New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Touching the Ivories

jyl11002

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Touching the Ivories

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7351/27646428291_f7bf1dba57_h.jpg

Pretty new on here and haven't messed with my photography equipment in a long time and decided I'd try my hand at it again.
Taken with a 50mm 1.8 on a Canon 7D.
Any suggestions/comments/criticisms would be greatly appreciated!

(If you think I need to find a better hand model, that may definitely be true as I used my own )

Thanks!

Jun 16, 2016 at 11:13 PM
beanpkk
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Touching the Ivories

Interesting image. It would be easier to look at here if you made it a little smaller, say 1024 or 800 pixels wide. I have to scroll to see the whole thing.

If you are a piano player it might be better to actually be pressing keys rather than laying your fingers onto them.
A little more depth of field would really help....the big area at the left seems like a lot of negative space which may not be so negative if it were in better focus? The fingers are also pretty far up the keys, not generally a normal way to play.

Just my two cents.
keith

Jun 17, 2016 at 06:33 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Touching the Ivories

Welcome to the PC Forum and FM.
FM ROCKS !!!

Much goodness in this. I really, really enjoy the processing. My points for consideration would be the point of focus @ I'm wondering if it might be closer to where the fingers interact with the keys. That, and I'm not sure about the thumb @ 1/2 vs. all vs. none. +1 @ some of Keith's points (I'm not a piano player, so I couldn't know) including neg space / crop options / format.

Even still, though those are nits (welcome to the land of nits ), and I find this to be a lovely evocation.

The thing here is that when things are really nice, the attention turns to the tiniest of things that may tweak it one way or another. Or ... just sit back and enjoy it.

Now that I've mentioned my tiny things ... time to sit back and enjoy and see where this one goes.. Definitely would look lovely on a wall.

Very nice introduction to PC and your return to our beloved craft.

Again, welcome to the PC Forum.

Bring on the pics !!!

Jun 17, 2016 at 06:35 AM
jyl11002

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Touching the Ivories

@keith, I do play the piano, but trying to take this picture while playing it seems I forgot some things. 😂 Oh and sorry about the size, I'll keep this in mind for other uploads. I'll see what I can get with more depth of field and better focus. Thanks for the thoughts!

@rustybug, I'm not too sure how to get my focus better because I'm kind of shooting blind. Imagine having your hand on the piano then using your other arm to stretch way out so that you can shoot without filling the entire screen with your ugly hand. But I shall endeavour to do better! Thanks for your comments and feedback!

Jun 17, 2016 at 07:33 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Touching the Ivories

Welcome to forum!

This is nice! I agree that a deeper DOF would improve but I wouldn't go too deep because you might loose the warm softness that makes this image very appealing to me.

As for how you could easily set this up. Use a tripod and just pre-focus on something like an stuffed toy setting where your hand would be. Use this toy to take a few shots to dial in your desired DOF and exposure then set the camera to a 10 second delay to give yourself time to get into place. Might take a couple of test snaps but it's very easy to do.

I pulled off a shot once shooting my 44 mag in the dark completely by myself. Ya wanna talk about a circus show. Thankfully my neighbors never saw me out there for over an hour trying to get it right.

Again, welcome back and to PC! Looking forward to more!

Dave

Jun 17, 2016 at 08:44 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Touching the Ivories

Welcome to the forum. Lots of variety here, and you will get excellent advice. I mostly do landscapes and am slow to comment on other styles just because of lack of confidence. So I will let the other comments carry the day.

Jun 17, 2016 at 08:59 AM
beanpkk
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Touching the Ivories

jyl11002 wrote:
@keith@, I do play the piano, but trying to take this picture while playing it seems I forgot some things. 😂 Oh and sorry about the size, I'll keep this in mind for other uploads. I'll see what I can get with more depth of field and better focus. Thanks for the thoughts!

Next time send some audio so we can hear you play! :-) I play too but probably not as well as you do. +1 on the tripod and pre-focus ideas. Thanks for posting and looking forward to more images.

keith

Jun 17, 2016 at 10:31 AM
jyl11002

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Touching the Ivories

I suppose I should mention I haven't gotten around to getting a tripod yet. Haha. I agree with you all that a tripod is there way to go here. Definitely high on my list of equipment to get. Thanks for all the words of welcome and I hope to get more stuff up soon

Jun 17, 2016 at 11:16 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Touching the Ivories

Not much to add to everyone else other than WELCOME to FM!

Great place to learn and share.

Cheers!

Jeff

Jun 17, 2016 at 11:49 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Touching the Ivories

Gotcha @ critical focus of self-portrait ... difficulty factor just raised the bar on this one.

Btw ... disagree @ ugly hand

Jun 17, 2016 at 01:27 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Touching the Ivories

Another welcome.
Nice choice for BW
Agree about a bit more DOF.
Scott

Jun 17, 2016 at 07:43 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.