New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Sunset along the boardwalk

lighthound
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sunset along the boardwalk

Just got home yesterday and finished washing and scrubbing down the camper and all our gear. What a PITA.

I have been deleting images by the hundreds (shot over 1250 frames) and decided to take a break and process one of my worst landscapes from the trip to see what magic I might have gotten. The sky was boring with no clouds but I did get some nice color. The heat index was near 110 deg for most of the week so I'm thinking that might have helped along with the 85% humidity.

Ok not really but I was telling myself that all week to make me feel better.

The empty sky was a bummer thus this is not one of my better shots. I'll be getting to (hopefully) much better images in a few days.

Let me know what you think.

Dave

The boardwalk

Jun 27, 2016 at 06:41 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sunset along the boardwalk

Too self-critical!
I think it's a fine capture.
For me the centering works well. The sunburst helps add drama. There is a pleasing color gradient in the sky, a nice recovery (I am assuming) of shadows bringing out the vegetation in a realistic way. Saturation looks pleasing/realistic.
Is it an OMG Look at That! image? No. Does it need to be? I am fine with calm, pretty, peaceful, memorable.
Where is this Dave?
Scott

Jun 27, 2016 at 07:45 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sunset along the boardwalk

Scott pretty much summed it up.

I like it! Sky is nice and subtly beautiful.

Do I see some haloing on the horizon?

Cheers!

Jeff

Jun 27, 2016 at 08:35 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sunset along the boardwalk

This is a very well done into the sun image. Halos? Could it be something like a marine layer?

Jun 27, 2016 at 09:18 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sunset along the boardwalk

Thanks Scott, Jeff and Ben.

I'm a little rough on myself I guess but I do like how this one turned out. Of the many sunrise and sunset shots I took last week, I think this was one of my biggest let downs as far as boring sky. But as Scott mentioned, the smooth transition and calmness has it's own merits and I think it works well here.

As for my choice to perfectly center it, well that was a no brainier for me because of the way the sun was directly lined up down the boardwalk. I'm a sucker for symmetry and this view was just begging for it.

I failed to mention that this is a 3 frame blend (HDR) so nope, no shadow recovery needed here. I'm relieved to hear that it looks natural as I was trying hard to keep it looking natural and not to get an HDR look.

This composition happened almost by chance. My targeted destination for the sunset that evening was much further out on this boardwalk which goes out further into the marsh than what you can see here beyond the island. I just happened to see this as I was walking out and couldn't pass it up! I'm glad I did because my intended location for that evening turned out pretty bland with that sky and this island really makes the image work I think.

Scott, this was shot on Hunting Island SC where we camp every year.

Thanks again folks!

More to come later.
Oh, and wait till you see some of the bird shots I nailed! I'm deleting images I would have died to get just a year ago.

Dave

Jun 28, 2016 at 08:18 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sunset along the boardwalk

Nicely done Dave, despite the lack of clouds. Looking forward to seeing more of your trip photos.

Steve

Jun 28, 2016 at 10:00 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sunset along the boardwalk

Thanks Steve! If you want to see a couple of Fiona looking cool on the beach, I posted them in the Canon Canines thread.

This one and those are all I got to present so far.

Dave

Jun 28, 2016 at 11:46 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.