Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Tracking stats for players

thebmrust
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Tracking stats for players

Do you track the game/performance stats of anyone you cover?

Does it affect how you cover a game if you know there is a high performer?

note: for us, we have 12 high schools (8 large & 4 small) and all sports.

Jun 17, 2016 at 05:26 PM
innaeddy1
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Tracking stats for players

While I dont think you have to know the stats of the players, I think you need to know who are the key players, This goes along with know the sport/teams that you cover, do they pass/run more often, which side of the field do they favor, is the pitcher a submarine thrower, how high is the leg kick, what does a certain batter do before swinging, etc..... the more you know of the team and players the better your photos will be................so no I dont follow stats but I study up on a team that I will be covering if I dont know about them

Andy

Jun 17, 2016 at 08:37 PM
thebmrust
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Tracking stats for players

How would you know some of those things unless you regularly watch or scout them?

Jun 17, 2016 at 10:56 PM
innaeddy1
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Tracking stats for players

you asked do I\you track performance or stats. I said no to stats, but I will look at a new team to try and find out what they do............

for instance, I cover the U of TN vols football, I know who their top players are and I usually have 6 to 7 games to get many images of them along with the up and comers, I couldnt tell you 1 stat from any of the players, but I can tell you whom is likely to get the ball and where its going to happen, I have many games to figure out how they play,,,,but what about the visiting team? lets take OU for instance... they came to Knoxville last year, I didnt know anything about them, so I done some reading on who their studs were, and focused on them, a lot can be learned in a few min of a game if they like to run/pass etc,,,,,,,a lot of times I will search the team photographer and ask them, who should I be shooting?

for local HS football I know almost all the coaches and how they play, I also know a lot of the kids and who is the top players on the team

another example of baseball........ local HS kid just selected in the MLB draft, when his team was playing a team I was covering I asked the coach does he bat L/R what position he plays etc...... after his first at bat I noticed he picks his front leg up before a swing, also he was super fast as I was told from the coach, so I guessed he would be stealing a lot, and he did, everytime he was on base, so I knew I could get a good shot of him, or the catcher making the throw down.....

so all in all, no I dont look at stats, and if any scouting is done most of it is done the day of mainly HS, and for college etc I will try and find out what style of play they do

Andy

Jun 18, 2016 at 12:19 AM
thebmrust
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Tracking stats for players

Ok fair enough. So YOU per se, don't track the stats but it sounds like in essence you use stats and use others who track stats/performance to identify key players.

Jun 18, 2016 at 02:43 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.