Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       end

Archive 2016 · For Landscape (f8-11) is 24-70 II really better than f4 IS?

jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · For Landscape (f8-11) is 24-70 II really better than f4 IS?

Danish2006 wrote:
...The only people who notice these differences are the most demanding customers, what percentage of clients is that?

I am my most demanding customer.

Jun 24, 2016 at 04:34 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · For Landscape (f8-11) is 24-70 II really better than f4 IS?

jcolwell wrote:

Jim, you are exactly right. People don't get to see any of my work until it passes my standards.

Jun 24, 2016 at 07:08 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · For Landscape (f8-11) is 24-70 II really better than f4 IS?

jcolwell wrote:

Same here... although I am continually surprised at what clients consider good... like the tiny crop from a 50D image (and autofocusing on a moving subject with a 500mm f4L and 2x extender attached, no less...) that was used for a two-page spread in a prestigious publication recently - or the scanned 35mm slide (hand-held snapshot) enlarged to 8 x 10 feet for museum display.

In both cases I was really glad the client didn't take my initial "no" for an answer.

Jun 24, 2016 at 11:56 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · For Landscape (f8-11) is 24-70 II really better than f4 IS?

I realize that your thread is about landscape and f/4.
I only own 2 zooms, the 70-200 f/2.8 II and 24-70. As a photojournalist, the 24-70 is, IMHO, MY best indoor lens.
Tack sharp on all my Canon bodies.
Now as a landscape shooter also....I think the IQ of this lens is just about perfect versus a prime.
Dan

Jun 26, 2016 at 09:22 AM
J Williams
• • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · For Landscape (f8-11) is 24-70 II really better than f4 IS?

I quite often zoom with my feet and it works for me. Just because it doesn't work for someone does not mean it is not used successfully by others. There are many ways to skin a cat...thinking your way is always best is being very short sighted. When I go out looking for an image, I have a lens in mind and find the compositions by positioning using my feet so as to achieve my vision with that lens. Works for me...don't need to use a zoom as I look for compositions that fit a certain lens field of view. Others may approach a scene with no vision in mind and use the zoom to create one. Whatever floats your boat and works for you.

Just curious how the zoom with your feet works when you are standing at the edge of a cliff?

Seriously sometimes you only have limited shooting positions you can get to as just referenced.

Aug 02, 2016 at 11:21 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · For Landscape (f8-11) is 24-70 II really better than f4 IS?

J Williams wrote:
I quite often zoom with my feet and it works for me. Just because it doesn't work for someone does not mean it is not used successfully by others. There are many ways to skin a cat...thinking your way is always best is being very short sighted. When I go out looking for an image, I have a lens in mind and find the compositions by positioning using my feet so as to achieve my vision with that lens. Works for me...don't need to use a zoom as I look for compositions that fit a certain lens field of

Just curious how the zoom with your feet works when you are standing at the edge of a cliff?

Seriously sometimes you only have limited shooting positions you can get to as just referenced.
...Show more

Sure, you can pull extreme cases out of the hat and in those extreme cases I will use a zoom if one of my primes won't do. I've hiked the Rockies extensively using cameras from 4x5 to medium format to DSLR's and I can only think of a very few cases where I did not have the right prime with me.

If a 24mm is too wide, change to a 28mm or 35mm and adjust position accordingly.

Aug 02, 2016 at 01:06 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · For Landscape (f8-11) is 24-70 II really better than f4 IS?

chez wrote:
I've hiked the Rockies extensively using cameras from 4x5 to medium format to DSLR's and I can only think of a very few cases where I did not have the right prime with me.

Not many zoom lenses available for 4x5 anyway...

Aug 02, 2016 at 01:31 PM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.