Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · Wine spilled on camera :(...

grizz9
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Wine spilled on camera :(...

I was at a bar and left my camera on the bar foolishly and had a full glass of wine spilled on it. Now this was a canon G9x so we are not talking of a ton of lost value if it is dead but it is only 2 weeks old and this was my first real weekend using it. But in theory this question goes to any camera or electrical item. How well do they recover from this? Wine is full of sugar and I am having issues turning the dials. Especially the big dial around the lens. the camera does power on and seems to function. Just all of the dials are sticky. Is there a fix to clean this? Thanks...John

Jun 22, 2016 at 11:50 AM
Daniel Smith
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Wine spilled on camera :(...

Red, or white?

What vintage?

Jun 22, 2016 at 11:57 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Wine spilled on camera :(...

I hope Jefferson will join your thread soon, because I think he's got a wealth of experience in the matter, given that he apparently imbibes very liberally, with a total abandon, while he shoots. Granted, he seems to prefer beer over wine.

Jun 22, 2016 at 11:57 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Wine spilled on camera :(...

I would carefully clean the exterior and around the dials (battery out) with small amounts of distilled water or 99.9% Isopropyl alcohol with a soft unused toothbrush and microfiber cloth. You can probably get most of it off that way and if the camera is sealed you might have some luck. Hard to tell the extent of damage though.

Jun 22, 2016 at 12:31 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Wine spilled on camera :(...

Yeah, beer is safer to use around cameras than wine! My 5D2 has taken several spills and is 8 years old and still going strong. However, sodas, e.g., Coke, are real camera and keyboard killers. If you bought it with a credit card some of them have accident coverage during the first year of ownership.

Jun 22, 2016 at 12:46 PM
mikethevilla
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Wine spilled on camera :(...

Just rub a little wet wipe around the sticky stuff. It'll be fine.

I've spilled much worse fluids on my cameras.

Jun 22, 2016 at 01:15 PM
evertdoorn
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Wine spilled on camera :(...

I once had a pig pee on my camera. True story

Jun 22, 2016 at 01:23 PM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Wine spilled on camera :(...

evertdoorn wrote:

was it at a wedding shoot?

Jun 22, 2016 at 02:10 PM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Wine spilled on camera :(...

Did you use a credit card to buy the camera? Often credit card agreements include own damage protection on electronic items, often for double the original warranty length.

As for cleaning the camera, good luck! Wine is can be difficult to clean properly.

Jun 22, 2016 at 03:59 PM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Wine spilled on camera :(...

grizz9 wrote:
I was at a bar and left my camera on the bar foolishly and had a full glass of wine spilled on it. Now it is dead but it is only 2 weeks old and this was my first real weekend using it..How well do they recover from this? Wine is full of sugar and I am having issues turning the dials. Especially the big dial around the lens. the camera does power on and seems to function. Just all of the dials are sticky. Is there a fix to clean this? Thanks...John

Wine .. !
Because no good story begins with a salad.

First, a two week old anything is too young to be at a bar.
Second, If it's dead ... it won't recover.

" ... Wine is full of sugar and I am having issues turning the dials ... " Wine' also contains alcohol which may inhibit to some degree ... manual dexterity, adding to the dial turning issue.

Fortunately wine is biodegradable (unless it's Mad Dog 20/20), and the effects of spilled wine will soon fade away with time.

Side Note: I have not experienced the same with beer .. at least not with a good IPA

Glad to be of assistance ..
Jefferson ..

Jun 22, 2016 at 05:43 PM
Jefferson
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Wine spilled on camera :(...

PetKal wrote:
I hope Jefferson will join your thread soon, because I think he's got a wealth of experience in the matter, given that he apparently imbibes very liberally, with a total abandon, while he shoots. Granted, he seems to prefer beer over wine.

.. I only drink Beer on days that end in "Y" ..

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-JTCh7ZJ/0/Ti/i-JTCh7ZJ-Ti.jpg

Jun 22, 2016 at 05:48 PM
VictorJB
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Wine spilled on camera :(...

Did you buy this on a credit card? If so many credit cards have accident protection.

grizz9 wrote:
I was at a bar and left my camera on the bar foolishly and had a full glass of wine spilled on it. Now this was a canon G9x so we are not talking of a ton of lost value if it is dead but it is only 2 weeks old and this was my first real weekend using it. But in theory this question goes to any camera or electrical item. How well do they recover from this? Wine is full of sugar and I am having issues turning the dials. Especially the big dial around the lens. the
...Show more

Jun 22, 2016 at 07:36 PM
grizz9
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Wine spilled on camera :(...

Thanks for all of the replies. Ill touch on them here. I got this camera solely to take to places that it could have issues which is why it was in a bar a two weeks. Hearing that wine will degrade over time and this could clear up is re assuring. Pig piss, hmm, that one would be chucked . For the record I was drinking a beer at the time and the person reaching over me to get her glass of wine is what spilled it. I am very familiar with beer damage. Both to camera and other . I have cleaned it the best I can and basically it functions fine. The large dal around the lens is sticking some. If as stated this might go away over time I think Ill be OK. If not that dial is primarily used to change aperture and this little camera only has a limited amount to choose from and it will be alright I guess. Just glad it ws not a better tool as I might have lost it ... Thanks,again..John

Jun 23, 2016 at 08:27 AM
rw11
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Wine spilled on camera :(...

is there a story behind the reason why the wine-woman is not paying for a repair?

Jun 23, 2016 at 02:13 PM
grizz9
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Wine spilled on camera :(...

Ehh they are friends and I really don't want to go down that road.

Jun 23, 2016 at 06:15 PM
svassh
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Wine spilled on camera :(...

Wipe it down and seal it in a large zip lock bag of uncooked rice. I've recovered more than one cell phone that was dropped into water. May take a few weeks. Open the battery tray and card slot if applicable to let the rice draw out any moisture.

Jun 23, 2016 at 08:31 PM
leica_f64

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Wine spilled on camera :(...

Another option is aerosol contact cleaner once everything is dry. This will dissolve the sugars under the dials letting them turn more freely. The main ingredient evaporates and will hopefully move the sugars to an external surface. With three kids I've has many a foreign liquid spill where it shouldn't be.

Jun 23, 2016 at 08:57 PM
campy
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Wine spilled on camera :(...

evertdoorn wrote:

I don't want to hog this thread, but that would really piss me off.

Jun 24, 2016 at 07:24 PM
pingflood
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Wine spilled on camera :(...

When possible I've used dental floss to get under sticky dials (though that likely won't help with around-the-lens dials) with a fair amount of success.

Jun 26, 2016 at 08:39 AM
ratherfish
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Wine spilled on camera :(...

Aerosol electronics contact cleaner is a good suggestion. Evaporates quickly, leaves no residue and usually works for me.

Jun 26, 2016 at 09:16 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.