FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · Off-Topic, General Talk - Some sobering news

ArizonaImage
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Off-Topic, General Talk - Some sobering news

vilimo wrote:
... I agree with you on that the US is long overdue for a big correction and I have been waiting for this correction for quite awhile. We had that correction in late Dec / early Jan this year (unfortunately, I was caught off guard while on vacation ) . So today's decline is another small correction and I am confident that this will be overcome in a short time

Well, the smart money has almost got out of the markets. The stupid money says all is well, and the skies are beautiful and keep investing. Its amazing, if you look just at CNBC.. their reports and guests are literally repeating history of what happened in 2008-09 crash. You had some 1st year traders and brokers who know nothing about how an economy works get on CNBC and say "Yes, everything is amazing and the US is doing great" mean while, true economist are saying "warning, problems ahead" and they're ignored. The simple truth is, after seeing everything from the US economy to EU and China's, I can say the data points to a much harder fall than that of 2008. I like how Greenspan put it early Friday that we are doomed worse than 1987 or 2008 and Soros too said this worse than 2008.

The warnings are here. Huge declines in non-farm payroll, from Feb 16' has gone straight down month after month from "233,000" jobs down to a measly 38,000 jobs in May. There are 100,000,000 million Americans on some sort of government aid, while 40mil are on welfare. Home ownership rates are the worst in at least 4 decades. True unemployment numbers are easily 15% or more. Manufacturing is down around 2008 levels and import/exports are down as well, some transportation/freight companies are saying its even worse than 2008-09 ever was. I am not trying fearmonger here, but I do want to put some fear in people, because this WILL happen. 2008 came without warning and if there were warnings, people ignored it.

Jun 25, 2016 at 03:20 AM
Xavier Rival
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Off-Topic, General Talk - Some sobering news

A lot of discussion related to Economy in this thread. And camera compagnies are part of the system:

http://www.reuters.com/article/britain-eu-canon-idUSL4N19G3ZY

Jun 25, 2016 at 03:40 AM
unclechuck
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Off-Topic, General Talk - Some sobering news

Xavier Rival wrote:
A lot of discussion related to Economy in this thread. And camera companies are part of the system:

Interesting quote by the Canon Chief:

"In Japan, while we can expect to see a temporary surge in the value of the yen, the U.K.'s decision could also bring a halt to the economic recovery that had been underway,"

With European bonds in, or trending to, negative rates there is little need to brace for a "halt" caused by BREXIT --- although a media flood will blame the vote for everything from dog bites to earthquakes.

The lesson of the last half century is that idealism, institutional planning and carefully managed information do not a healthy and productive economy make. Anywhere.

Jun 25, 2016 at 06:44 AM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Off-Topic, General Talk - Some sobering news

Tell me about it Lost $15,000 from our 401K on Friday. Not too worried,
don't need to touch it for a couple of years (70) but short term investors might
want to check their shorts.

Jun 25, 2016 at 12:00 PM
ArizonaImage
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Off-Topic, General Talk - Some sobering news

Xavier Rival wrote:
A lot of discussion related to Economy in this thread. And camera companies are part of the system:

"In Japan, while we can expect to see a temporary surge in the value of the yen, the U.K.'s decision could also bring a halt to the economic recovery that had been underway,"

unclechuck wrote:
Interesting quote by the Canon Chief:
With European bonds in, or trending to, negative rates there is little need to brace for a "halt" caused by BREXIT --- although a media flood will blame the vote for everything from dog bites to earthquakes.

The lesson of the last half century is that idealism, institutional planning and carefully managed information do not a healthy and productive economy make. Anywhere.

- Japan recovery? Japan hasn't recovered in at least two decades. Japan's central bank has been pumping so much money plus its interest rates and weak GDP numbers.. And negative yields. The chief was quite optimistic.

Jun 25, 2016 at 02:05 PM
ArizonaImage
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Off-Topic, General Talk - Some sobering news

trenchmonkey wrote:
Tell me about it Lost $15,000 from our 401K on Friday. Not too worried,
don't need to touch it for a couple of years (70) but short term investors might
want to check their shorts.

I think next week will be one to watch and see what happens. Some economists were saying that Monday could be worse than Friday with a chance of turn around come Tuesday or as they call it Turn Around Tuesday. Brexit was the catalyst. There are huge calls by people all over the world wanting some sort of secession. There is Italy, Netherlands, France, Scotland and in the states, Texas yet again is calling for their secession aka Texit.

Sure this all sounds like hopes and dreams, but, the established way of things are being shaken and people are getting worried. Bottom line is, this is a world financial problem where as 2008 was more of a subprime problem. We aren't talking about a few mortgage banks failing, we're talking about the big guys BofA, Chase, Wells Fargo, Deutsche Bank, Credit Suisse and others failing. For the year, most of these banks have had huge hits. And the nail in the coffin might be the US dollar getting depegged as the defacto world reserve currency. As of now, the US dollar still stands as somewhat the best risk in the face of a crumbling Euro, an unstable Chinese yuan and worthless Japanese yen.

Jun 25, 2016 at 02:13 PM
ArizonaImage
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Off-Topic, General Talk - Some sobering news

The Brexit might have just popped the bubble, started an economic world recession as Greenspan is say.

Edited on Jun 26, 2016 at 03:39 PM · View previous versions

Jun 25, 2016 at 05:30 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Off-Topic, General Talk - Some sobering news

As a native of the country in question, i have to say that this is a spectacular mistake for not just GB, but for a wider europe. Hopefully it won't snowball too much further and take out the whole european project, but there are definitely several months of european (and global) instability ahead. No-one knows how bad it will be, as this is very much uncharted territory, so anyone who professes an expert opinion beyond pointing out the clealy obvious is just guessing. Remember though that GB is still a strong economy, and is not out of the EU for at least 2 years, so the End of the World is unlikely to occur this summer. Personally I feel that much depends on when (indeed if) GB formally begins the leaving process, and how reasonable both sides are in the divorce settlement.

On a selfish note, i utilise the agreements that my compatriots are so keen to tear up in order to live in europe, so i am more than a little concerned as to the impact this small minded moronity will have on myself and the couple of million others who chose live and work elsewhere. I'm not panicking yet though, as the people who campaigned for the Brexit are already backtracking on their promises in a spectacular fashion, so i would not be surprised if the whole thing got called off in the next two weeks.

I almost feel i should apologise for the stupidity of my countrymen, but then i remember why i left the place.

Jun 26, 2016 at 03:40 AM
ArizonaImage
• • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Off-Topic, General Talk - Some sobering news

15Bit wrote:
As a native of the country in question, i have to say that this is a spectacular mistake for not just GB, but for a wider europe. Hopefully it won't snowball too much further and take out the whole european project, but there are definitely several months of european (and global) instability ahead. No-one knows how bad it will be, as this is very much uncharted territory, so anyone who professes an expert opinion beyond pointing out the clealy obvious is just guessing. Remember though that GB is still a strong economy, and is not out of the EU for
...Show more

Few things. The process of separating the UK from EU does not have to take two-years. It can take two-days if they wanted. The EU itself is telling the UK to immediately start the process. The UK did something awesome. It separated from unelected leaders. A hand full of men in Brussels started making tens of thousands of laws every year that ordinary people have no clue about. These laws created, without vote, can NOT be veto'ed by any member-state. I'm sorry to say, but if Hitler were alive, he would be jealous.. because these few men took over an entire continent without a single war. And worse than that, they have ALL the power of money.

Take a look a Greece. Greece is broke, dumped its national Drakma currency in favor of the Euro. Guess what, the printing press is in Brussels, not in Greece. So when Greece had its financial melt down and needs a bailout, they have to go beg Brussels for money. In return for borrowing worthless paper WITH interest that can not be paid, the Greeks agree to hike taxes, enact austerity on people, and give its national assets and treasures to Brussels. Its a literal take over, soft kill, stealthy take over of a country. I am glad the UK has opt'd out of the EU. I hope the rest of the countries in Europe start having referendums and vote to get out of the sinking titanic called the EU.

Lastly, this event might have pricked the global bubble. I believe we are heading into a global recession much worse than 2008. The debts have skyrocketed, bubbles created, jobs diminished, middle classes erased.. We aren't talking about a subprime bubble, we are talking about total and utter collapse of the financial systems of the world. Look at Japan, today they released an article saying "We're in trouble" and lots more economists are starting to say "we are headed towards recession, collapse, or turmoil" from your regular joe broker to elitists like Soros and Greenspan.

Jun 26, 2016 at 03:27 PM
ArizonaImage
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Off-Topic, General Talk - Some sobering news

Monday's Futures

North American Markets (Futures, markets closed)

DOW down -668 (-3.8%)
S&P 500 down -87.25 (-4.3%)
NasDaq down -200 (-4.6%)

European Markets (Futures, markets closed)

FTSE down -182.50 (-2,99%)
DAX down -678 (-7.09%)
CAC down -360 (-8.77%)
FTSE/MID down -2,144 (-13.62%)
Euro STOXX down -259 (-9.35%)

Jun 26, 2016 at 03:39 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Off-Topic, General Talk - Some sobering news

SouthwestS2K wrote:
Few things. The process of separating the UK from EU does not have to take two-years. It can take two-days if they wanted.

This is true, but unlikely to happen. Things just aren't that simple....

The UK did something awesome......

I'm afraid i disagree with most of the rest of your opinion. There are a lot of places where i sense you are ignorant and are possibly working from a strongly skewed set of "facts", but i don't feel like getting into a political argument on a camera forum. I come here to relax, not to get stressed

You are correct on one very important point though - the EU and it's machinery *has* become distant and divorced from the public it is supposed to be serving. And the Brexit is serving as a wake up call with respect to this. I hope they will be able to reform it quickly to suit the 21st century.

Jun 26, 2016 at 04:06 PM
ArizonaImage
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Off-Topic, General Talk - Some sobering news

15Bit wrote:
This is true, but unlikely to happen. Things just aren't that simple....

I'm afraid i disagree with most of the rest of your opinion. There are a lot of places where i sense you are ignorant and are possibly working from a strongly skewed set of "facts", but i don't feel like getting into a political argument on a camera forum. I come here to relax, not to get stressed

You are correct on one very important point though - the EU and it's machinery *has* become distant and divorced from the public it is supposed to be serving. And the
...Show more

Thats what I am saying, it went from being about the people to restricting them, over powering them, even restricting their freedom of speech.

Jun 26, 2016 at 04:18 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Off-Topic, General Talk - Some sobering news

SouthwestS2K wrote:
Thats what I am saying, it went from being about the people to restricting them, over powering them, even restricting their freedom of speech.

Could i ask when you were last living in Europe?

Jun 26, 2016 at 04:39 PM
ArizonaImage
• • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Off-Topic, General Talk - Some sobering news

15Bit wrote:
Could i ask when you were last living in Europe?

I visit often. I have lived in Eastern Europe, Austria for a bit.

Jun 26, 2016 at 04:57 PM
unclechuck
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Off-Topic, General Talk - Some sobering news

This is not 'news', it was widely known and expected to be announced the day after a "stay" BREXIT vote ...

European SUPERSTATE to be unveiled: EU nations 'to be morphed into one' post-Brexit

Jun 27, 2016 at 11:36 AM
ArizonaImage
• • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Off-Topic, General Talk - Some sobering news

unclechuck wrote:
This is not 'news', it was widely known and expected to be announced the day after a "stay" BREXIT vote ...

European SUPERSTATE to be unveiled: EU nations 'to be morphed into one' post-Brexit

Yup. Order out of Chaos. But, the thing is.. that treaty of a superstate would need to get voted in by member states, but it seems like many more member-states are flirting with a exit/remain referendum as well. Don't get me wrong, I do believe France and Germany will be the first to agree to a superstate. Next, they'll reform the government of the EU and it will literally mock the United States with a single-powerful president. Its insane anyways calling sovereign nations, member STATES.

Jun 28, 2016 at 01:54 PM
Savas K
• • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Off-Topic, General Talk - Some sobering news

Markets already appear to be recovering. Though not many are covering the recovery as extensively as they covered decline.

Jun 29, 2016 at 12:19 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Off-Topic, General Talk - Some sobering news

Savas K wrote:
Markets already appear to be recovering. Though not many are covering the recovery as extensively as they covered decline.

Yep, bad news is much more spectacular than good news. Just watch one of the news channels for an hour and seen how many good news stories get discussed. If all you believed in was the news...no matter what form it's in, the sky would truly be falling and the sun would not rise in the morning.

Jun 29, 2016 at 06:18 PM
       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.