Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Upgrading from a 70D, 6D or 5D MK III?

MelanieR

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Upgrading from a 70D, 6D or 5D MK III?

Hello everyone. I want to upgrade my Canon 70D as now I'm looking to take my work to the next level. I want to go full frame but am having a hard time deciding between the 6D and the 5d Mark III. Searching the forums here and browsing the net it's about a $500-$700 price difference ATM between the two. Even though I could save money with the 6D, price is not a huge factor for me because I have been saving money to make the switch to full frame. I shoot mainly people. I do engagements, infant, & family shoots. As well as some fashion/editorial hobby type stuff for small online websites etc. I've looked at features and compared the two but need some help and personal insight from people who own either. And is there really any big image quality difference between the two? l will be buying 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.4, & maybe the 70-200mm 2.8 as far as good glass

Edited on Jun 16, 2016 at 12:59 PM · View previous versions

Jun 16, 2016 at 12:37 PM
dhphoto
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Upgrading from a 70D, 6D or 5D MK III?

There are dozens of threads on this but here we go.

I have both and the IQ is essentially the same up to about 1600 ISO, where the 6D pulls ahead comfortably and has astonishing high ISO performance.

But the 5D3 is comfortably the better camera with pro features like in-camera backup, weathersealing and a much more sophisticated focusing system. The 6D has wifi and GPS which some like but I never use.

Many disagree but personally I think the 5D3 is a much better camera and would do everything you need brilliantly

Jun 16, 2016 at 12:49 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Upgrading from a 70D, 6D or 5D MK III?

With your subject matter and all your fast glass, the off center focus points on the 5D3 really make a difference. Having had a 5D, 5D2 limited to center point focusing, I really love being able to move the joystick around on the fly without leaving the viewfinder on my 5D3. Focus and recompose was no fun for many obvious reasons.

Although the 6D does have modestly better high ISO performance, it isn't that big a deal compared to quickly acquiring off center focus with fast (or any) glass. If money is not an issue, I'd get the 5D3 for certain. If you had different subjects where high ISO was paramount over auto focus features, I might have suggested the 6D instead.

David

Jun 16, 2016 at 01:01 PM
M. Best
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Upgrading from a 70D, 6D or 5D MK III?

Easy. If you NEED the extra stuff a 5D3 has, get that one. If you don't, get a 6D. If you decide on the 5D3 and don't mind waiting a couple months, the 5D4(or whatever it's called) should be announced and drive down the prices of the 5D3.

Jun 16, 2016 at 01:02 PM
Max_Pain
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Upgrading from a 70D, 6D or 5D MK III?

I went from a 70D to a 6D and I'm very satisfied with the image quality. However, the AF system really leaves much to be desired. I also find myself wishing for larger files. So if I could, I think I would go with a 5DsR. You said price was not an issue - look at that one. Otherwise I would suggest the 5D III for most uses.

Jun 16, 2016 at 01:50 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.