New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Flowered meadow 2

ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Flowered meadow 2

This is the last shot of the series but is taken in the same direction as yesterdays. It was later after the color was gone. I considered starting here, but as you see the flowers are sparse in this location. But it does allow an UWA lens and that in turn is good for the low and close method that makes the flowers appear larger. Unfortunately, the flowers slope away from me and because of a hole, I could not get many flowers close to the camera.

A well corrected and level UWA lens has straight vertical and horizontal lines, but simple geometry means the diagonals are pulled. If you shoot a tire laying on the ground it will appear oval. You can see this in the clouds of this image, which gives drama that would not occur with a longer lens to this degree.

I processed this from a single image with yesterdays comments in mind but with my own vision retained.

Please let me know what you would change?

Do the color look right? Too much saturation, clarity or shadow lifting? Not sharp enough? Not enough USM?

The one I will print has even more drama, this is the web version.

Jun 23, 2016 at 11:08 AM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Flowered meadow 2

From what I can tell on my monitor it shows some magenta cast.
How does this WB correction look to you?

Jun 23, 2016 at 12:03 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Flowered meadow 2

Hmm, have to think about it, the flowers seem too yellow, but maybe that's me. Overall mine is just warmer, I need to go back and look at my raws. I do like the greens however.

What did you use as a guide?

Edit:

Ok, I compared an exposure of the foreground with daylight wb and it pretty much matches mine for green and yellow. Your sky is more accurate however.

Jun 23, 2016 at 12:44 PM
Shasoc
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Flowered meadow 2

As a guide I used the "Greens" evaluating the colors in LAB. In natural greens the "a" channel is always negative and "b" channel is always positive. The value of "b" channel should be around 1.5 to 2.5 the absolute value of the a channel. Evergreens are Bluer than other species. I settled the value of the "b" channel to 2.0 the absolute value of "a" channel. In your image the value of the "b" channel is about 3 times the absolute value of the "a" channel. This explains the warm cast.
However you saw the scene and you know better. In addition the correct WB isn't always the best WB>
Socrate

Jun 23, 2016 at 03:59 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Flowered meadow 2

Thanks Socarte, I have not used lab for a while, so I will look at the a versus b for this. I have cataracts which give me a natural yellow filter.

Jun 23, 2016 at 04:46 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.