New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Loving the new tech

robsuh
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Loving the new tech

I've been a long time Canon shooter. FF & crop. Digital Rebel, 20d, etc up to recently 7D and 5D2. The 5D2 which I was shooting until last year. Picked up an 80D and wanted to highlight some of new tech which has really enjoyable.

Auto ISO with bias for faster shutter speed
Group AF that is set independently for vertical and horizontal shooting
Dual pixel AF with face tracking when in live view
Auto Lighting Optimizer (Low) for helping to nail exposure for back lit subjects.
Better AWB
Better metering. Not rocking exposure comp as often. Probably combined with ALO.
Anti flicker
Nano USM for noiseless AF during video

Granted, this is for matching my style of shooting recently, which is dominated by pictures of my kids.
I haven't upgraded Lightroom yet, so it is mostly in regards to jpegs.

Just getting a lot of in focus shots compared to the 5D2.

Always loved the Canon colors and missed it a lot with my Sony gear.

Recent straight out of camera small jpeg with kit lens (18-135)
https://photos.smugmug.com/2016-June-16/n-X3pzjm/i-tSfQqQ5/0/X2/i-tSfQqQ5-X2.jpg

Great time to get into DSLRs. Pretty amazing the tech you can get for $1200 these days. I remember spending $1k for the first Digital Rebel and $3k for a used 1ds2.

Jun 17, 2016 at 03:50 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Loving the new tech

ALO is only for jpeg output and does nothing to the actual image exposure.
I'm not sure what is meant by higher shutter speed bias in auto ISO mode. Can't you control it how you like?
Shoot RAW and jpegs and work on the RAW files later.
You can also use DPP for basic conversions and do further PP down the line.

EBH

Jun 17, 2016 at 04:01 PM
robsuh
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Loving the new tech

EB-1 wrote:
ALO is only for jpeg output and does nothing to the actual image exposure.
I'm not sure what is meant by higher shutter speed bias in auto ISO mode. Can't you control it how you like?
Shoot RAW and jpegs and work on the RAW files later.
You can also use DPP for basic conversions and do further PP down the line.

EBH

Thanks EB-1. Yes, I do shoot RAW+jpeg, but have only been playing with the jpegs so far. I plan on upgrading the Lightroom6 soon, so I can play with RAWs then.

So, ALO is a useful feature for me.

In terms of Auto ISO there is a settings for Min. shutter Spd. This can be set to Auto and from there there is an option to set it from -3, -2, -1, 0, 1, 2, 3. Zero being the default. I have it set to 2, so I can get a faster shutter but higher ISO of course.

Jun 17, 2016 at 04:09 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Loving the new tech

I especially like being able to tie Auto ISO minimum AF speed to some multiple of focal length. Wish my 5D3 had that. I also like adjusting ISO on the fly with a combination of the Set button and front dial. My 5D3 does have that.

Jun 17, 2016 at 06:28 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Loving the new tech

Yes, and ISO 1600 is dad burn amazing for APS-C (your flower image). I recall avoiding ISO 800 on my 40D/50D/SL1/7D and Olympus Pen because it was so gritty.

As for RAW on the 80D, the latest DPP actually works great for global adjustments and can be set to open the converted image in PS if you need further tweaks. I'm trying to avoid LR. Sadly, Apple is really slow at adding OS support for the 80D. It's been two months so no Aperture/iPhoto/Photos support unless you want to use the DXo Photos plugin.

Jun 17, 2016 at 07:53 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Loving the new tech

Gochugogi wrote:
Yes, and ISO 1600 is dad burn amazing for APS-C (your flower image). I recall avoiding ISO 800 on my 40D/50D/SL1/7D and Olympus Pen because it was so gritty.

+1 @ 70D was too gritty for me, back it went.

The 80D looks pretty good here @ 1600.

Jun 17, 2016 at 08:20 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.