Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Will High-Res Video Capture Make Still Photography Passe?

PureMichigan
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Will High-Res Video Capture Make Still Photography Passe?

Been watching a lot of MLB baseball this year and it seems that every passing year the super slo-mo/high definition video cameras get a little better.

Are we soon -- or have we already -- reached the tipping point where optimal peak action shots will be/are more likely to be extracted video frames than from still cameras.

Looking at USA Today baseball coverage, I saw this image of a spectacular foul ball catch by Baez. It's an uncredited image, so I don't know if it its a video capture or from a still camera (A+ lens/crop/timing job if it's the latter).But it got me thinking about this issue. http://ftw.usatoday.com/category/mlb

During a recent B&H podcast the panelists were discussing the future of the DSLR and noted that within two flagship camera generations (5-7 yearsish?)we'll have reached the point where video capture images will be the norm.

Still plenty of room for artistry in composition regardless -- but I wonder how much longer "peak action" photography from still cameras will be the norm.

I'll weep openly when that day comes.

Jun 25, 2016 at 09:54 AM
Widgic
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Will High-Res Video Capture Make Still Photography Passe?

I think it will happen rather quickly, but not the way you suggest.

Video cameras (for bradcast) or optimized for... video! Which means that they do a lot of image to image compression and "shutter speed" is optimized for image brightness, not freezing the motion. And with 4K cameras this will get worst (more compression because of bandwidth requirements and higher "shutter speed" because of smaller pixels on the sensors). There will clearly be some improvements as time go tho.

That being said, there have been some video cameras out for a while not that shoot in RAW (no image to image compression and lossless compression on individual frames) and on some of the very expensive models (think Red) you have total control on the exposure parameters. But the price point for these (and the complexity of use) puts them out of reach of most people.

What I think will happen is that the photo cameras will evolve to allow much higher frame rates (bursts) with all the IQ and control that we currently enjoy in the top of the line DSLR's. In a DSLR, the major limit to high frame rate is the mechanical stuff (mirror and shutter movement). If you take these away, your limit is then how fast you can reset / empty your sensor, process the data and put it into memory (buffer or memory card).

Today, as seen in the Sony A7 full frame series, getting rid of the mirror has been done. Getting rid of the mechanical shutter is another story. Why? There are many articles on the web who can explain it better than I can, but the short story is that you'll need a sensor where you can "reset" and freeze the image on all pixels at the same time (or within a very short amount of time). This "global shutter" is still a challenge for high mega pixel cameras (see here for more information on global shutter).

But I am sure we'll get there soon!

Denis
www.widgic.com

Jun 25, 2016 at 01:13 PM
thebmrust
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Will High-Res Video Capture Make Still Photography Passe?

Sure it is possible and even probable to see it in our lifetime.

My take: having to sit through hours of footage to find that one frame (or a few hundred frames) to convert to stills to sell to clients.

Now for clients:
Do they have a bottom end on quality? I have seen some pretty crappy still images that people have tried to pass off as photography.

But, more often than not, I shake my head at what clients buy and what they pass on buying. (that's a whole 'nother thread topic)

So, will they accept a grainy or blurry frame grab over a clear focused near peak action capture from a DSLR? Yes, no, and maybe...

Who is your client?

Find the clients that still value the peak action shots over the clients that prefer the McDonalds of photos... ie. video grabs.

That market might eventually shrink, so be the one to hold on to it while everyone else stands in the McD drive thrunfornthat mystery meat burger.

Places like Red Robin still exist even though you can also get a hamburger & fries from McDonald's.

Jun 27, 2016 at 01:04 AM
guitardirky
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Will High-Res Video Capture Make Still Photography Passe?

Broadcast video is shot at 1/60 of a second. Don't think for a second that sports high speed action is going to be print quality from that.

Jun 30, 2016 at 12:31 PM
PureMichigan
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Will High-Res Video Capture Make Still Photography Passe?

I ask this out of stupidity -- so I have a massive HD TV. An MLB slo-mo cam can freeze the action and deliver every stitch on that ball in HD. A capture of that file" is not robust enough to use as a 3x5 inch photo on web site or newspaper?

Jun 30, 2016 at 01:28 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.