New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Office Lobbies

Max_Pain
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Office Lobbies

Here are some photos I've been meaning to take for a long while. This is the lobby/landing area for each floor, 2nd, 3rd and 4th of the office building I work at. I always thought it looked like a magazine spread, and wondered if I could do the scene justice. I think I like the results. All taken with 6D + 16-35mm f/4L IS.

C&C welcome. Thanks for looking.

Jun 22, 2016 at 07:45 PM
Fast6
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Office Lobbies

Nice spaces and staging; the second is the most balanced.

From an architectural photography standpoint, they're taken from too low, and there's perspective distortion from having the camera out of level. Since you're not using a tilt-shift, about the only thing you can do is back up to get a wider view, then crop to your desired composition. You could fix both of those things from your current shooting spot with a tilt-shift, but shooting with a normal lens just adds some extra steps to get the perspective correct.

Jun 22, 2016 at 11:51 PM
Max_Pain
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Office Lobbies

Thanks for the feedback, it's really helpful. I'm not an achitectural guy, so I had no idea the distortion would be distracting. Even after seeing your feedback I'm having a hard time seeing the distortion, but I know that's the point of TS lenses so I'll take your word for it

I am surprised to hear I shot it too low. That was on purpose, avoiding my more typical mistake of shooting too high. I guess I have to find a happy medium. As far as backing up and zooming in, it wasn't an option here, as the spaces were limited. Really, the 17mm TS would probably have been the best way to go about this, but then I would have to learn how to use TS first

Thanks again for the feedback. It was an exercise, I'll keep practicing

Jun 23, 2016 at 10:39 AM
Fast6
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Office Lobbies

Yep no worries. I'll elaborate a little more.

I say "too low" because we're seeing the tables nearly edge-on. A higher view, but shifted down, would preserve your desired top and bottom framing but show the elements in the scene from a different perspective.

Regarding the perspective distortion: it's easiest to point out in #2, although it's present in all 3. Take a look at the far corner of the room; that line is perfectly vertical. Now look at the outer edges of the art on both walls. They're -straight- lines, but they're not -parallel-; you can see that they'd intersect somewhere below the bottom of the frame. This has happened because your camera is pointed down in order to get your desired (great) composition. If your camera was perfectly level, all 3 of those lines would be parallel.

Totally understand the limitation of not being able to back up any more; one of the great indignities of photographing spaces like this

Do you have a 14mm or something even wider? From the same spot, if you can shoot wider, then you can both be higher and also keep the camera level, but then crop down to a bottom-weighted composition.

Does all that make sense?

Jun 23, 2016 at 11:40 AM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.