Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · San Francisco: Use caution in tourist areas. Video of daylight armed amb...

chouette

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · San Francisco: Use caution in tourist areas. Video of daylight armed ambush.

Just saw this video of a brazen armed robbery which happened yesterday in broad daylight on what looks like a safe street in San Francisco near the popular Lombard St (the famous "crooked" one). Even in a group, the tourists were targeted for attack. Amazing and courageous work by the SFPD who were on top of it this time.

Unfortunately, this sort of thing has been happening in San Francisco a lot lately, especially in tourist areas like North Beach, Lombard St., and Twin Peaks. Hopefully this example will be effective as a deterrent against other criminals.

Always be aware of your surroundings. This incident also prompted me to take action to get my camera gear fully covered by insurance.

Jun 26, 2016 at 03:34 PM
Chance2
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · San Francisco: Use caution in tourist areas. Video of daylight armed ambush.

Now that's good police work. Let's hope the perpetrators aren't already back on the streets and on to bigger and more violent crimes.

Thanks for sharing. Sad this stuff happens.

Jun 26, 2016 at 04:36 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · San Francisco: Use caution in tourist areas. Video of daylight armed ambush.

Robberies happen in San Francisco... just like in every major city frequented by tourists who carry expensive stuff and cash and whose attention is often elsewhere.

When you photograph in San Francisco, as I do all the time, just use normal good sense about where you go and when you go there — the usual tourist stuff about not being too casual with expensive thing and about being aware of your surroundings.

And, yes, hats off to the SFPD for their work on this one!

Dan

http://gallery.gdanmitchell.com/gallery/var/resizes/HumanWorld/Cities/UnitedStates/SanFrancisco/BlackandWhite/PostAndGrantNightSF_BW20150725.jpg

Jun 28, 2016 at 03:19 PM
Craig Gillette
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · San Francisco: Use caution in tourist areas. Video of daylight armed ambush.

I've seen this discussed on another forum and part of the talk was that the area was staked out. Whether for this "gang" or something else but that may explain the plain vehicles and the fast responses, etc.

Jun 29, 2016 at 06:54 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · San Francisco: Use caution in tourist areas. Video of daylight armed ambush.

Craig Gillette wrote:
I've seen this discussed on another forum and part of the talk was that the area was staked out. Whether for this "gang" or something else but that may explain the plain vehicles and the fast responses, etc.

The news reports attribute it to ongoing undercover work by the SFPD to deal with robberies and, perhaps even more, car break ins. Whatever the reason, the cops were most certainly in the right place at the right time, and it was wonderful to see them at work. I'm betting the perps didn't know what hit them.

Dan

Jun 29, 2016 at 10:05 PM
danws6

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · San Francisco: Use caution in tourist areas. Video of daylight armed ambush.

Back on New Years Eve 2014, I had been in the Bay Area for about 7 months and decided I should attempt to get a shot of the New Years fireworks display from Yerba Buena. However, hours before that I was down on Treasure Island setting up my timelapse rig to capture the SF skyline. Eventually a random guy walked up and started talking to me. This isn't abnormal, people are always curious what I'm doing and I end up dividing my attention between them and whatever task I am working on.

After asking me several pointed questions I started paying more attention to his questions as well as his demeanor and then I dumbly realized that he was casing my gear! Fortunately my cameras and lenses were still safely secure in my bag and I was able to downplay how much I had with me. Eventually he realized that there were enough people walking by that it wasn't worth it and walked off but promised to by back later. I quickly packed up and moved on.

It took me months to go out and shoot again and I've really cut back going out shooting which is sad since there are so many great places in the area to go to. I've been smarter about not going to questionable areas and have unsuccessfully tried to find a few photography meet up groups so I'm not by myself.

Jul 09, 2016 at 05:23 PM
dalite
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · San Francisco: Use caution in tourist areas. Video of daylight armed ambush.

Scary. And now "smash and grab" is also occurring more often.

Jul 29, 2016 at 12:13 AM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.