New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Pet Photography C&C

jzzhu1989

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Pet Photography C&C

Hi Folks,

I've just started photography about 2 month ago and prior to this i really had no photographic sense and my phone snaps were always deleted by the missus. Over-night i became suddenly abit obsessed with photography and have tried to learn as much as I can. Since she is not exactly a willing model and tends to associate her keen interest in chocolate with how my photos "make" her look overweight so my two Japanese Spitz has been my models.

I was hoping you fine folks can have a look at some photos and give any critics and constructive criticism on how to better compose/edit these photos.

Thanks in advance!

1. Sony GM 85 @ f1.4
DSC05021-Edit-2-Edit.jpg by Jason Zhu, on Flickr

2. Sony GM 85 @ f1.4
DSC04888-Edit.jpg by Jason Zhu, on Flickr

3. Sony 70-200, 70mm @ f4
DSC03767 by Jason Zhu, on Flickr

4. Sony 55 @ f2
DSC03742 by Jason Zhu, on Flickr

5. Sony 70-200, 98mm @ f4
DSC03935 by Jason Zhu, on Flickr

6. Sony 70-200, 200mm @ f4
DSC04011 by Jason Zhu, on Flickr

Jun 26, 2016 at 09:34 PM
Dave_McGowen
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Pet Photography C&C

#4 and #5 are great! I don't like where the dog is cut off in #2, just looks awkward to me. In #6 the out of focus paw in the foreground is distracting. I like how #3 looks like it is telling a story (waiting for master to get home), which the paw wasn't cut off though.

Just my 2 cents, Dave

Jun 26, 2016 at 10:54 PM
jzzhu1989

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Pet Photography C&C

Thanks Dave for your feedback, still getting the hang of cropping. With the limited time to take shots, the focus, trying to work in rule of thirds i often forget about the border will definitely work on it!

I actually spent about a hour on the floor for #3, with a tripod setup. This picture happened when a car honked outside and they both looked over, prob about 3 seconds in total. Was disappointed I didnt get the front paw. Do you think a close crop to crop out both his legs will be better then leaving it as it is?

Best Regards
Jason

Jun 26, 2016 at 11:04 PM
Jim Rickards
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Pet Photography C&C

Some nice images in the set, Jason. I think composition/cropping is your weak point. Here's my pic by pic critique:

#1. Two things stand out for me. The "half eye". Showing the entire eye or completely hiding the far eye usually works best. Also the main focus of the shot should be the dog and here the bright foreground is competing.

#2. Cropping off the top AND a side is usually not best. Here you have the right side and bottom both cropped. I think you missed the ROT you mentioned too. Put the eyes on the ROT line rather than the bulk of the body.

#3. The main feature (nearest dog) looks great. I see no reason to crop off the feet, though. And there are a lot of distractions in the background. (bright spot left edge, blue thing top left and red on the right side).

#4. This is a cute image - nice reflection. The weak point is the busy background. Plan your backgrounds to avoid these things by moving around left and right. Positioning the dog's eye at ROT might improve the shot too.

#5. Not bad. The light isn't reaching the eyes well to provide catchlights.

#6. The light is a small problem here (the line of shadow, right through the main viewing point). The cropped ear and OOF foot are also issues.

Hope these observations are useful to you.

Jun 27, 2016 at 09:00 AM
jzzhu1989

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Pet Photography C&C

Thanks for your kind words and taking the time to look through my images and provide feedback and critics. Really appreciate it, I will take these onboard to look out for in the future!

Jun 27, 2016 at 09:09 AM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.