New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · These worth much?

ArizonaImage
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · These worth much?

I was searching local classifieds and found a set of old Nikon bodies. Owner is asking $2,500 for the set. Thoughts? I like older bodies

Nikon F2AS
Nikon FE2
Nikon F3
Nikon F4

Jun 17, 2016 at 11:23 PM
kwoodard
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · These worth much?

If things are near mint, fully functional, and the glass is included...maybe.

Jun 18, 2016 at 01:59 AM
the solitaire
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · These worth much?

$350 for the F2 if all works. $500 if mint
$150 for the FE2, $250 if mint
$300 for the F3
$250 for the F4

$250-300 for the 20mm f3,5
$125 for the 50mm f1,4
$150 for the 105mm f2,5
$150 for what looks like a 35-70 f3,5 Ai
$250 for what looks like a Sigma macro

I would say $1500-$1750 would be a realistic package price for the stuff on the table.

Jun 18, 2016 at 02:53 AM
Charles Loy
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · These worth much?

the solitaire wrote:
I would say $1500-$1750 would be a realistic package price for the stuff on the table.

And the price is dropping big time on film gear, so unless you are a collector the gear is not a good investment. I have a couple of the above and basically need to give it away. Just my opinion.

Jun 18, 2016 at 09:14 AM
sandycrane
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · These worth much?

Yes, it's incredible. The cameras I lusted after when I was a boy go for peanuts. Unfortunately film is too much of a hassle for me and I already have too much stuff just to have them.

Jun 18, 2016 at 09:30 AM
ckcarr
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · These worth much?

Probably why the guy is trying to dump them.
He finally has realized that film is dead. With the exception of large format, that I'd like to try.

Maybe buy one, and keep for nostalgia. Just realize that for every $100 you spend, you have $100 less in value...

Jun 18, 2016 at 09:35 AM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · These worth much?

Charles Loy wrote:
And the price is dropping big time on film gear, so unless you are a collector the gear is not a good investment. I have a couple of the above and basically need to give it away. Just my opinion.

Actually not. It's already had the big drop and is now holding steady. Top condition stuff is increasing a bit. The older cameras without autofocus is worth more than the newer F4. I agree with the estimated value , depending on condition. Probably closer to $1,500 though. Last year I paid about $500 for a Nikon F3T, but it was in great condition. The three AiS lenses I bought were running about $200 each.

Kent in SD

Jun 18, 2016 at 12:34 PM
Charles Loy
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · These worth much?

Two23 wrote:
Actually not.

Kent in SD

Different locations, fact where I live. This is not a good investment at the price mentioned. Good day

Jun 18, 2016 at 12:38 PM
ArizonaImage
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · These worth much?

Yeah seems like hes an honest seller. But based off individuals prices, his seems a tad high.

Jun 18, 2016 at 03:05 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · These worth much?

Charles Loy wrote:
[ This is not a good investment at the price mentioned. Good day

NO camera gear is an investment, not even my lenses from the 1840s.

Kent in SD

Jun 18, 2016 at 06:59 PM
Charles Loy
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · These worth much?

Two23 wrote:

Kent in SD

OK. I'll keep my thoughts to myself. I'm not in your league

Jun 18, 2016 at 09:35 PM
the solitaire
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · These worth much?

Charles Loy wrote:

I have to agree with Kent here.

I have been following more recent market developments for a few years and prices are fairly stable. Raising slightly on certain models as long as the condition of the equipment is good enough to pass as "collectable"

Early Nikon F's, especially black ones with NKT engraving, red dot models and Nikkor engraved models seem to be on a slight rise.

F2T and F2SB are on a slight rise

Other F2 models remain stable with the DE-1 and DP-12 models getting the better prices.

The F3 prices have been stable for years now.

As far as the lenses go, those prices have been on a slight rise for some lenses since the introduction of 24x36mm sensors on Nikon cameras in 2007. The big drop was from 1999 to 2005.

None of the items above make for an "investment" in that none will likely increase in value. Production numbers were high, desirability low. The best you can hope for is that you can sell the items for the price you bought it for, provided the condition of the equipment is already good to excellent and does not decrease.

I keep a small "collection" of film cameras to use for myself, and have a working set of manual focus lenses which I prefer to use over thodays AF offerings.

Jun 19, 2016 at 03:18 AM
Charles Loy
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · These worth much?

You guys have me all pumped and nearly pizzing in my pants, to sell an F (Photomic FTn, I think) with 50 1.4 lens, that I own. Thanks

Jun 19, 2016 at 08:29 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · These worth much?

Two23 wrote:

Kent in SD

Did you buy them new?

Jun 19, 2016 at 09:04 AM
shmn
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · These worth much?

SouthwestS2K wrote:
I was searching local classifieds and found a set of old Nikon bodies. Owner is asking $2,500 for the set. Thoughts? I like older bodies

If you want them...buy them. I wouldn't worry about "investments" and the like. Life if short. Enjoy it. If you have the cash...treat yourself to some nice gear that might bring some joy to your life. If you can't afford the gear...well, then...that's a decision you need to make.

"the solitaire" had some good price break-downs which should be a good starting point if you want to make an offer.

I've bought a lot of gear and then sold it for less than I paid. But I got use and enjoyment out of the gear so I call it a "rental fee". I'm not into photography gear to make money...it's a hobby. So...enjoy it.

Jun 19, 2016 at 03:54 PM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · These worth much?

and you could always use KEH as a guide to what the value of those items are.

Jun 19, 2016 at 04:27 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · These worth much?

I have an Argus Model AF dating to the 1930's that was used by my friend's father back in the day. Same with the Petri "Color Corrected Super" that he owned. They are keepsakes to me. Even came across one of these.
https://tinyurl.com/zacvo8s

Jun 19, 2016 at 05:26 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.