Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Looking for sugestion for lightweight culling on aging MacBook Pro

crashprime

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Looking for sugestion for lightweight culling on aging MacBook Pro

I am moving to a slightly-aging laptop (few years old i5 MacBook Pro) to start doing some of my work on the go, as I find myself more apt to be away from home lately, but I can't afford to abandon my big desktop PC to get the latest MBP, as the need for portability is temporary right now.

My question is, now that I am going to be moving files to a portable drive and culling/editing via the MacBook Pro i5, what is the best lightweight to go about some efficient culling on macOS? Lightroom is being dreadfully slow for me, and I am in need of a better/faster way to select keepers.

Jun 25, 2016 at 11:33 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Looking for sugestion for lightweight culling on aging MacBook Pro

crashprime wrote:
Lightroom is being dreadfully slow for me, and I am in need of a better/faster way to select keepers.

This is what I don't get . its a comment that comes up all the time . if used properly I don't find LR to be slow for culling . I can cull pretty fast on my 1.3 ghz i5 macbook air .

if I make LR produce its 1:1 previews before I start culling then everything zips along just fine . in fact I don't need to wait for LR to fully complete the 1:1's as long as I let it get far enough ahead of me that I won't hit any un reviews images . now granted the 1:1 process does take a bit of time but I find this is time that can best be served while I go make a cup of tea

anyway here's my culling workflow .

1. import images
2. select a batch of images (or all of the import) and get LR to create 1:1 previews

3. set flag filter to only show UN FLAGGED images the hit F to go full screen
4. hit P (pick) or X (reject) on every image . as the filter is set to show only non flags LR automatically advances to the next image.
5 once complete I set the filter to show only rejects and these are then moved to a rejects folder .

6 I will then unflag all the remaining images and probably have a 2nd run being lot more critical of the pick and rejects. I may star rate on this run rather than pick / reject .

its things like creating the 1:1's first and doing the culling in Library mode that speed the culling process up . I have to say that don properly its me thats the slowest part of the equation , as I do have to sit and long at an image for a couple of seconds

Jun 26, 2016 at 01:06 AM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Looking for sugestion for lightweight culling on aging MacBook Pro

A program such as Fast Raw Viewer will show your images more quickly than Lr, and gives you a few tools such as a one-click brightener to see if shadows hold any details. It can do some basic sharpening too, or show you lines of major and minor contrast change that usually indicate good focus. Again, they are one-click features. The raw-data histogram is very nice too as it is independent of in-camera jpg settings, and it shows the percentage of pixels that have been maxed out - so you can tell how badly an image has been truly overexposed even with a poor quality laptop screen that may have a not too good colour gamut.

With this tool you can safely delete or relocate genuine rubbish without it ever reaching Lr.

- Alan

Jun 26, 2016 at 12:47 PM
crashprime

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Looking for sugestion for lightweight culling on aging MacBook Pro

1:1 previews made it as quick as I could ask. The generation takes awhile but I dont need to babysit it. Thank you!

Jun 26, 2016 at 04:52 PM
colinm
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Looking for sugestion for lightweight culling on aging MacBook Pro

Lightweight, high-speed culling? Photo Mechanic or bust.

Jun 26, 2016 at 05:02 PM
mhp_sd
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Looking for sugestion for lightweight culling on aging MacBook Pro

colinm wrote:
Lightweight, high-speed culling? Photo Mechanic or bust.

+1

Jun 26, 2016 at 05:36 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.