FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              25      
       27              29       30       end

Gameface media - heads up on getting paid

bb123

Upload & Sell: Off
p.26 #1 · p.26 #1 · Gameface media - heads up on getting paid

mrenk5021 wrote:
Oh look it's April and people are still unpaid. Anyone that is still willing to work for Gameface you are part of the problem! Will they ever get everyone up to date and back to on time payments? Are they even trustable at this point? They have lied in each email they sent this past year. It's way past time for them to have us all paid in full.

According to this thread they have moved offices to reduce costs, laid off half of their team, and dropped all the races that weren't paying them enough. I can only guess why they did these things but I would guess its to settle up debts, pay the photographers and keep the company going

Yeh, the solution is to boycott them so they go out of business there are even less potential opportunities for us sports photographers to make money in this industry.

Are you kidding me? If you approach every situation as logically as this it's no wonder they kicked you out of the network.

Apr 03, 2017 at 05:44 PM
mrenk5021

p.26 #2 · p.26 #2 · Gameface media - heads up on getting paid

BB123:

It wouldn't matter if they kicked me out or not. I will not work for thieves. I still get OCR work and still get $50 an hr just like Gameface pays, only difference is I'm paid on time and every time. I have just as much work if not more then I had while working with GF. Whats your excuse? To lazy to look for other work? There is plenty of work for everyone, even more when GF folds. It's only a matter of time. 2016 you extended credit to them and got paid very little if at all. 2017 you will be volunteering for them. It's the same bullshit each time they send out a email. Our Sponsors didn't pay blah blah blah. Guess what those sponsors are under contract to pay, so why hasn't GF sued to get their money since the sponsors are obligated under contract to pay? You can continue being a volunteer, or you can get yourself out there and find real paying work from companies or races that value your time.

Apr 04, 2017 at 05:10 PM
bb123

p.26 #3 · p.26 #3 · Gameface media - heads up on getting paid

So they're now thieves, despite paying hundreds of thousands to photographers who are owed money? Again, your logic makes no sense at all.

Suing every time a sponsor is late on payment is a great way to destroy a sponsor relationship, but judging by your responses so far you don't seem to have a good handle on professionalism and how to not burn bridges. For the record, Mathew, I have plenty of photography work to keep me busy without Gameface, but I would still like for them to succeed so they can pay those of us who are still owed money. To wish for anything else is just short-sighted and petty.

Apr 06, 2017 at 01:14 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.26 #4 · p.26 #4 · Gameface media - heads up on getting paid

I haven't weighed in on this thread at all. Mainly, because I have never worked for GFM and really had nothing to offer. Photographers needed a place to share their experiences and offer support. And for that, the thread was productive. However, now that GFM seems to have taken care of the issues, the thread seems to be taking on a different turn. I don't see anything positive being offered and I see no need to keep this thread open. I am requesting that Fred lock it.

Apr 06, 2017 at 02:45 PM
shooshoo

p.26 #5 · p.26 #5 · Gameface media - heads up on getting paid

disagree. i and many (silent) others are still owed 4 figures

Apr 07, 2017 at 06:29 PM
FFPShooter

p.26 #6 · p.26 #6 · Gameface media - heads up on getting paid

I have been silent on the issue as well but have been following this thread closely. I have been with GF from the beginning and even before that. Former team leader as well working over 25 events a year for them. I am owed 4 figures and my wife is owed as well. This last round of "Payments" netted me $100 and my wife $350. Hardly caught up and settled. Over 6 months past due now.

I have been an endurance photographer for over 10 years working for a number of companies as well as operating my own. First time I have been screwed over this badly. As a business owner, I pay my help before I get paid. Without them, I can't operate. It comes down to respect and owning up to commitments. The reasons contracts are in place is to prevent these issues. Make an agreement, live up to it, and move on. GFM has not done that.

As far as I am concerned, the bridge burned down months ago by their own doing. They are a business, in business to make money. They will do what they have to to keep making money, even if that means screwing over the people they depend on. Typical corporate environment. After tax season I will be heavily evaluating collection efforts.

Apr 11, 2017 at 07:07 PM
jonjon

p.26 #7 · p.26 #7 · Gameface media - heads up on getting paid

Still owed well over 4 figures oldest invoice is out 7 months....

Apr 12, 2017 at 03:45 AM
gsamelson

p.26 #8 · p.26 #8 · Gameface media - heads up on getting paid

I agree that this thread needs to remain open because the issue is far from being resolved. I too am still owed 4 figures as are many others. I would be willing to bet that the total amount still owed to photographers is several hundred thousand dollars or more. I agree with mrenk5021 that not working for Gameface is in fact the best way to end this as soon as possible. By warning other photographers who haven't worked for them to stay away, as well as those that have worked in the past refusing to work, it will bring this ongoing issue to its ultimate conclusion that much quicker, and keep Gameface from taking advantage of any more people. This has been going on for a year now, and the lies continue. With over 30 years of experience managing and owning businesses, along with working with hundreds of others who were vendors and clients, I am hard pressed to find another company that is so poorly managed. VC investors are not going to continue throwing money at a bad business model in hopes that it might finally fix itself. Having worked for them for the last three years, I will be surprised if Gameface makes it to the end of the year.

Apr 13, 2017 at 01:49 AM
designer18

p.26 #9 · p.26 #9 · Gameface media - heads up on getting paid

Still owed over 2K. Invoiced 8 months ago. Flat out refusal to provide me with anything in writing (call only) regarding payment.. the payment plan option I provided to them was also ignored. It is getting old. I agree 100% with FFPShooter "It comes down to respect and owning up to commitments." --- It just seems so simple especially towards people who have done work to help your company.

Apr 20, 2017 at 11:30 PM
wvsam

p.26 #10 · p.26 #10 · Gameface media - heads up on getting paid

I just received a check from GFM from a compromised settlement with them. I got 70% of what I was owed. By the time I hired a MA attorney, or a local collection agency, I would have seen less than 50%. And with the amount owed, probably would have not found anyone to take the debt on anyways. SO, 70% now is better for me than waiting another 9 months to a year, IF I would have been paid at all. GFM already took me off of their shooter list because I dared to ask for my money, which also put me on the slow pay list.
For the sake of the hundreds of shooters who are owed thousands of dollars, I hope GFM stays alive and pays what it owes. As for me, I do not plan on working for them again. Which is a shame, they used to be a good company.

Apr 21, 2017 at 04:56 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Keagan

p.26 #11 · p.26 #11 · Gameface media - heads up on getting paid

Does anyone have information on how much Gameface pays for coverage rights to events like the Toughmudders, Chase Corporate challenge, Bay to Breakers? It would seem they are diverting a large amount of committed funds for previous photographers into contracts with these large events. Again more ponzi scheme and possibly illegal representation of intent to pay for past events. This seems like the continuation of the way these corporate raiders are operating. Remember the 13th amendment has been in place for a long time and this is at best a form of involuntary servitude based on the deception.

May 02, 2017 at 04:51 PM
jarm45

p.26 #12 · p.26 #12 · Gameface media - heads up on getting paid

As of 5/4/17 I am still owed money. 2 of my friends that used to work for them are still owed money as well. My emails have been ignored with the exception of one from a Brent Doscher whom essentially said I just just stop working for them in this case.

Very Helpful...

May 04, 2017 at 06:46 PM
mrenk5021

p.26 #13 · p.26 #13 · Gameface media - heads up on getting paid

Less then 30 days away from the 365 point of GF not paying their outstanding balance. So like I have said in the past, how will they ever get back to paying on time if they can't or wont pay the photographers that worked for them in the past. I do have all my files that I shot for them so maybe I can hit them with copyright infringement. I wouldn't think they own rights to my images if they didn't pay of the services I was contracted to provide. Anyone have experience with that?

May 09, 2017 at 03:01 AM
gschlact
• • • •
p.26 #14 · p.26 #14 · Gameface media - heads up on getting paid

mrenk5021 wrote:
Less then 30 days away from the 365 point of GF not paying their outstanding balance. So like I have said in the past, how will they ever get back to paying on time if they can't or wont pay the photographers that worked for them in the past. I do have all my files that I shot for them so maybe I can hit them with copyright infringement. I wouldn't think they own rights to my images if they didn't pay of the services I was contracted to provide. Anyone have experience with that?

Contractual obligations are not reciprocal if a party is in breach.

May 10, 2017 at 05:16 AM
poppyphoto

p.26 #15 · p.26 #15 · Gameface media - heads up on getting paid

I would encourage all unpaid photographers to consider filing a breach of contract suit along with copyright infringement. Even if you haven't registered your photographs, you still have legal copyright to them, it's just that the damages are limited to "actual damages" or industry standard licensing fees. For thousands of images shot at an event that would add up in a hurry. Check with your state's guidelines because you might be able to pursue the action in small claims court rather than having to hire an attorney.

May 10, 2017 at 10:29 PM
MikalWGrass
• •
p.26 #16 · p.26 #16 · Gameface media - heads up on getting paid

You don't have legal copyright to photos that you contractually signed away, unless the contract was into under fraud, duress, etc., and there was no meeting of the minds. I doubt you can convince a judge that you still own the images if GFM didn't pay you for your appearance. I believe that copyright infringement is an action separate and apart from breach of contract, or whatever other suit may be filed against GFM.

May 11, 2017 at 06:07 PM
gschlact
• • • •
p.26 #17 · p.26 #17 · Gameface media - heads up on getting paid

MikalWGrass wrote:
You don't have legal copyright to photos that you contractually signed away, unless the contract was into under fraud, duress, etc., and there was no meeting of the minds. I doubt you can convince a judge that you still own the images if GFM didn't pay you for your appearance. I believe that copyright infringement is an action separate and apart from breach of contract, or whatever other suit may be filed against GFM.

Breach would certainly play into ruling, and likely fraud based on he volume for contracts by GFM that have not been paid. Besides, copyright was only signed away in return for payment, thus legally, the contract was never fulfilled.

Common Breaches of Contract
When any contract is made an agreement is formed between parties to carry out a service and payment for that service. If one of the parties fails to carry out their side of the agreement then the party can be said to be in breach of contract. Breach of contract can also occur if work carried out is defective or if one party makes the other aware that they will not be carrying out the agreed work.
Breaches of contract can also include non payment for a service or not paying on time, failure to deliver services or goods, and being late with services without a reasonable excuse. Terms and conditions are a fundamental part of a legally binding contract and any broken terms can lead to breach of contract.

May 12, 2017 at 05:43 AM
FFPShooter

p.26 #18 · p.26 #18 · Gameface media - heads up on getting paid

I have done some research into this and although there is a definitive breach in contract, the copyright claim would be difficult and would involve litigation in federal court. I am sure GF knows this which is why they are not worried about screwing us over. Since money has not changed hands, not being paid for services rendered, there is no contract without consideration. I do believe that if one was within the 3 month registration window, there would be a solid case of infringement with damages. However taking that course of action is very expensive in federal court and only an attorney that knows they can win would take that on. Can't sue for infringement in small claims unfortunately either. Settlement deal is looking more appealing.

May 12, 2017 at 12:55 PM
Long Shot

Upload & Sell: On
p.26 #19 · p.26 #19 · Gameface media - heads up on getting paid

No dog in the fight, and not an attorney..... But could an enterprising attorney get a class action classification on this? Look at possible corporate fraud, collect punitive damages as well?

May 14, 2017 at 12:38 PM
jarm45

p.26 #20 · p.26 #20 · Gameface media - heads up on getting paid

Talk to an IP attorney, register copyright for your whole batch of photos, file infringement suit.

May 25, 2017 at 05:38 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password