Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2016 · Which camera would you get for studio use?

zrz2005101
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Which camera would you get for studio use?

Hello guys, recently I sold my 1Ds mark III but I realize that I may need a studio body for studio type of work.

Currently I have the 1Dx and 1D mark IV for outside shoots and a bunch of Canon lenses that would be too costly for me to switch to another brand.

So I came for some advice.

I will be shooting (probably tethered) and I use profoto lights (I have the air remote in case I use a body other than Canon)

After brainstorming I have came out with possible ideas listed above.

Canon 7D
I have one lying around collecting dust, not the greatest and the latest, and I had many troubles with it in sports and whatnot but I think it would work as a studio body? If not I will selling for a apart towards the other options. Anyone with experience can agree with me or against the idea.

Canon 1Ds Mark II
When I had it several years ago it was good and produced great results. Now I can get it for quite cheap. The concerns with this body is that it is quite old, does not have micro-adjustment and it is only 12 bit in colour depth. The technology advanced quite a lot since then (specifically in the period 2009-now) so I don't know if it is worth. The good thing about it is I can sell the 7D and not needing to pay a premium to get one of these.

Sony A7
When it came out I wanted to get it, but it just feels wrong in my hands so I never took it in. Now with the version II out it is quite cheap and arguably offers the best image quality/$ I will get good DR from Sony and with an adapter I can get all my Canon lenses to work on it. Never explored it in detail and I don't think ergonomics is a big thing in studio. However with the lack of experience with Sony there are uncertainties! How well do they work in tether and with profoto lights?

Sony A7r
Probably one of the best in image quality in the full frame market. Functions like and shares the same uncertainties with the A7 and I still need to spend a bit to get one.

Canon 6D
Well we all know the good and bad about this one. Poor autofocus, smaller viewfinder not pro body build etc. Good high iso (not a big deal since I have 1Dx), good image quality (generally speaking), WiFi and GPS (never used wifi but could come in handy and GPS not useful in studio).
Biggest concern for this one is the flash sync at 1/180s, not really a fans of this low sync speed, is it a concern for any one experienced with this camera?

Canon 80D
Crop frame with so-so image quality improvements over the 7D, although its low ISO (ISO 50-400 I suppose?) seems to be a jump in Canon's standard. Flip-out screen might come in handy and that's about it. It has the 1/250s flash sync speed at least. Kind of a new body, can't speak much about it, would love some thoughts.

Edit:
Some fellow FMers have asked me why I don't use the 1dx for studio. The fact is I do and I will when the high fps is required and when there is a need for it. I'm seeking for a "new" studio body that will allow me to work with all my existing lights and provide some more megapixels

Other options and thoughts are welcomed!

Thanks for reading!

Edited on Jun 26, 2016 at 11:48 AM · View previous versions

Jun 25, 2016 at 10:27 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Which camera would you get for studio use?

5Ds (not the R version).

EBH

Jun 25, 2016 at 10:34 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Which camera would you get for studio use?

Should have kept your 1ds III. Alternatively, I would go with the 5Ds and not even consider any of the alternatives mentioned in your poll.

Jun 25, 2016 at 11:02 PM
ross.thomas
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Which camera would you get for studio use?

Look at at 5Ds.

Jun 25, 2016 at 11:06 PM
zrz2005101
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Which camera would you get for studio use?

Thanks for the response, apparently all favors the 5Ds (not R version) Any reason why?

I have also thought about the 5Ds/r, the reason why I didn't have it listed is that the price up here in Canada is crazy and also 50MP is kind of too much for my processing (I would have to upgrade my computers too) Image quality is not much different from the A7r if I'm not mistaken?

Comparatively, I can still wiggles through the A7r's 36MP I think, which is why I have it listed.

Jun 25, 2016 at 11:23 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Which camera would you get for studio use?

zrz2005101 wrote:
Thanks for the response, apparently all favors the 5Ds (not R version) Any reason why?

I have also thought about the 5Ds/r, the reason why I didn't have it listed is that the price up here in Canada is crazy and also 50MP is kind of too much for my processing (I would have to upgrade my computers too) Image quality is not much different from the A7r if I'm not mistaken?

Comparatively, I can still wiggles through the A7r's 36MP I think, which is why I have it listed.

The 5Ds has an AA filter which is typically desirable for studio use, e.g., reducing moire with fabrics, etc.

EBH

Jun 25, 2016 at 11:24 PM
zrz2005101
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Which camera would you get for studio use?

@EB-1

Ah yes, I almost forgot about that AA filter. Still thinking about more details in landscape without the AA haha

Jun 25, 2016 at 11:26 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Which camera would you get for studio use?

zrz2005101 wrote:
@EB-1@

Ah yes, I almost forgot about that AA filter. Still thinking about more details in landscape without the AA haha

I prefer the 5DsR, but I shoot landscape and wildlife only, no unnatural objects.

EBH

Jun 25, 2016 at 11:28 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Which camera would you get for studio use?

I shoot a 5DSR in the studio all the time and have only seen moiré once or twice - actually far less than with the 5DMk3's. I'm not sure what all the worry is about. I've shot fabric, hair, products, products with repetitive patterns, etc. and it's just not an issue.

Jun 25, 2016 at 11:34 PM
zrz2005101
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Which camera would you get for studio use?

So people very much favor the 5Ds/r; however, it is a little impractical as I reasoned above. Maybe sometimes after, but probably not now.

What would you have picked from the list, or anything that does not have "too" many megapixels so I don't need to upgrade multiple things along with it?

Jun 25, 2016 at 11:46 PM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Which camera would you get for studio use?

I honestly wouldn't worry about processing needs. 50MP will be slower, but you'll get along just fine- the difference isn't as big as it might seem.

However, if the price of the camera is out of range, a 5D III would be the recommendation; if not, then maybe the 80D where you can use the DPAF and touch screen to put the focus point where you need it, which is harder to do on the otherwise excellent 6D.

Jun 26, 2016 at 12:13 AM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Which camera would you get for studio use?

Depends if you need more than 20-ish meg. If you do then you have to look at the Nikon, Sony or 5DS

I agree you shouldn't have sold the 1Ds3 which is still my go-to low ISO body.

Jun 26, 2016 at 12:40 AM
ShutterbugJ
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Which camera would you get for studio use?

Why can't you use the 1Dx for studio?

Jun 26, 2016 at 12:55 AM
Tony Ross
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Which camera would you get for studio use?

I am using the 5Ds, mostly in studio, and I think you should be considering the 5Ds or 5Dsr.

The 7D is an APS-C action camera.
The 1Ds II is quite a bit more primitive than the 1Ds III - has a more complicated user interface (having to hold down two buttons at once).
Sony A7/r are a completely different interface, and while you can use them with Canon lenses, the result is fairly unbalanced (front heavy)
The 6D is a lesser body, with compromises that probably wouldn't suit a 1Ds III user :-)
The 80D may have some interesting new features, but it's APS-C and the lowest-end body on the entire list.

I went from the 1Ds III to the D800e (because the 1D X is not a studio camera), then the D810, and now the 5Ds. The 5Ds is the real successor to the 1Ds III, albeit in the 5D format rather than 1D format.

You don't need a heap more computer to process images from the 5Ds/r - yes, it has double the pixel count of the 1Ds III, but it's only about 1.5x the linear pixel dimensions. Oh, if you want to use this as a reason to upgrade, go ahead, but I'm still using the computer I was using 4 years ago.

Jun 26, 2016 at 01:20 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Which camera would you get for studio use?

I bought the 80D mainly because the dual pixel movie servo allows "self-shooting" of my studio guitar performances for my YouTube channel. The face tracking mode grabs my mug and never lets go. With my 6D and 5D2 I had to estimate focus with a stand-in broomstick and it was often a little off.

Gochugogi's YouTube Channel

Jun 26, 2016 at 02:06 AM
Max10
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Which camera would you get for studio use?

ShutterbugJ wrote:
Why can't you use the 1Dx for studio?

Exactly! This is my question also.

If you are concerned about wear and tear of the 1Dx, then a used 5DII or 6D is the way to go.

Jun 26, 2016 at 05:50 AM
ggreene
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Which camera would you get for studio use?

Max10 wrote:
If you are concerned about wear and tear of the 1Dx, then a used 5DII or 6D is the way to go.

The 1DX is specifically built to be heavily used. There should be no concern about that. If I was the OP that's what I would be using if you have already determined that you don't want to go the 5Ds/R route.

Jun 26, 2016 at 06:51 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Which camera would you get for studio use?

I'd use the 1DX or pick up a 6D.

I use a 6D with an on-camera flash at low power, in manual mode, to fire my Elinchrom strobes in the studio. I've never been bothered by the 6D's flash synch speed. I also use a set of four 600EX-RT for other applications, and I can go to high speed synch strobing, if the synch speed is too low.

P.S. the 6D has excellent AF using the centre point, even in low light.

Jun 26, 2016 at 07:44 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Which camera would you get for studio use?

zrz2005101 wrote:

You are indeed mistaken... the difference in image quality is pretty dramatic - although in the studio, using strobes might reduce the effects of shutter shock with the A7R somewhat.

Jun 26, 2016 at 10:14 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Which camera would you get for studio use?

molson wrote:
You are indeed mistaken... the difference in image quality is pretty dramatic - although in the studio, using strobes might reduce the effects of shutter shock with the A7R somewhat.

And being able to control light will negate nearly every advantage increased DR would provide, and the OP is certainly already well aware of the limitations of Canon's sensors up to the 5Ds.

Jun 26, 2016 at 11:21 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.