New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Lighting Strategy for a In-Hotel Ceremony and Reception

bipock
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lighting Strategy for a In-Hotel Ceremony and Reception

Note: Cross-post from Weddings

I've got a couple getting married in August at the local Hampton Inn. I assumed that they were getting married outside on the grounds with the reception inside, but apparently the old "assumption"ism holds true.

The ceremony is in a conference room - no windows, low lights, unbounceable walls. The ceiling is pretty tall but could be used for bouncing, so that option is there. The reception is going to be more typical for me - OCF on stands, trigger on camera.

The ceremony is throwing me though. Any thoughts on how to light the ceremony without it looking flashed?

Gear would be 1.4 or 2.8 lenses, D5/D750s, 2 SB-910s, Rovelight.

Jun 21, 2016 at 03:55 PM
Steve Wylie
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lighting Strategy for a In-Hotel Ceremony and Reception

I think the first thing I'd do is go over there now and really assess what it takes to get you to a shutter speed enabling you to get a sharp image, and a white balance that is reasonable for the circumstances. With an accurate gray card and a Passport Color Checker, you could do a custom profile for the ambient conditions (shooting RAW of course), and see if that gets you where you need to be.

Failing that, I'm not sure how I'd proceed, other than by bringing in some additional lights, and shooting very judiciously, so as not to destroy the mood.

Or, if all else fails, go black and white, and call it "art". Whatever you need to do, let the couple know in advance what you need to do to get images that they'll be proud of.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Jun 21, 2016 at 08:12 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lighting Strategy for a In-Hotel Ceremony and Reception

How high is the ceiling? Shot a few as a guest, maybe 12 ft. ceiling. Bouncing wasn't a problem. Looked pretty good.

Jun 27, 2016 at 04:40 PM
tcphoto
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lighting Strategy for a In-Hotel Ceremony and Reception

I seriously doubt those speed lights would do the job. I would look at the venue, ask about how it will be lit on that day and then think about renting a kit to light the room from the corners. You can get an acceptable exposure and then use a speed light to fill. Just my .02

Jun 28, 2016 at 06:57 AM
dmward
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lighting Strategy for a In-Hotel Ceremony and Reception

I'd have to go back and count to determine how many ceremonies I've shot in hotel conference rooms or similar.
There is no such thing as an "unbouncable" wall. There are walls that, when used for bounce create WB concerns. If the guests can see, there is enough light for high ISO shooting. Rove light bounced into a corner in back or against the wall ceiling in back, speedlite bounced into wall ceiling from camera.

I've never seen a conference room in a hotel that didn't have some lighting control. Its just a matter of figuring out what you have, what you may want to do to augment it and accepting that the images will be high ISO.

Jun 28, 2016 at 01:01 PM
AmbientMike
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lighting Strategy for a In-Hotel Ceremony and Reception

I'm not a pro wedding guy, but FWIW:

Theyd probably let you take someone and get a few test shots there. Or maybe even one of the hotel employees would fora few minutes, especially if you tipped or sent a jpg for fb.

I'd rather have a 140 GN at 50mm flash than 100GN, but both should work.

I've seen people at least try to bounce off black rock around a fireplace, should work

Jun 28, 2016 at 05:46 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.