New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Largest CF and SD cards for a 1DS Mark II

Ted Sherman
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Largest CF and SD cards for a 1DS Mark II

What are the largest CF and SD cards that can be used in a 1DS Mark II? I've read on another forum that the camera will take only up to a 2g SD card. I've got an 8g CF in now; I tried a 64g SD, but it wouldn't format it.

Jun 27, 2016 at 06:04 PM
mb126
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Largest CF and SD cards for a 1DS Mark II

Might depend on FW but mine has no trouble with 32gb CF cards.

Jun 27, 2016 at 06:17 PM
Ted Sherman
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Largest CF and SD cards for a 1DS Mark II

I think I've got the latest firmware--1.2.6.

Jun 27, 2016 at 07:46 PM
Andrew J
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Largest CF and SD cards for a 1DS Mark II

Using this app to format the card to FAT32 might do the trick:
http://fat32-format.en.softonic.com/

Jun 27, 2016 at 08:11 PM
Daigen-za

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Largest CF and SD cards for a 1DS Mark II

I use a pair of 32GB Sandisk cards (CF & SDHC) in my 1DsMkII - without any problems.

Have not tried any cards larger than 32GB.

Jun 27, 2016 at 08:33 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Largest CF and SD cards for a 1DS Mark II

I use 32GB cards in my 1DsII without problem.

Jun 27, 2016 at 09:57 PM

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Largest CF and SD cards for a 1DS Mark II

My old 1D Mark II N could only use SD(HC) cards up to 32GB because starting from 64GB they're actually of the SDXC standard. Frustratingly enough, my current 1D Mark IV from 5 years later can't use the SDXC cards either. So I guess at least with the SD storage, 32GB is the limit.

Jun 28, 2016 at 03:13 AM
Andrew J
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Largest CF and SD cards for a 1DS Mark II

Snopchenko wrote:
My old 1D Mark II N could only use SD(HC) cards up to 32GB because starting from 64GB they're actually of the SDXC standard. Frustratingly enough, my current 1D Mark IV from 5 years later can't use the SDXC cards either. So I guess at least with the SD storage, 32GB is the limit.

1D mkIV uses all 64gb SD cards that have been formatted to FAT32 using the utility I posted above.

Jun 28, 2016 at 05:10 AM

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Largest CF and SD cards for a 1DS Mark II

Andrew J wrote:
1D mkIV uses all 64gb SD cards that have been formatted to FAT32 using the utility I posted above.

64 GB only, or larger as well? This might be an interesting idea to pursue, thanks for the heads up. I used to think that SDXC cards are somehow incompatible on a hardware level (but the equipment that uses them has backwards compatibility); I need to try this out. Any caveats you know of?

Jun 28, 2016 at 08:19 AM
Andrew J
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Largest CF and SD cards for a 1DS Mark II

Just that you need to format on the PC from time to time. Microsoft decided on their own with no evidence, that 64 GB ( and higher) media should be eFAT. That is the only problem where hardware (like MKIV) doesn't recognize eFAT. I have been doing this for over a year with out a single problem. Also works on micro-SD cards for use in phones and GoPro type cameras. Haven't tried larger than 64 GB in the MKIV.

Jun 28, 2016 at 08:35 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Largest CF and SD cards for a 1DS Mark II

Andrew J wrote:
Just that you need to format on the PC from time to time. Microsoft decided on their own with no evidence, that 64 GB ( and higher) media should be eFAT. That is the only problem where hardware (like MKIV) doesn't recognize eFAT. I have been doing this for over a year with out a single problem. Also works on micro-SD cards for use in phones and GoPro type cameras. Haven't tried larger than 64 GB in the MKIV.

IIRC MS decided to limit FAT32 to 32GB back when they were trying to get people from FAT formatted hard drives to NTFS (Win2K era). exFAT was not used until later.
At least the Canon newer bodies can accept exFAT computer formatted >32GB CF cards although the bodies still format the CF cards as FAT32. It's rather strange.

EBH

Jun 29, 2016 at 01:19 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.