New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Very first submission

rgoosney
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Very first submission

This is a small tanker ship in dry dock in Tampa. I had to be quick taking the photo as I was on the shoulder of the elevated expressway and drivers here are crazy. CC is very welcome.

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/9e13ae_ebc8a18dcbad41a898b2014aee426c26~mv2.jpg/v1/fill/w_1020,h_919,al_c,q_90,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01/9e13ae_ebc8a18dcbad41a898b2014aee426c26~mv2.jpg
Canon 5D markIII EF17-40mm f/4L 2.5 sec at F11 40mm iso 100

Jun 26, 2016 at 06:06 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Very first submission

Welcome to FM!!!! I think you'll find very quickly that this place is an awesome site to learn and hone your craft. You'll find some simply *amazing* photos in the Presentation forums (not discounting anyone here at PC, of course).

Very cool perspective on this shot, as we almost never get to see what's going on under the water, and that catwalk almost feels like a waterline with how things are oriented.

The color of the lighting works extremely well with the subject and gives off kinda an eerie vibe.

I might be seeing a very slight CCW lean, but that could my eyes playing tricks on me. Might be some slight artifacting, but I'm going to chalk that up to web compression.

Looking forward to more from ya, and welcome!

Jeff

Jun 26, 2016 at 09:12 AM
rgoosney
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Very first submission

Thanks for the critique. I tried leveling on different aspects of the photo but decided that the boat itself was not level and if I leveled the ground the boat looked like it was leaning and if I leveled the boat the ground looked like it was leaning. I eventually split the difference. I think the artifacting is web compression.

Jun 26, 2016 at 11:32 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Very first submission

Welcome! I'd say you're off to a great start! This looks great to me and I think you made a good choice to split the difference on the rotation.

Something you don't see everyday and is tack sharp!

Dave

Jun 28, 2016 at 07:56 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.