Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Huntington Beach Surf Comp

Nuchuga
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Huntington Beach Surf Comp

Hey FM. This past weekend I was blessed to have the opportunity to shoot a surf competition. I had never shot surfing prior so I found it to be quite tough however I am pleased with the results. Id love to hear your critiques and understand what I can do to improve!

Cheers

Edited on Jun 19, 2016 at 04:23 PM · View previous versions

Jun 19, 2016 at 04:16 PM
thebmrust
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Huntington Beach Surf Comp

Suggestions on how to improve: post more than one image.

Jun 21, 2016 at 08:34 PM
P Alesse
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Huntington Beach Surf Comp

Hey Nate... agree that a range of 6-8 images is best to give feedback. On this one you posted, not sure why you elected to use a pano crop when something more standard might have been more appropriate.

Jun 22, 2016 at 09:06 AM
Tom D
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Huntington Beach Surf Comp

Hey Nate, I agree with thebmrust and Paul- post more images, and go with a more standard crop. I'd add to resize the image small enough to avoid sideways scrolling to see the entire frame, as it really kills the impact of viewing it. Paul, can't remember the numbers to recommend- 1000 to 1200 pixels max width?

One other thing- shooting a June morning at the beach in SoCal will likely be in the thick of our infamous June Gloom, the annual overcast that usually burns off by midday. It's giving your image a load of blue cast, so be sure to shoot in RAW mode to provide a cleaner way to warm it up later.

Other than that, I think you picked a pretty decent moment to pull the trigger, especially for a first time surf shot. Looks cool.

Jun 28, 2016 at 09:36 AM
coles2020

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Huntington Beach Surf Comp

You probably shot this from the beach. I try to shoot from out on the pier, which gets me closer to the action. Plus, I try to capture a surfer face-on, since their expressions can add a lot to the shot. In addition, if the action on the South side of the pier is slow, simply walk across to the North side - especially when a contest is in progress (South side). Many times I've spotted more advanced surfers who are not participating in the contest. I've got lots of surf shots from the pier at www.pbase.com/gwcoles.

Jul 01, 2016 at 01:23 PM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.