New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · D3s sensor...

Elijah
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D3s sensor...

Has anyone had this problem with any of their sensors? I've been meaning to ask for a while now but never did...

Jun 17, 2016 at 03:43 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D3s sensor...

Looks like an unbalanced/failing ADC channel from the sensor. Notice how it's periodic and evenly spaced - that's the arrangement of a single channel from the multi-channel external ADC. I see this posted a few times a year. Will likely require a complete sensor complex replacement because Nikon doesn't usually service individual sensor components separately.

Jun 17, 2016 at 03:46 PM
Elijah
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D3s sensor...

snapsy wrote:
Looks like an unbalanced/failing ADC channel from the sensor. Notice how it's periodic and evenly spaced - that's the arrangement of a single channel from the multi-channel external ADC. I see this posted a few times a year. Will likely require a complete sensor complex replacement because Nikon doesn't usually service individual sensor components separately.

It doesn't happen all the time... Only a few images out of the whole batch will have it...

Jun 17, 2016 at 03:52 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D3s sensor...

Elijah wrote:
It doesn't happen all the time... Only a few images out of the whole batch will have it...

Check to see if it happens mostly at intermediate ISOs (values between full stops).

Jun 17, 2016 at 04:08 PM
hmzimelka
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D3s sensor...

Yeah, it's the ADC. I've had something similar happen on my D700, which warranted a ADC replacement after a calibration didn't improve on the lines much. After the the replacement, Nikon and myself were still not happy, which then resulted in a sensor replacement. For some reason, I've come across this more on D3S bodies than D3 or D700.

These lines were one of the biggest gripes of my D700, although, mine weren't intermittent and not as visible. But it's the same 12 pixel interval lines inherent in the D3, D3s and D700 sensors. By looks of it though, your camera's ADC might be failing.

As mentioned, the sensor channels are read are evenly spaced at around 12 pixels. I noted some of these pattern noise lines (subtle) even in the official Nikon D3s samples. Some cameras were perfect, some not well calibrated. See the Nikon sample bellow...

Nikon D3s Sample image: Eagle

Jun 18, 2016 at 01:28 AM
johan165

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D3s sensor...

Elijah, see this thread:

http://photo.net/nikon-camera-forum/00bzQZ?start=40

That solved my d3s... :-)

Jun 18, 2016 at 07:25 AM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D3s sensor...

hmm... i need to see if my cameras have the same issues.

Jun 18, 2016 at 08:10 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.