Landscape Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · West Virginia Farmland

Matt.Dieterich
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · West Virginia Farmland

Hi folks,

Two photos here that I want critique on.

Photo 1 description:
Last week a strong thunderstorm rolled through northern West Virginia. Trees were toppled and powerlines were knocked out. Such storms in the evening provide the chance of an amazing sunset with bold clouds if the rain clears up in time. The weather did just that, so I set out to capture the sunset on the local West Virginia University farm and found myself a bunch of new (sheepy) friends in the process! I used my Nikon D800, 24-70mm lens at F/8 for 150th of a second iso 400 with a graduated ND filter.

Photo 2 description:
There have been too many times I have been driving and passed an incredible scene at sunset without my camera. I changed that this week, making sure I carried my gear while heading to the lake to fish. We were driving the backroads outside Morgantown, WV and the setting sun created incredible shadows across the pasture. I couldn't resist pulling over to snap this shot! Definitely a great way to start an evening of fishing! Nikon D800, 70-200mm, F/8, ISO 200, 1/1000th.

Matt

Jun 26, 2016 at 11:41 AM
psharvic
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · West Virginia Farmland

Matt, keeping a camera at hand is a fine idea. Western PA/WVA is beautiful country. You captured some neat light on both of these. The busyness of the first keeps my eyes moving too much. The light on the lower trees in the 2nd is especially eye-catching. I can see why you were intrigued by the shadows The lens flare doesn't add IMO but it is a matter of taste.

Jun 26, 2016 at 12:19 PM
Tim Knutson
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · West Virginia Farmland

I think if you take that first one and crop off all the yellow grass and sheep off the bottom, you would have a more interesting shot. The road leads you into the shot.

Jun 26, 2016 at 01:24 PM
rgoosney
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · West Virginia Farmland

I really like the second shot and don't mind the lens flare. There is one little bright dot dead center in the trees on the horizon that I find my eyes keep drifting too.

Jun 26, 2016 at 01:31 PM
Chance2
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · West Virginia Farmland

The first shot is very well composed and the sheep in the lower right corner really couldn't have been positioned any better for you. In other words, I think you have something here. But that central cloud and too much of the background (especially the trees and right hand side of the field) are much too dark as this shot is presented, in my opinion.

If it's correctable, and I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be, I would experiment with opening that area up. There's simply too much emphasis being placed on the sheep at the moment. I would work to darken the cloud on the lower right a bit to better balance the sky as well. Right now that area is very light and open, which pulls my attention that way. I would try and get those sheep to "pop" and maybe think "vignette" once I got those other bits worked out.

Keep working it. I think this really does have great potential.

EDIT: Looked at it on an uncalibrated (/typical) display and the sky and distant field looked much better, but the sheep and foreground grass looked too bright.

Edited on Jun 27, 2016 at 12:59 AM · View previous versions

Jun 26, 2016 at 05:06 PM
angel manguel
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · West Virginia Farmland

Don't mind the lens flare and love the last one. I might try a crop to emphasize the green pasture but emphasis on try. It may not suit you. Nicely seen.

Alan

Jun 26, 2016 at 06:13 PM
cherubino
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · West Virginia Farmland

The second is the one I like best. Thanks for sharing. Hope you caught fish!

Jun 27, 2016 at 09:54 AM
Matt.Dieterich
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · West Virginia Farmland

psharvic wrote:
Matt, keeping a camera at hand is a fine idea. Western PA/WVA is beautiful country. You captured some neat light on both of these. The busyness of the first keeps my eyes moving too much. The light on the lower trees in the 2nd is especially eye-catching. I can see why you were intrigued by the shadows The lens flare doesn't add IMO but it is a matter of taste.

Thanks very much! I appreciate the feedback.

Jun 28, 2016 at 09:24 AM
Matt.Dieterich
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · West Virginia Farmland

Tim Knutson wrote:
I think if you take that first one and crop off all the yellow grass and sheep off the bottom, you would have a more interesting shot. The road leads you into the shot.

Thanks so much Tim, I will give cropping a try to see how looks. I was trying to play with the road leading into the shot when framing.

Jun 28, 2016 at 09:25 AM
Matt.Dieterich
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · West Virginia Farmland

rgoosney wrote:
I really like the second shot and don't mind the lens flare. There is one little bright dot dead center in the trees on the horizon that I find my eyes keep drifting too.

I now just see that bright dot as well, I will fix that!

Jun 28, 2016 at 09:26 AM
Matt.Dieterich
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · West Virginia Farmland

Chance2 wrote:
The first shot is very well composed and the sheep in the lower right corner really couldn't have been positioned any better for you. In other words, I think you have something here. But that central cloud and too much of the background (especially the trees and right hand side of the field) are much too dark as this shot is presented, in my opinion.

If it's correctable, and I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be, I would experiment with opening that area up. There's simply too much emphasis being placed on the sheep at the moment. I would
...Show more

Thank you very much for all the extra processing tips. I will take a look at using some of your recommendations!

Jun 28, 2016 at 09:28 AM

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.