New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Aimez vous B&W?

nugeny
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Aimez vous B&W?

Here is an image from Palouse, 2 versions, colors and B&W.
All opinions, critique and advises are appreciated.

Jun 27, 2016 at 11:38 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Aimez vous B&W?

The Palouse is all about color, I assume this is from Steptoe Butte. I prefer the color version. 1000 ISO is pretty high for a landscape. I can't see any noise ate web size however.

Jun 27, 2016 at 12:10 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Aimez vous B&W?

I usually tend to gravitate towards mono shots, but color for me here all the way.

Perhaps take a sliver off the bottom as well?

Very pretty shot, love the rolling hills and varying tones.

Cheers!

Jeff

Jun 27, 2016 at 12:15 PM
rgoosney
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Aimez vous B&W?

Color for me too, the B/W looks a little blown out. I love the rolling hills, nice work.

Jun 27, 2016 at 12:46 PM
rsk7
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Aimez vous B&W?

I think there are a couple areas that could be improved:

The horizon line is not showing but the image looks like it is tilted to the left. If you look closely at the trees they do not appear vertical.

If you are going for BW image I think you need very smooth gradients to pull it off so the shade differences are gradual. The fields in the foreground show lots of very contrasty rows from the seeder and fertilizer tracks. Maybe try reducing the contrast in the fields and see if you can smooth that out.

Agree with previous comments about the highlights be a bit bright? Try pulling it down a bit.

While the Palouse has amazing color, with the right lighting the BW from there can be amazing too.

Rick

Jun 27, 2016 at 01:20 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Aimez vous B&W?

rsk7 wrote:

The horizon line is not showing but the image looks like it is tilted to the left. If you look closely at the trees they do not appear vertical.

If you are going for BW image I think you need very smooth gradients to pull it off so the shade differences are gradual. The fields in the foreground show lots of very contrasty rows from the seeder and fertilizer tracks. Maybe try reducing the contrast in the fields and see if you can smooth that out.

Agree with previous comments about the
...Show more

Nice capture of these beautiful rolling hills. My only comment is that on my monitor your color version looks over saturated. If that was your intention and vision, then please disregard this . My personal preference is more realistic landscape colors, so I'd be reducing the saturation.

Steve

Jun 27, 2016 at 03:38 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Aimez vous B&W?

eeneryma wrote:
Nice capture of these beautiful rolling hills. My only comment is that on my monitor your color version looks over saturated. If that was your intention and vision, then please disregard this . My personal preference is more realistic landscape colors, so I'd be reducing the saturation.

Steve

Looking at the shot at home I will agree with this, most noticeably the hill on the left edge of the frame above halfway up.

Jun 27, 2016 at 03:45 PM
nugeny
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Aimez vous B&W?

ben egbert wrote:
The Palouse is all about color, I assume this is from Steptoe Butte. I prefer the color version. 1000 ISO is pretty high for a landscape. I can't see any noise ate web size however.

---------------------------------------------

beavens wrote:
I usually tend to gravitate towards mono shots, but color for me here all the way.

Perhaps take a sliver off the bottom as well?

Very pretty shot, love the rolling hills and varying tones.

Cheers!

Jeff

rgoosney wrote:
Color for me too, the B/W looks a little blown out. I love the rolling hills, nice work.

rsk7 wrote:

Agree with previous comments about the
...Show more

eeneryma wrote:

Steve

beavens wrote:
Looking at the shot at home I will agree with this, most noticeably the hill on the left edge of the frame above halfway up.

Thank you all friends. I am with most of you: I see mostly in colors, specially here in Palouse. As far as the saturation is concerned, I plead guilty. I love saturation and contrasty. Maybe because my eyes are less sensitive? Any way good that we have different tastes.

Jun 27, 2016 at 07:57 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.