New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              45      
       end

Official: Hasselblad X1D-50c Medium Format Mirrorless

blue265

Upload & Sell: Off
p.46 #1 · p.46 #1 · Official: Hasselblad X1D-50c Medium Format Mirrorless

Outdoor photographer Michael Clark reviews the X1D-50C @ http://blog.michaelclarkphoto.com/?p=5689

Conclusion

"Having lugged my Hasselblad H5D 50c WiFi all over the world the last year and a half, along with a decent size Nikon kit, the thought of having a smaller, lightweight 50 MP medium format rig is very appealing. The X1D is an excellent camera, with identical image quality to my H5D or new H6D 50c. The size and weight of the X1D is very similar to my Nikon D810. It is such an elegant camera that I found it very hard to put down once I started shooting with it. The X1D reminds me a lot of the Mamiya 7II, which was one of my favorite medium format cameras ever. The X1D’s small size, straightforward, no-nonsense approach to photography, like all Hasselblad cameras, helps you to concentrate on the image and not on the camera. In other words the camera doesn’t get in the way of the image.

As an adventure sports photographer, this would not be the camera I reach for when trying to capture fast action. The shutter lag would be a major hindrance. Also, the viewfinder may or may not work well with tracking fast moving subjects. With my H5D, the near instantaneous shutter release allows me to set up the shot and capture action fairly easily. On the other hand, the X1D is a stellar landscape camera. I can also see it being used for other genres like portraits and street photography.

Hasselblad has taken quite a few hits in the media the last few months with the late shipping of the X1D, a new CEO and DJI making a larger investment in the company. Everything seems to have been blown a bit out of proportion if you ask me. In the end, what Hasselblad has done with the X1D is revitalize their brand in a way few camera companies have ever done. The X1D is nothing short of a futuristic version of the original Hasselblad 500 series cameras that they brought to the market in 1941. Don’t get me wrong, it has a few issues to be worked out but they are minor and will surely be fixed this year with firmware updates.

So, I suppose the big question is: “Will I be buying one?” At this point I am still paying off my H5D system so the impetus to spend more money on a somewhat equivalent setup is lacking. Do I want one? Hell yeah. But, I am set for now with my H5D. I will be watching for news of X1D firmware updates and news of the new lenses that become available for it very closely. I might even rent it for specific assignments where I want top-end image quality but need it in a small, compact kit. At some point down the road I could easily see myself purchasing the X1D but for now I am holding off. We’ll see how long I can resist this gorgeous piece go kit…"

Feb 11, 2017 at 04:57 PM
aly324
• •
p.46 #2 · p.46 #2 · Official: Hasselblad X1D-50c Medium Format Mirrorless

Michael Clark just amended his review to suggest that the perceived shutter lag may be viewfinder blackout after all. Take note of that.

Feb 13, 2017 at 03:19 PM
blue265

p.46 #3 · p.46 #3 · Official: Hasselblad X1D-50c Medium Format Mirrorless

Thanks, that seems to jell with most of the X1D owners @ DPI.

Feb 13, 2017 at 03:29 PM
blue265

p.46 #4 · p.46 #4 · Official: Hasselblad X1D-50c Medium Format Mirrorless

Hasselblad has released firmware upgrade 1.15.0. for the X1D-50c.

http://static.hasselblad.com/2014/11/Release-Notes-X1D-1_15_0.pdf

Feb 15, 2017 at 04:12 PM
tintoreto

p.46 #5 · p.46 #5 · Official: Hasselblad X1D-50c Medium Format Mirrorless

X1D Street review:

https://spark.adobe.com/page/Dxh7Mt7Rh2qls/

Feb 17, 2017 at 09:25 PM
tintoreto

p.46 #6 · p.46 #6 · Official: Hasselblad X1D-50c Medium Format Mirrorless

New X lenses will arrive...

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/hasselblad-announces-new-xcd-35120mm-macro-lens/

Feb 28, 2017 at 09:22 PM
ken.vs.ryu
• • • •
p.46 #7 · p.46 #7 · Official: Hasselblad X1D-50c Medium Format Mirrorless

http://www.hasselblad.com/press/press-releases/hasselblad-announces-four-new-xcd-lenses-for-the-x1d

XCD 120mm Macro
XCD 35-75mm Zoom
XCD 65mm
XCD 22mm

Feb 28, 2017 at 09:42 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.46 #8 · p.46 #8 · Official: Hasselblad X1D-50c Medium Format Mirrorless

ken.vs.ryu wrote:
http://www.hasselblad.com/press/press-releases/hasselblad-announces-four-new-xcd-lenses-for-the-x1d

XCD 120mm Macro
XCD 35-75mm Zoom
XCD 65mm
XCD 22mm

Looks like a very nice set of lenses in all. This makes a pretty good set, but maybe they will make perhaps up to 2 or 3 more. A 140 f/2.8 as a portrait lens would be nice. A 35mm f/3.5 might also make sense. And perhaps a 50-100 zoom. I doubt we will see all of those or anything longer, but who really knows. I think something like the 140 should be added to the system and would sell reasonably well, but all of this is contingent on pretty good sales I would expect.

Mar 01, 2017 at 12:16 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

tintoreto

p.46 #9 · p.46 #9 · Official: Hasselblad X1D-50c Medium Format Mirrorless

Unfortunately the 120mm macro is 1:2 not 1:1...

Mar 02, 2017 at 10:10 AM
Lee Saxon
• • • •
p.46 #10 · p.46 #10 · Official: Hasselblad X1D-50c Medium Format Mirrorless

So the X1D and GFX already have more lenses than the SL. That's pretty weird, right.

Mar 02, 2017 at 12:49 PM
naturephoto1
• • • •
p.46 #11 · p.46 #11 · Official: Hasselblad X1D-50c Medium Format Mirrorless

Lee Saxon wrote:
So the X1D and GFX already have more lenses than the SL. That's pretty weird, right.

Hi Lee,

The SL has I believe 4 more lenses coming in 2017 (plus the 3 in production). It also accepts all Leica M, Leica Screw mount, Leica R, Leica SL2 lenses, and all TL lenses (it is the Jack of All Trades Leica Camera in terms of accepting Leica lenses; no other Leica camera accepts so many Leica lenses). Add to that it accepts lenses made by many other manufactures as well.

Rich

Mar 02, 2017 at 12:56 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.46 #12 · p.46 #12 · Official: Hasselblad X1D-50c Medium Format Mirrorless

Lee Saxon wrote:

Lee,
Rich is right. In addition to the 24-90 and 90-280 zooms and the 50 lux that are currently available. They have announced a 90 cron APO, a 75 cron APO, a 16-35 zoom, all due in 2017, and a 35 cron due in Spring 2018. So all three companies have 3 lenses available now and will have a decent line up with just a few holes in a year or so and will probably have a pretty complete line by the end of 2018. If you are interested in more details here is the Leica press release about the upcoming lenses:

https://us.leica-camera.com/Company/Press-Centre/Press-Releases/Press-Releases-2016/Press-Release-New-lenses-expand-the-Leica-SL-System

Mar 02, 2017 at 03:02 PM
trajan
• •
p.46 #13 · p.46 #13 · Official: Hasselblad X1D-50c Medium Format Mirrorless

Did anybody try the x1d with SB-5000? In the manual, SB-5000 is not listed as compatible, but on the B&H website it's listed as accessory.

Mar 12, 2017 at 11:21 PM
trajan
• •
p.46 #14 · p.46 #14 · Official: Hasselblad X1D-50c Medium Format Mirrorless

... and the SB-5000 works at least when placed on the camera (not the remote function) I expect the remote function will work as soon as Hasselblad implements the support for it. They are behind if firmware, but at least it seems they are making quick progress. Already at 1.5 firmware for the camera and another for the lenses.

Mar 17, 2017 at 01:37 AM
Jay968
• •
p.46 #15 · p.46 #15 · Official: Hasselblad X1D-50c Medium Format Mirrorless

Has anyone noticed that the SB5000 produces images with the X1D that are slightly too green? I find that if I filter with a very slight minus green filter (magenta) it clears up wonderfully.
Also, I have been shooting with a Comet strobe and the only way I can get the white balance correct is to manually set it to about 8000k. Anything less, especially around 5500k comes out waaaayy too blue.
Does anyone else have these wb issues or anything similar when using flash or studio strobe?

Apr 30, 2017 at 04:16 AM
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password