New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Zeiss Wide Angles

tigha45

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Zeiss Wide Angles

I'm looking to get a moderate wide angle for a Canon 6D. The only other lens I'd have is a 50mm f/1.4 ZE, which is a bit long indoors for me. I also have a 100mm macro non-IS, but I would have to sell it to fund the wide angle. My main focus for this lens will be video work, typically not much closer than 1-2m from the lens. Obviously I'm not necessarily looking for peak optical quality since I got the 50 1.4 (and the lens will often be stopped down anyway), but I'm looking for a lens that will give me the most flexibility in terms its behavior in different situations. The main "weaknesses" of the 50 1.4 are close up performance, wide open dreaminess, and sometimes nervous bokeh. I was initially looking at the 35mm f/2 ZE, which optically seems to be a nice counterpoint to the 50, however, I feel like its focal length is a little too close. Another option I have found at this price range (~$550) is the 25mm f/2.8 ZF with a Leitax adapter, but it seems to have similar weaknesses to the 50 especially in terms of close up performance. At what distance does the close up performance of the lens noticeably begin to affect image quality? Also, is this mostly due to field curvature, or are there other notable sources of degeneration?

The 35mm will be wide enough for me indoors, but it is kind of borderline as it's still a little longer than I'd like. I feel like the 25mm would be a better choice despite its shortcomings because the focal length is simply better suited for my purposes. However, I'm wondering if there are perhaps alternatives around this focal length that might perform more similarly to the 35mm. I've also looked at the 25mm f/2 and 28mm f/2, but they are about $300 more expensive used, which is basically half the cost of the macro lens I'm saving for. I've only mentioned Zeiss lenses (rather than Canon, etc.) because I like them for video work, but I'm definitely open to other suggestions.

Also, I'm thinking about getting an EG-S focus screen, but I've heard mixed opinions on how much it actually helps with these lenses especially because of the focus shift of the 50 1.4, for example, when stopped down. Also, since the 50 is rather hazy wide open, which can somewhat mask misfocusing, I'm wondering how much benefit this would actually have especially since the other lenses I'm considering won't have quite as shallow a depth of field. I mostly use Live View, but it's not great for when I'm shooting handheld.

I really appreciate any insight!

Jun 16, 2016 at 03:29 AM
tunisia
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Zeiss Wide Angles

As you've mentioned the zeiss 28 f/2 already, you might want to check out this article by Ming:

https://blog.mingthein.com/2012/07/19/zf28distagon/

I like it very much, but as stated above it has its flaws as well as a quite unique character. It depends on what you ultimately are looking for.

Jun 16, 2016 at 05:25 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Zeiss Wide Angles

I think the ZE 28 f/2 could be a good choice in your situation.

Jun 16, 2016 at 06:32 AM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Zeiss Wide Angles

I use ZE 18/3.5, 25/2, 35/2, 50/2, and 100/2 lenses, mostly for scenic photography at around f/8 and infinity focus. In this situation, the 25/2 is a star, having better IQ than the Canon TS-E 24/3.5L II (centred) and EF 16-35/4L IS. I'm really not familiar with its performance near MFD.

The SMCP 28/2 (a.k.a. Hollywood north, or Vancouver), and Olympus 28/2 both have floating elements for optimized performance at close range (MFD 0.25 m and 0.3 m, respectively). I own the SMCP 28/2, and it is excellent across the board. Unlike most other Pentax glass, it has relatively high contrast and colour saturation, and is very compatible with the Zeiss look; it is the same optical design as the CZ 28/2 CY, a.k.a. "Hollywood". You night find one in [E] condition for about $550, but most of them cost more than that ($550 to $800). I haven't owned the (very small) Oly 28/2, but I expect that it will have relatively low contrast and colour saturation relative to Zeiss, like the many other Oly lenses that I have owned. OTOH, at $200 to $300, the Oly 28/2 is relatively affordable.

Jun 16, 2016 at 07:01 AM
Conner999
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Zeiss Wide Angles

Big fan of the 25/2 - fantastic glass (on D800e). Performance near MFD is stellar.

Jun 16, 2016 at 08:03 AM
lbloom
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Zeiss Wide Angles

Another fan of the rendering of the 28/2.

Jun 16, 2016 at 12:29 PM
tigha45

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Zeiss Wide Angles

I'm thinking I may just go with the 25/2.8, but I'm still not sure. The 25/2.8 is the most optically flawed, but it does have the best maximum magnification, and the field curvature is not always a bad attribute. It also is much more manageable for my budget. The 25/2 seems to be the most modern and corrected of the three, with the 28/2 straddling the line, with good close up optical performance, but sharing the substantial field curvature of the 25/2.8. The 28/2 does seem like the ideal option if I can manage to stretch my budget. I feel like the imperfections could be particularly useful for my video work, but without as many drawbacks as the 25/2.8. Haha, I have a lot to think about. Anyway, thanks for the replies so far!

Jun 17, 2016 at 01:24 AM
phuang3
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Zeiss Wide Angles

I found 25/2 is excellent at MFD. This shot is from a gift I gave to my wife recently. The center is quite sharp, almost on par with 50/2 MP. However, it was taken at f/11.

http://kspqm.kymco.com/ckfinder/resource/johnny/image/KitchenAids.jpg

100% center

http://kspqm.kymco.com/ckfinder/resource/johnny/image/KitchenAid.jpg

Jun 17, 2016 at 03:25 AM
tigha45

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Zeiss Wide Angles

After thinking about it for a bit, I think I'll stretch for the 25/2 and keep my current macro lens, so that I won't be pressed to save more for a replacement. The macro autofocus is starting to squeak when focus hunting, which is why I was thinking of selling it. I probably wouldn't get great value for it, though, so I think it makes more sense to just keep it and just use manual focus when it breaks. The 25/2 looks great for mid to near distances, which will be perfect for my intended use. The copy I wanted is already sold, though. >.< Guess I'll have to wait a bit for another good copy. Thanks again for all the responses!

Jun 21, 2016 at 04:38 PM
sandycrane
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Zeiss Wide Angles

The Nikkor 28/2.8 AIs is one of Nikon's best designs and is optimized for close distance.

Jun 23, 2016 at 06:58 AM
musashi808

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Zeiss Wide Angles

I recently bought a Zeiss ZF.2 25 f2.8 and really enjoy it. I was using a Nikon 24 2.8 D and 28 2.0 AIS previously. Although I really like the nikons, its hard to beat the deep colors and contrast of the Zeiss. The 25 is pretty consistent even wide open. I've heard the 25 f2 is awesome - but I've never used one and can't comment on the differences between the two versions.

Jun 23, 2016 at 10:22 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.