New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Photo backpack advise

GiovanniAprea
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Photo backpack advise

Long story short, I have problem to shoulder tendons and as such I have to give up my beloved (and ripped off) Domke F3, ThinkTank, Crumpler... I have a computer backpack which serves me now, not the best to fit camera gear but it feels so much better with the load on both shoulders (my traps are so grateful!), I need to carry a large DSL-R body with a lens attached and a couple extra lens, a few pockets to store personal belongings and a sleeve to fit an iPad or a MacBookAir would do really well.

I don't like waist belt or things too big, oh, I forgot to mention I have an Explorer 7 backpack which never got out of home, got it as a gift but too big and bulky for everyday's gear, what would you suggest which doesn't scream "photo gear!!!"?

Thank you

Jun 28, 2016 at 07:37 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Photo backpack advise

I'd get a normal "day pack" backpack. Many of them have removable waist straps, and there's plenty of room for a mix of photography gear and personal stuff like a raincoat, sweater, and some food. I often use a North Face Recon II day pack when traveling. I use neoprene bags/cases from Op/Tech and LensCoat to protect my lenses and cameras, when they're in the backpack (and in most other bags, too).

Jun 28, 2016 at 08:49 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Photo backpack advise

If you don't have a good waist belt, it will rip up your shoulders even more.
You'll have to decide which you prefer.
Definitely get a hiking, not photography, backup as Jim recommended. I think without a decent waist belt, your shoulders will not be happy.

I've been casually looking at hiking daypacks and found the Osprey Packs Kode 32 Backpack.
It has a nice waist belt, airline carryon compatible, and has a zippered panel instead of a top loader. This will make getting your gear out much easier.
You can even buy an expensive insert for it
http://trekpak.com/osprey-kode-32/
Or better yet use sleeves or pouches for your gear.

Good luck!

David

Jun 28, 2016 at 10:57 AM
chrisdupe
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Photo backpack advise

You can't really go wrong with anything from Think Tank or Mindshift Gear. Check out their websites and decide which fits your needs. I highly recommend the Streetwalker series by Think Tank if you want a less outdoorsy pack or any of the Mindshift bags for more of a hiking type pack. They are very comfortable, high quality bags and the company is awesome. If you have any questions on any of the bags just call them up. They are always very friendly and helpful. Other than my old Domke, they are all I use

Jun 29, 2016 at 07:33 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Photo backpack advise

dgdg wrote:
If you don't have a good waist belt, it will rip up your shoulders even more...

I agree, but I took the OP's word for it, when he said,

GiovanniAprea wrote:
... I don't like waist belt ...

Jun 29, 2016 at 09:05 AM
uscmatt99
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Photo backpack advise

One of my favorite backpack designs, though I don't own one, is the Tom Bihn Synapse. I do have a few of their other travel and work related products though. Not sure what kit you're planning to carry, but the main pocket could accomodate the body/lens combo. If you have two extra lenses, use the side pockets. If you have one extra lens, you can use the water bottle pocket. Tons of organization, and a very well thought out design, excellent materials and construction. The bag looks small (small and large versions available), but they can hold a tremendous amount of gear.

Jun 29, 2016 at 09:47 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Photo backpack advise

jcolwell wrote:
I agree, but I took the OP's word for it, when he said,

Yup, I hear ya'.

David

Jun 29, 2016 at 01:28 PM
JPAZ

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Photo backpack advise

chrisdupe wrote:
......... I highly recommend the Streetwalker series by Think Tank ......

+1

Like you I have developed shoulder issues. I have always shot out of a shoulder bag but that has become too uncomfortable. After trying a number of bags, I settled on the Streetwalker. They also have a larger Pro and even larger Hard drive version.

For perspective, I carried a 5dIII with either a 250105 or 24-70 attached and still had room for a 16-35, 100-400, cards, filters and batteries. I could probably have added more but wanted to limit the weight. The waist belt is not the most padded belt but does the job and the bag was really comfortable to carry with or without an attached tripod. BTW, I am 5'9" but the bag was a good fit for me.

Jun 29, 2016 at 02:49 PM
GiovanniAprea
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Photo backpack advise

My shoulder problem is that the biceps long head tendons are not in their correct position where they insert in the shoulder bone channel and as such they are constantly inflamed and carrying a shoulder bag, which I have done for years, did create an unbalanced trap whose side effect is that it is always contracted meaning the shoulder is always raised towards the ear so a backpack would help at least to balance the load and not to make the trap problem worse.

This said I don't like those big packs with a padded waist bag nor I like those which scream "photo gear inside", I would like something with some padding and more casual with room to fit a DSL-R with a mid sized lens on and a couple more lenses and possibly a laptop pocket.

Let's shorten the list and thank you so much for your suggestions

Jun 29, 2016 at 03:36 PM
danslides
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Photo backpack advise

Have you tried getting a nice insert and using it any bag you find comfortable?

I was looking for a very specific bag. I wanted something nice/leather, not huge, enough space to carry a body with lens or two, plus my laptop. I didn't want bag that looked like a camera bag, and I didn't want something that looked cheap. The closest thing I liked was the leather ONA backpack, but I figured for that kind of money, I might as well splurge.

So I ended up with an expensive backpack from a luxury brand - it was crazy expensive, but worth it. It's comfy, fits everything I need, not huge, and looks awesome. I picked up an insert off of amazon that takes up the bottom 1/3 of the bag, which can fit the A7RII with lens mounted, a second lens, and little room for misc accessories. Now it's just holding the Q, so there's a ton of space in there.

If you can find the right insert (get a nice one, not a cheap one), you can use anything that's comfortable for you. I like this idea because your not limited to "camera" bags.

Jun 29, 2016 at 04:08 PM
pixelrandy
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Photo backpack advise

Hi,

Randy here from Think Tank Photo / MindShift Gear.

If your shoulders have problems you need to focus on a pack that's going to put the weight of the bags at your hips. That's where most of the weight should be resting when a bag's setup correctly. However you would need to alter your bag preference to save your shoulders as you've written:

> "This said I don't like those big packs with a padded waist bag nor I like those which scream "photo gear inside""

It's my opinion that you should really reconsider your position on packs with bigger waist belts if you want to save your shoulders from further damage and pain.

There are many packs with great waist belts and suspension/harness systems that don't scream backpack. @danslides recommendation of finding a generic pack that you find comfortable and retrofitting it with an insert is a good option.

Our MindShift Gear right FirstLight packs are the most comfortable photo packs I've used. I used two 40Ls, one for our DJI Phantom 4 and the other for my 4x5 camera. All sizes have great waist belts, adjustable torso harness lengths, shoulder strap load lifters, and an aluminium stay. I'd look for a bag, even a generic one, that has similar features if you're looking for comfort first.

http://www.mindshiftgear.com/collections/backpacks

Let me know if you have any questions. Please ask here as I don't reply to private messages on FM.

Best of luck in your search.

Cheers,

Randy

Jun 29, 2016 at 06:50 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Photo backpack advise

GiovanniAprea wrote:
This said I don't like those big packs with a padded waist bag nor I like those which scream "photo gear inside", I would like something with some padding and more casual with room to fit a DSL-R with a mid sized lens on and a couple more lenses and possibly a laptop pocket.

Let's shorten the list and thank you so much for your suggestions

I don't think this pack exists. You need the weight on your shoulders or your waist (or both). It has to go somewhere with enough material for the job.

Good luck and let us know what you settle on.

David

Jun 30, 2016 at 07:04 AM
uscmatt99
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Photo backpack advise

It's going to end up being a very personal choice, especially in light of your biceps tendinopathy and desire to carry the weight solely on your shoulders. You'll need a pack with proper spacing of the shoulder straps, and proper curvature as they come over your chest, and a sternum strap if you want to carry all the weight this way.

I have a Streetwalker HD and F-Stop Loka. For me, the Streetwalker is a poor fit for carrying around, and I really only used it to get my gear through an airport and to the hotel. This was even after replacing the included belt with a padded one. There is no internal frame to put the weight on my hips. The Loka can be worn all day, fits me quite well for long day hikes.

I just saw you are in Italy, so Tom Bihn would be difficult with import taxes and shipping. I have tried on the Mindshift Gear packs, and they are worlds more comfortable than the Streetwalker on me. However if you're set against using a pack with suspension to put weight on your hips, your best bet would be picking up a lightweight nondescript unpadded rucksack and using wraps on your camera gear, anything to keep your carried weight down.

Jul 01, 2016 at 07:07 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.