New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · 5DS R Chromatic Aberation Issue

PhillipAnthony
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5DS R Chromatic Aberation Issue

I just set up my new 5DS R and looking at the attached 1:1 image crop you will see chromatic aberration above the diagonal branches and most everywhere else. I was also using Canon's EF1.4X extender for the image as well.

Needless to say this is not making me think that the $4K I just spent was a good idea. I'm kidding because I know that the problem is my lens: Canon's EF100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS USM.

I have always suspected this lens was not very sharp so I should not expect the 5DS R to improve on it. IMO, the new camera just underscores how bad this particular lens is. I have read that others have a differing opinion on this lens, but opinions are all relative.

I will have to upgrade this lens if I hope to get the most out of this camera.

Thanks for letting me whine.

Edited on Jun 24, 2016 at 03:11 PM · View previous versions

Jun 24, 2016 at 02:13 PM
John_T
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5DS R Chromatic Aberation Issue

Though the 100-400 version 1 does vary according to when it was made and from copy to copy, the 5DSR is now simply showing you the truth.

That said, the 100-400 version 2 more than makes up for the sins of its predecessor. Just go for it and you will forget about the old one, which served well enough in its day, and be happy for ever more.

Jun 24, 2016 at 02:23 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5DS R Chromatic Aberation Issue

When viewed at 100%, the number of pixels over which chromatic abberations will be visible in a higher MP sensor will higher. If you view the image at a lower magnification or scale it down to a resolution equal to a lower MP sensor you'll see he amount of the chromatic abberation is the same. In short there is no more chromatic abberation on your 5DSR than other bodies when normalized to the same size/area of the sensor and lens.

Jun 24, 2016 at 02:24 PM
rattlebonez
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5DS R Chromatic Aberation Issue

is there a UV or protective filter on the lens? if so, remove and re-test

Jun 24, 2016 at 02:25 PM
Phil Shaw

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5DS R Chromatic Aberation Issue

CA and colour fringing are a feature of this body with most lenses. You can usually deal with it in ACR, but sometimes this doesn't work, especially on hdr images where multiple frames are stacked.

Jun 24, 2016 at 02:39 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5DS R Chromatic Aberation Issue

Phil Shaw wrote:
CA and colour fringing are a feature of this body with most lenses. You can usually deal with it in ACR, but sometimes this doesn't work, especially on hdr images where multiple frames are stacked.

Lenses which exhibit especially bad CA and fringing are more more visible using the 5Ds(r). The 5ds(r) is an expensive camera which has a bad habit of making owners spend more money on lens upgrades.

Edited on Jun 24, 2016 at 02:58 PM · View previous versions

Jun 24, 2016 at 02:56 PM
PhillipAnthony
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5DS R Chromatic Aberation Issue

John_T wrote:
Though the 100-400 version 1 does vary according to when it was made and from copy to copy, the 5DSR is now simply showing you the truth.

That said, the 100-400 version 2 more than makes up for the sins of its predecessor. Just go for it and you will forget about the old one, which served well enough in its day, and be happy for ever more.

Great advice! I don't think I have much choice. I can explain this to my wife by using the analogy that what good is a race car if has cheap tires on? That should work?

If you don't hear back from me you'll know it did not go good for me.

Jun 24, 2016 at 02:56 PM
PhillipAnthony
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5DS R Chromatic Aberation Issue

mogud wrote:
Lenses which exhibit especially bad CA and fringing are more more visible using the 5Ds(r). The 5ds R is an expensive camera which has a bad habit of making owners spend more money on lens upgrades.

Now you tell me! Where were you when I needed important advice such as this?

Jun 24, 2016 at 02:59 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5DS R Chromatic Aberation Issue

rattlebonez wrote:

+1

Jun 24, 2016 at 02:59 PM
PhillipAnthony
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5DS R Chromatic Aberation Issue

rattlebonez wrote:

I did try this and the result is nearly the same. Thanks for the suggestion.

Jun 24, 2016 at 03:00 PM
PhillipAnthony
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5DS R Chromatic Aberation Issue

One the plus side ...

I am enjoying the feather weight of the 5DS-R in comparison to the EOS-1 Ds MKII beast I was lugging around. Add to that the super quiet shutter making this a very pleasant experience for me.

Jun 24, 2016 at 03:08 PM
PhillipAnthony
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5DS R Chromatic Aberation Issue

snapsy wrote:
When viewed at 100%, the number of pixels over which chromatic abberations will be visible in a higher MP sensor will higher. If you view the image at a lower magnification or scale it down to a resolution equal to a lower MP sensor you'll see he amount of the chromatic abberation is the same. In short there is no more chromatic abberation on your 5DSR than other bodies when normalized to the same size/area of the sensor and lens.

Thanks for the info.

Jun 24, 2016 at 03:10 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5DS R Chromatic Aberation Issue

Are you not using the DLO to remove the CA?

EBH

Jun 24, 2016 at 04:15 PM
PhillipAnthony
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 5DS R Chromatic Aberation Issue

EB-1 wrote:
Are you not using the DLO to remove the CA?

EBH

No I have not, but I'm looking into that now.

Thanks for the suggestion (question).

Jun 24, 2016 at 04:45 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 5DS R Chromatic Aberation Issue

Phil Shaw wrote:

CA and fringing are features of lenses, not of bodies. There is no more or less of either artifact with this camera — you are just "looking more closely" at the same magnitude of effect.

Indeed, almost all CA problems (notice I wrote "almost") can be quickly, easily, and effectively fixed in post.

Jun 24, 2016 at 04:47 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 5DS R Chromatic Aberation Issue

One issue to note is that moire also creates false color on the 5DsR and can be confused with CA by some.

EBH

Jun 24, 2016 at 09:14 PM
PhillipAnthony
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 5DS R Chromatic Aberation Issue

EB-1 wrote:
One issue to note is that moire also creates false color on the 5DsR and can be confused with CA by some.

EBH

I hear you on that. Good point.

BTW, I had Canon's DLO sitting in front of me. It came on a CD that came with the Camera.

On another front - I tried to set the in-camera CA removal and got the message 'Cannot correct - no data'. So much for that. This could be due to the fact that the extender is attached to the camera and not the lens itself. I will remove the extender tomorrow and then see what I get.

Thanks for your post.

Jun 24, 2016 at 09:34 PM
John_T
• • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 5DS R Chromatic Aberation Issue

For a using a lens with a TC, you must first mount the TC on the lens, then the lens + TC on the camera. This is to assure the lens + TC are correctly reporting to the camera.

If you use Light Room, lens corrections are pretty easy. I find it even easier shooting in RAW and making very few corrections in camera.

Jun 25, 2016 at 01:41 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 5DS R Chromatic Aberation Issue

I don't see any evidence of CA in either sample image - only some flare on the highlights, typical of what you would expect if you have a filter on the front of your lens. It's mostly gone in the second image, where you removed the filter.

Jun 25, 2016 at 08:20 AM
Bob Kane
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 5DS R Chromatic Aberation Issue

molson wrote:
I don't see any evidence of CA in either sample image - only some flare on the highlights, typical of what you would expect if you have a filter on the front of your lens. It's mostly gone in the second image, where you removed the filter.

I agree. If there is CA in these shots it got washed out in downsizing.

Jun 25, 2016 at 04:42 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.