FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              29      
       end

Gameface media - heads up on getting paid

RandyR
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.30 #1 · p.30 #1 · Gameface media - heads up on getting paid

I seriously wonder if any of the prepay offers were ever paid. And the offers included pay for travel. For example I had a 3.5hr drive each way and was offered $300 to shoot 5 hours and $300 for travel including a motel room and food. The sad thing is they must have plenty of clients and if they would have done the prepay + travel thing we'd all be shooting for them, instead they have pissed us all off and have become toxic in the sports photographer community.

Oct 26, 2017 at 05:08 PM
MichGoBlue
• • •
p.30 #2 · p.30 #2 · Gameface media - heads up on getting paid

I keep receiving pre-pay offers but have been ignoring them because of what I have read here. Might take a chance on the next one if I am available though.

Nov 01, 2017 at 08:40 PM
gene2632
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.30 #3 · p.30 #3 · Gameface media - heads up on getting paid

Last two offers I got said nothing about pre-pay or any pay. Just the old $50 per hour. No minimums listed no start times listed, not nothing. Both were less than a week away and I am already busy on those dates so I passed.

Nov 01, 2017 at 10:09 PM
IKnowNuttin

p.30 #4 · p.30 #4 · Gameface media - heads up on getting paid

It's almost $1100 from 16 months ago. They offered me several jobs during the summer, but they ignore my emails asking about my chances of getting paid. Who is the current MF in charge? Is it still Lavalee?

Nov 02, 2017 at 04:37 PM
RandyR
• • • •
p.30 #5 · p.30 #5 · Gameface media - heads up on getting paid

I just got another email with no prepay and no button to accept.
and to think I unsubscribed

Nov 02, 2017 at 07:44 PM
dbaphotography
• •
p.30 #6 · p.30 #6 · Gameface media - heads up on getting paid

Not sure if I want to keep beating a dead horse, but the horse keeps kicking...

Last week I received another offer for a prepaid gig in Southern Utah four days prior to the event. I reminded them that I had been waiting over a year to be paid for another event, and that I would consider working for them again only after it was paid. They responded by asking if I would be willing to do the shoot if they paid the overdue bill along with the prepayment.

I told them I wasn't inclined to support a company that used payment of long overdue bills as a bargaining chip in negotiations for future work. Not surprisingly, they didn't respond.

Nov 06, 2017 at 01:40 AM
shelby_grebbin

p.30 #7 · p.30 #7 · Gameface media - heads up on getting paid

Hello,

My name is Shelby Grebbin and I'm a business correspondent with The Boston Globe. I'm following up on a story I wrote for the Globe about Gameface Media in March. If you are still waiting on compensation for your work or are seeking legal counsel please e-mail me at [email protected]

Here is a link to the article: https://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2017/03/02/gameface-media-raises-from-investors-easing-cash-crunch/pIr6wU2bTfL2uDzTZtrjvO/story.html

Best,
Shelby Grebbin

Nov 21, 2017 at 07:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Keagan

p.30 #8 · p.30 #8 · Gameface media - heads up on getting paid

Clearly the article has a significant disconnect with the information on this forum. Gameface continues to be unresponsive to photographers and as a result many of the Race Directors and Photographers are separating relationships with Gameface. At the core of the disconnect is GFM's business model does not serve the participants in a timely manner and people want near realtime results or nothing at all! Thank you ego stroking Facebook and Snapchat and a generation of entitled blue ribbon athletes. Can I get a LIKE....

Nov 21, 2017 at 08:38 PM
Marty Bingham
• • • •
p.30 #9 · p.30 #9 · Gameface media - heads up on getting paid

Keagan wrote:
Clearly the article has a significant disconnect with the information on this forum. Gameface continues to be unresponsive to photographers and as a result many of the Race Directors and Photographers are separating relationships with Gameface. At the core of the disconnect is GFM's business model does not serve the participants in a timely manner and people want near realtime results or nothing at all! Thank you ego stroking Facebook and Snapchat and a generation of entitled blue ribbon athletes. Can I get a LIKE....

The article was written in March. Things have changed. She wants updates from us. Can you get a CLUE?

Marty

Nov 21, 2017 at 08:53 PM
Keagan

p.30 #10 · p.30 #10 · Gameface media - heads up on getting paid

Oddly enough this was the same problem in March as it was a year ago and as it was five seconds ago. The core of the GFM business model is were the problems starts and until GFM improves this basic problem they will never be back and the continued miss direction is just that! That is not a clue that is a fact.

Nov 22, 2017 at 12:57 AM
RandyR
• • • •
p.30 #11 · p.30 #11 · Gameface media - heads up on getting paid

email from GF today:

Dear Gameface Photographers,

I am writing to thank you for your service this year and to give you an update on Gameface. Hundreds of photographers once again produced millions of professional photos that delighted amateur athletes around the world in 2017. You performed valiantly in the heat, cold, rain and mud during long work days. You also worked under stressful financial conditions where payments were often delayed. We greatly appreciate your patience and professionalism throughout.

I realize it may not feel this way to many of you, but we made significant financial progress at Gameface in 2017. We finally broke through to modest profitability early this summer. That has allowed us to make steady progress on payments to our photographers and to transition to a model in which we are pre-paying photographers for events rather than waiting until well after an assignment to pay your invoices. In many cases, you have asked that old invoices be paid at least in part before shooting again for Gameface. That is of course a fair request and we honored that hundreds of times this year. We expect that to be the model for 2018 as well.

We have two main sources of funds to fully catch up on any of your invoices that remain outstanding. The first is that we are now collecting from several of our clients who were overdue in paying Gameface. With your help, we have done great work for some of the largest companies in the sports world. Although these clients are happy with Gameface and renewing with us for 2018, payment cycles seem to grow longer every year. We are still collecting on engagements from this summer and even some assignments from 2016. Now that our biggest event expenses are behind us for the year, these funds will be used largely to pay our photographers.

The second source of funds to pay photographers is our investor base. We have dramatically trimmed expenses at HQ and eliminated some event clients that were very expensive to cover. (As a side note, I do not take a salary at Gameface.) Investors look at Gameface much differently now than they did in 2016 when we lost more than $1 million. We have interest from both our existing investors and new investors to provide enough money to fully clean up our payables. This deal will take several weeks to close, however, so we donít expect that will impact photographer payments until Q1 of 2018.

As many of you know all too well, we have been guilty of overly optimistic projections in the past. For that reason, I wanted to propose a payment schedule that is much more realistic. Our intent is to make as many payments as possible this month with the money we collect from our brand and event clients. After that, we plan to pay people 25% of any outstanding invoices as of December 31 in each of January, February, March and April of 2018. So if we owe you $200 as of the end of this year, we would pay you $50 in January, $50 in February, $50 in March and $50 in April. We understand that is not a perfect solution and will be even more frustrating to many of you, but we would rather be realistic than over promise and under deliver. We are happy to consider any particular circumstances since we know we have created some personal financial stress for many of you. We have also heard from several photographers who have told us that they would be willing to take a lesser amount for quicker payment. We are happy to discuss that option.

I apologize that I have not been in touch more often with all of you this year. I had intended to have more frequent written updates to the entire group. Because of the discussion in social media channels, I have been reluctant to share specifics in writing. Instead I have tried to have as many one-on-one conversations with our photographers as possible. I understand how frustrating this has been for many of you because I have heard it first-hand in our phone conversations and email exchanges. I realize that we have a First Amendment in this country and that you are applying pressure on all forms of media and on our Gameface clients to get quicker payments. I canít say that I wouldnít do that same thing if I were in your shoes. I would only ask respectfully that you consider the impact of these actions on Gameface. The best way for everyone to get paid -- and to continue to get paid -- is for Gameface to remain a healthy company. We have paid more than $5 million to our freelance photographers over the years, typically at the highest hourly rates in the industry. We would be very happy to continue those payments for some of the most exciting assignments in endurance events. From my conversations with many of you, I know that most of you share the same sentiment.

From the time we founded Gameface five years ago, we knew we would be travelling a bumpy road toward a new model for sports photography. We just didnít know how bumpy that road would be. Like most young companies, we wish we had a do-over on many aspects of our business plan. My biggest regret is how we have handled our relationships with many of you. You deserved quicker payments and more transparency. The new policy on pre-paying for events is a way to provide more than just words and promises. Likewise, the realistic payment schedule on older invoices is a way to provide some clarity on our plans. I know it may be disappointing to many of you, but it is an attempt at clarity and fiscal reality.

For the hundreds of freelance photographers who helped Gameface make dramatic progress this year, I thank you profusely. For those that have been disappointed at our slow payments, I apologize profusely. We are committed to continuing our steady progress on this front until everyone is satisfied.

Regards,

David

Gameface Co-Founder and CEO
[email protected]

my reply

David,

You are WAY too late. Prepaying while you still owe payments is unacceptable and it makes you and your company look dishonest and foolish. You can never be trusted again and this will follow you for years. Pay ALL your old debts and email that news to everyone and maybe your time in the penalty box will be minimized.

Dec 05, 2017 at 12:02 AM
MichGoBlue
• • •
p.30 #12 · p.30 #12 · Gameface media - heads up on getting paid

Got the same email, which prompted me to check this thread again.

I agree until they are all paid up it's really hard to trust them.

Dec 05, 2017 at 10:12 PM
Ralph Thompson
• • •
p.30 #13 · p.30 #13 · Gameface media - heads up on getting paid

I got the same email and I've only shot for them once a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.... Just when I thought this thread was going away....

Dec 06, 2017 at 04:19 AM
gschlact
• • • •
p.30 #14 · p.30 #14 · Gameface media - heads up on getting paid

Once they pay up everybody, the photographer community should still insist on prepayments. Only way to do business with them.

Dec 08, 2017 at 04:51 AM
       end

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password