Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2016 · Which camera would you get for studio use?

DesertFoxPhoto

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Which camera would you get for studio use?

My family opted for the 6D as it was the right combination of cost and image quality for our family slot machine sales business. The camera has been mainly used in snapping photos of company refurbished slot machines in our show room, Due to our inventory being shuffled around the show room quite often, we chose full frame to take advantage of shooting hand held at a faster shutter speed and higher ISO without compromising image quality. The 6D ended up being a fantastic fit for the business and the autofocus, image quality and battery life have exceeded our expectations. After upgrading, we have noticed an uptick in sales and customer feedback has shown that at least half of these new sales have been driven by the product photos.

- Matt H.

Jun 29, 2016 at 11:08 AM
mogud
• • • •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Which camera would you get for studio use?

My PC configuration is very basic. Intel i7 3770, 32gb of memory, 256k SSD and a Radeon 7770. Not an exotic HD setup at all. Fast enough for Lr to run quickly and more than enough storage for those big 5DsR files.

I think it's InterWeb folklore at work again about needing some crazy system if you buy a 5DsR.

Jun 29, 2016 at 05:46 PM
Deezie
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Which camera would you get for studio use?

You might want to wait for the 5D Mark4 to come out later this year. I use the 5D3 in studio all the time. You might consider the Pentax 645z or the Hasselblad X1D.

Jun 29, 2016 at 05:56 PM
Daan B
• • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Which camera would you get for studio use?

AF is mostly a non-issue in the studio. If 20MP is enough, I would recommend the 6D. It has a great sensor and you can hook it up to an ipad on sight (letting the client see what you are doing real time). The 6D 1/180th sync speed means little in the studio. The flash duration of your strobes makes your subject freeze, not the sync speed of the camera. The sync speed of the camera is used to control the ambient...

The 5Ds(r) that is in favor by many on this forum is also a great camera for studio work... BUT it is more than twice as expensive as the 6D, providing only an 1.5x increase in pixels (plus some extra stuff you won't need in the studio).

I have used 20MP sensors the past few years for pro commercial work. Regularly it has been blown up to Billboard sizes. You won't see a difference between 20MP and 50MP (at normal viewing distances) anyway. 20MP is still more than enough for most purposes... unless you really need/want to crop an image 50% (or something like that).

Jun 30, 2016 at 07:52 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Which camera would you get for studio use?

Daan B wrote:
The 5Ds(r) that is in favor by many on this forum is also a great camera for studio work... BUT it is more than twice as expensive as the 6D, providing only an 1.5x increase in pixels...

The 5DS/R has 1.58x greater linear resolution than the 6D (241 ppmm vs. 152 ppmm), and 2.53x more pixels than the 6D (50.6 MP vs. 20.0 MP).

In general, I feel that a 1.5x increase in the number of pixels is a noticeable and worthwhile difference (i.e. 50%). So, if the 5D IV comes out with 30+ MP and better DR than the 5DS/R, it'll probably replace the 5DS/R on my "to get" list, and one of my 6D will get converted to "full spectrum".

Jun 30, 2016 at 08:10 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Which camera would you get for studio use?

jcolwell wrote:
The 5DS/R has 1.58x greater linear resolution than the 6D (241 ppmm vs. 152 ppmm), and 2.53x more pixels than the 6D (50.6 MP vs. 20.0 MP).

In general, I feel that a 1.5x increase in the number of pixels is a noticeable and worthwhile difference (i.e. 50%). So, if the 5D IV comes out with 30+ MP and better DR than the 5DS/R, it'll probably replace the 5DS/R on my "to get" list, and one of my 6D will get converted to "full spectrum".

I'm generally with you on this, though I tend to state it as "doubling the number of photo sites tends to be significant."

(I'd add that the tendency to push the boundaries of print size at a given level is also a significant factor. To cite extremes... if one generally shares photographs as screen size online jpgs, and gets nice results, the value of even quadrupling the number of photo sites is open to question. On the other hand, if one is pushing a typical format to extremely large print sizes on a regular basis, a smaller difference may be important. Since I'm fond of oddball analogies, let's try cars! If your current car goes 100mph a 25% increase in speed is probably significant if you drive on racetracks. It is probably not very significant if you mostly drive on city streets. At least I hope it isn't... ;-)

Take care,

Dan

Jun 30, 2016 at 12:06 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.