Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       end

Archive 2016 · No Bad Days at Moraine Lake (Banff National Park)

Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · No Bad Days at Moraine Lake (Banff National Park)

Congratulations to Scott Stoness for winning Feature Thread of the Week with 12 votes - View Previous Winners

[ Thanks everyone for your encouragement in voting my picture as featured photo - Much appreciated. Scott]

I arrived at 5am to rain, rain and more rain. But I kept on going up to Moraine Lake.

These are the best of my bad weather day.

The good news is that the lake is full. Normally it does not fill up so early in the year.

Comments and feedback are appreciated. Scott

1-4 of 4

1 - The mountains peaking through with 10 stop nd to smooth the ripples

2 - The reflection in the waters

3 The traditional money shot (it was on our 5 dollar bill once)

4 The view in the rain

Edited on Jul 10, 2016 at 11:30 PM · View previous versions

Jun 26, 2016 at 01:42 PM
jord217
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · No Bad Days at Moraine Lake (Banff National Park)

The whole set is great. The atmosphere in #1 makes it very painterly. #4 is a stunner as well. Excellent job!

Jun 26, 2016 at 03:49 PM
mspencer1
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · No Bad Days at Moraine Lake (Banff National Park)

Beautiful set!

Margaret

Jun 26, 2016 at 04:47 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · No Bad Days at Moraine Lake (Banff National Park)

jord217: Glad you like 1,4. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

mspencer1: Glad you like the set. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Jun 26, 2016 at 05:24 PM
Kee Woo Rhee
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · No Bad Days at Moraine Lake (Banff National Park)

Hello Scott,

Fabulouse shots, indeed!
The first image is my favorite followed by the #4 shot. But 10 stop nd not grad??
I actually like the rain rather than 0 cloud.

Have a great summer.

Jun 26, 2016 at 05:36 PM
angel manguel
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · No Bad Days at Moraine Lake (Banff National Park)

Beautiful images Scott. Love the last one!

Alan

Jun 26, 2016 at 06:10 PM
rsk7
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · No Bad Days at Moraine Lake (Banff National Park)

1 and 4 also my favorites.

The 10 stop nd on the first... was that to smooth out wind ripples on the lake?

I'm going to be up there in a couple of weeks. Cannot wait. Last there when I was 12.

Jun 26, 2016 at 06:24 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · No Bad Days at Moraine Lake (Banff National Park)

Kee Woo Rhee: Glad you like 1. Whoops 10 stop nd filter. Not grad. To smooth out the water. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

angel mangle: Glad you like the last one. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

rsk7: Glad you like 1,4. Whoops nd not ndgrad. It was to smooth out the water. There is lots of water in the lake and it will be a great picture for you. Get there early though - it gets busier and busier. Much appreciated. Scott

Jun 26, 2016 at 06:47 PM
wbrad
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · No Bad Days at Moraine Lake (Banff National Park)

Bad weather day makes for good photography day. Beautiful shots!

Wayne

Jun 26, 2016 at 06:50 PM
claudefiddler
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · No Bad Days at Moraine Lake (Banff National Park)

Scott

The blown highlights in the sky probably can't be tamed with burning. Some tasteful cloning in detail might work As these photos get enlarged the highlights would become more and more obvious and in my opinion objectionable .
Perhaps you have an exposure that takes care of the highlights. It's worth looking carefully at this set of photos and learning to recognize when significant areas can be problematic. And regardless or the 12 stop dynamic range blown highlights in skies, trees, rocks, is quite common.

Jun 26, 2016 at 07:18 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · No Bad Days at Moraine Lake (Banff National Park)

wbrad wrote:
Bad weather day makes for good photography day. Beautiful shots!

Wayne

Glad you like the shots. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Jun 26, 2016 at 07:35 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · No Bad Days at Moraine Lake (Banff National Park)

claudefiddler wrote:
Scott

The blown highlights in the sky probably can't be tamed with burning. Some tasteful cloning in detail might work As these photos get enlarged the highlights would become more and more obvious and in my opinion objectionable .
Perhaps you have an exposure that takes care of the highlights. It's worth looking carefully at this set of photos and learning to recognize when significant areas can be problematic. And regardless or the 12 stop dynamic range blown highlights in skies, trees, rocks, is quite common.

Claude: I have 3 images plus 2 and minus 2. I can recover any amount of highlights. But I am not sure where you are pointing out blown highlights. Not saying you are wrong - just that I am not sure where you think it needs changing. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Jun 26, 2016 at 07:37 PM
DaleBerlin
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · No Bad Days at Moraine Lake (Banff National Park)

Top notch images Scott, really well done. I like #1 best.

Jun 26, 2016 at 08:53 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · No Bad Days at Moraine Lake (Banff National Park)

DaleBerlin wrote:
Top notch images Scott, really well done. I like #1 best.

Glad you like the images and 1 best. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Jun 26, 2016 at 09:09 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · No Bad Days at Moraine Lake (Banff National Park)

Never a bad day there! Awesome collection here. Thanks so much for sharing them with us!

I remember one fall when they closed it down and I got special permission to go up there when there was no one there but a few construction workers working on the lodge. The lake was just starting to freeze (about 1/4 of it) and it was astonishing to have it all to myself for a day. That is a memory forever burned into my brain. Such a sacred spot. One of the most awesome spots on earth for sure!

Jun 26, 2016 at 11:07 PM
can0nfan2379
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · No Bad Days at Moraine Lake (Banff National Park)

Beautiful set of images here Scott!!

Jun 26, 2016 at 11:22 PM
Nubcake
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · No Bad Days at Moraine Lake (Banff National Park)

Such a wonderful place!

Jun 26, 2016 at 11:49 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · No Bad Days at Moraine Lake (Banff National Park)

What a great day. Never know when the clouds will open or a wolf passes you by.
1,3, and 4 are my favorites. I might play with darkening the lakeside pines (image right) in #1 which is my top pick regardless.

David

Jun 27, 2016 at 07:40 AM
CarlG
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · No Bad Days at Moraine Lake (Banff National Park)

Wonderful set, but for me images 1 & 3 talk to me!!

Jun 27, 2016 at 07:52 AM
claudefiddler
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · No Bad Days at Moraine Lake (Banff National Park)

Scott Stoness wrote:
Claude: I have 3 images plus 2 and minus 2. I can recover any amount of highlights. But I am not sure where you are pointing out blown highlights. Not saying you are wrong - just that I am not sure where you think it needs changing. Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated. Scott

Scott-All four show details highlights at least on my monitor. Image 1 obvious highlight in the sky. The snow dappled on the peaks in the background also looks to be too bright. Image 2- Same as image one and highlight in sky is showing cyan fringing. Also the bright area on the left lake shore could be brought down to better fit in with the tone scale. Image 3-In sky and reflection of the highlight in the lake. In image 3 I would have worked to eliminate the branches on the left side of the frame by moving 5-10 feet to the right. Image 4- also high light in sky. It also shows a yellow color.

Scott-I don't know what your experience is as a landscape photographer but you are obviously sensitive and aware of the drama of light as it unfolds. What I see in these photos is that with an awareness of some technical field problems your photos would benefit. My benchmark is a perfect 30x40 inch print. If you take the things I've pointed out in your pics and blow them up to 30x40 or 16x20 for that matter the things I mention would be obvious and in my estimation a problem.

A simple curve move in PS or LR where you darkened the photos would easily show the bright areas. Also the eyedropper would show color shifts. Or an HS move could work.

Claude

PS. I went to the Columbia Ice fields in 1982 to ski Mount Columbia. Didn't make the ski due to bad weather. My photos didn't make it either. With completely overcast skies the highlights in my pics were basically impossible to manage, especially with film.

Edited on Jun 27, 2016 at 08:55 AM · View previous versions

Jun 27, 2016 at 08:44 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.