camera with good low light capabilities

These are full size, PP'd in LR to my taste of NR vs detail. These were hand-held.

https://flic.kr/p/HGJrfS

https://flic.kr/p/JzSipb

https://flic.kr/p/Jw3tg4

https://flic.kr/p/JzSFb7

Jun 29, 2016 at 01:49 PM
danslides
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 'Point & Shoot' size camera with good low light capabilities

Surprised no one said original RX1. For the money, nothing is touching that. Hell, it even punches above it's price range no problem. No selfie screen, but all the goods outweigh the bads.

Warning - you will end up upgrading to the mark ii version.

Jun 29, 2016 at 04:12 PM
Mike V
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 'Point & Shoot' size camera with good low light capabilities

Ricoh GR or GR II.

Jun 29, 2016 at 11:47 PM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 'Point & Shoot' size camera with good low light capabilities

danslides wrote:
Surprised no one said original RX1.

Well to be honest the RX1 is more of a point and wait - especially given the desire for use in low light.

Jun 30, 2016 at 04:23 AM
Robert Snow
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 'Point & Shoot' size camera with good low light capabilities

I also bought a G7x mark II and am quite impressed with it. The 1" sensor does he job well in low light (at least for me).

Has a pop up flash that can be laid back for a little bounce fill, but has no shoe for a larger flash, but in all fairness I think that would defeat the intended use for this camera.

I normally shoot a Canon 80D.

bob snow

Jun 30, 2016 at 09:56 AM
anais123

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 'Point & Shoot' size camera with good low light capabilities

How about the Canon PowerShot G7 X and canon g9x?

Jul 01, 2016 at 04:40 PM
anais123

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 'Point & Shoot' size camera with good low light capabilities

shmn wrote:
Coolpix A has pop-up flash. Very similar camera to the Ricoh GR. Both excellent cameras with decent low light capability (APS-C sensors). Bokeh...is subjective but I think the GR has good bokeh. I would get a GR over the Nikon but the Nikon can be had for cheaper.

I can't find the info online. It seems the Ricoh GR doesn't have a flash. Does it?

Jul 01, 2016 at 04:46 PM
anais123

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 'Point & Shoot' size camera with good low light capabilities

anais123 wrote:
I can't find the info online. It seems the Ricoh GR doesn't have a flash. Does it?

Nevermind, thank you. I see that it does have a flash.

Jul 01, 2016 at 04:51 PM
nick53097
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 'Point & Shoot' size camera with good low light capabilities

Few samples with Nikon Coolpix A

Jul 08, 2016 at 12:43 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.