New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · 25-50 mm manual focus zoom lens from Nikon

igmolinav
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 25-50 mm manual focus zoom lens from Nikon

Hi,

I am looking at a 25-50 mm manual focus lens from Nikon.
There is not so much information about it on the net.
I wonder if any of you guys used with a Nikon camera or
if any of you has used it on a Sony A7 camera?
How sharp are the optics, how good is it as an overall performer,
and how easy is it to handle or operate?
I wrote a similar thread on the Nikon forum, but I have
not gotten a lot of information:
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1437170

Thank you in advance, kind regards,

igmolinav : ) !!!

Jun 23, 2016 at 02:51 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 25-50 mm manual focus zoom lens from Nikon

Both it and the later 24-50 are decent but not exceptional wide/normal zooms. Handling can be a little odd. I'd not expect stellar performance on an A7, as the camera will noticeably outresolve the lens in the corners.

I've used the later 24-50 on a D600 and it was decent at f8, but never exceptional.

Jun 23, 2016 at 02:55 PM
igmolinav
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 25-50 mm manual focus zoom lens from Nikon

Hi,

Please tell me more. How do you mean, it will outresolve the lens in the corners?

Thank you, kind regards,

Jun 23, 2016 at 06:46 PM
mawz
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 25-50 mm manual focus zoom lens from Nikon

igmolinav wrote:
Hi,

Please tell me more. How do you mean, it will outresolve the lens in the corners?

Thank you, kind regards,

The lens is soft in the corners and the sensor is not, so the end result is mushy. Since the final output is a combination of lens resolution & sensor resolution, the lens becomes the limiting factor at the corners.

Jun 23, 2016 at 10:24 PM
Keith B.
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 25-50 mm manual focus zoom lens from Nikon

On my copy...shooting on a D800 36MP.... the center is sharp from wide open at 25 and 28, but less sharp(but still useable for some purposes) at 40 and 50.
Extreme fine detail is well-reproduced across the frame at f/8 and f/11 with the wider focal lengths. Acceptable at f/11 at 50mm.
The lens' biggest failing, to me, is that eye focusing goes very slowly due to the f/4 aperture and inherent large depth of field wide open.

Jun 25, 2016 at 12:16 PM
notherenow
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 25-50 mm manual focus zoom lens from Nikon

Ok, As I said in your other thread, I have the 24-50 AF lens and not the 25-50 f4 AIS/AI.

You have got me curious though so I just did a very quick (and flawed) test comparing it at 24mm and 50mm to my cheap and cheerful Canon IS ii kit lens that covers full frame on A7 series cameras from 24mm up. I also looked at it at 50mm against the A7 28-70 kit lens.

Even the cheap Canon APSC lens is FAR better than the 24-50 at least for my copies of each. The Sony kit lens is better still though the Canon was a surprise to me against the FE kit.

When you add adapters to the Canon and Nikon all three are about the same size but the Nikon is heaviest and the Canon the lightest.

Both the Canon and Sony are stabilized lenses and both AF though the Canon would be very slow to AF on the A7/A7s with most adapters.

From what I can find, the 25-50 f4 is a lot heavier still.

I think the upshot is that unless the older 25-50 is substantially better (by a magnitude of several times) than the 24-50 you might be better off with the FE kit lens second hand as you may well be able to get it for a similar price, you would likely get a better lens and cover a longer range and have stabilized AF as well and be much lighter.

I wouldn't get the Canon APSC kit lens specifically for A7 series cameras but I use it when I want a cheap FF 24mm snap shot lens.

There is a tiny bit of darkening against subjects that are light in the corners with the Canon at 23mm and that increases down to 18 where there is a large black circle. May be some small corner darkening as you approach 55mm too though it is still very useable to me. And of course it will work well in APSC mode for the full range.

By all means get the 25-50 if you like it but I do think there will be many more useful better lenses that will be smaller and cover the range you want and more and many will be cheaper.

Jun 25, 2016 at 06:12 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.