New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2016 · D500: XQD card vs SD card

Douglas L
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D500: XQD card vs SD card

Sorry, it's another one of those threads. According to this site: http://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/nikon-d500/sd-and-xqd-card-speed-test/, the SanDisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s SD card can do 85 shots continuously in the D500 in raw. I have a D500 but am still waiting for the Sony XQD card from B&H. For folks who use the XQD card in the D500, have you actually shot 200 shots continuously? It seems to me 85 is more than plenty. I know more is better and everyone has different needs, but the 64GB XQD card is 3 times the price of the 64GB SD. Since I don't use the SD slot as backup, I am beginning to wonder if I would do fine with the 95MB/s SD cards.

Please enlighten me. Thank you.

Douglas

Edited on Jun 15, 2016 at 09:26 PM · View previous versions

Jun 15, 2016 at 09:04 PM
Hrow
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D500: XQD card vs SD card

The big deal to me is how fast the buffer clears. After the D800 it is fun just watching it - always brings a smile.

Seriously though... Whether I ever shot 200 straight frames or not the XQD just seems MUCH faster though I think its major use will be for folks doing video.

Jun 15, 2016 at 09:20 PM
LivLif
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D500: XQD card vs SD card

For me it's how fast the buffer clears and the download speed of e XQD cards. It amazes me every single time. It's that fast.

Jun 15, 2016 at 09:53 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D500: XQD card vs SD card

The test at that website is not a number before it hits the buffer. It is the number of shots in 30seconds.

The Sandisk 95Mb/s card gets about 45 shots before the FPS slows (according to Steve Perry's D500 review). I've been using that same card as I don't have a XQD card yet. I haven't hit the buffer and I haven't tested if it is 45 shots but I trust Steve.

Personally, I'd be happy with 45 RAW buffer and wish the camera had 2 SD slots instead of the XQD. I like to shoot to two cards as a backup so I will have to spend the money on an XQD card.

The internal buffer of the D500 always reads 29 shots so I think you can get 29 shots no matter how slow a card you use. I plan to test this soon with some old 600x Transcend SD cards.

XQD is there for the video as far as I can tell. I think if you use one of the UHS-II 2000x Lexar SD cards I've read it is somewhere around 70-80 shots before the FPS slows. I think that would have been enough for any still shooter and we wouldn't have to mix cards. But it is what it is so an XQD card is in my future.

Jun 15, 2016 at 10:10 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D500: XQD card vs SD card

this will answer your questions and the differences:

No XQD is not there for the video only. its there for maximized performance overall.

for years there were the screams of anguish for the camera with the infinite buffer. essentially here you have it with an XQD card. so now there will be those who will settle for less. a 64GB 2933x Lexar XQD card costs $99 and that is 1300+ raw images per card and this is something to complain about?

use it with a SD card as the primary and you reduce its potential performance by a fair bit.

Edited on Jun 16, 2016 at 10:20 AM · View previous versions

Jun 15, 2016 at 10:57 PM
Douglas L
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D500: XQD card vs SD card

Thank you guys.

Jun 16, 2016 at 06:51 AM
morrismike
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D500: XQD card vs SD card

kdrk888 wrote:
Sorry, it's another one of those threads. According to this site: http://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/nikon-d500/sd-and-xqd-card-speed-test/, the SanDisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s SD card can do 85 shots continuously in the D500 in raw. I have a D500 but am still waiting for the Sony XQD card from B&H. For folks who use the XQD card in the D500, have you actually shot 200 shots continuously? It seems to me 85 is more than plenty. I know more is better and everyone has different needs, but the 64GB XQD card is 3 times the price of the 64GB SD. Since I don't use the SD
...Show more

funny story...
Somehow I managed to select SD only and only figured it out at the end of the day when the big card was empty. Had I been burying the button taking 50 shots at a time I would have figured it out. I have a suspicion that Nikon has severely handicapped (with firmware) the cameras capabilities with either chip. The 10fps and 200 shot buffer limit is purely artificial and not a limitation of the big chip. I feel it is the same for the small chip.

Jun 16, 2016 at 04:28 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D500: XQD card vs SD card

Even when you hit 200 shots, you can just reset the shutter button, and it will keep going and going (at least the one I played with did). Basically you have an unlimited buffer in 14bit RAW which is pretty cool.

Jun 16, 2016 at 05:07 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D500: XQD card vs SD card

The 200 shot buffer is just a setting in the camera to prevent it from accidently being pressed down in your bag and going on forever. You can set the limit lower than 200 but not higher in the menu. I just don't see the need to hold down a shutter for 20secs at a time but if you do need to do that then I guess the XQD is worth it.

I'd be more happy with 2 XQD (compared to mixed slots) so then I can shoot backup and not be compromised to the SD speed anyways. Two SD would have been my ideal scenario as getting 70-80 shots with a UHS-II card would have been plenty. Now I need to buy an XQD and I will still be limited to the speed of the SD if I choose to run a backup.

That is just the way I see it. I feel camera manufactures should make dual slots the same no matter what what type of slot they choose. The 5D3 is severely compromised in this respect, the 5DS is somewhat compromised and the 1DX2 is compromised if one wants to shoot mirrored. Cameras like the 1DX and D5 are the way to go IMHO.

Jun 16, 2016 at 05:13 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D500: XQD card vs SD card

Eventually heat would be an issue. How much current is being pulled from the battery at the continuous rate?

EBH

Jun 16, 2016 at 06:44 PM
Woodyg3
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D500: XQD card vs SD card

XQD cards are only a little more expensive than UHS-II SD cards at this time. They are sure built in a much more solid fashion, too. Just be glad that we aren't looking at CFast cards, they are WAY more expensive.

I, too, wish that the D500 had two XQD slots. It just makes more sense for both performance and convenience.

Jun 17, 2016 at 10:00 AM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D500: XQD card vs SD card

they're (CFst) only way more expensive as their usage is limited at this time to high end product. I was an early adopter of XQD and it is work related so it didn't hurt as much as the enthusiast crowd felt it and dearly complained. the price of XQD was pretty distasteful less then 2 years ago only in the last 6 months the price did drop like a rock with the intro of the D5 dual XQD and the D500 the almost there but half way. I think Nikon is completely done with CF so any camera bodies that would perform better that had CF will be XQD.

the thing is that people have short term memories. every time a new high end CF card came out it was in the nose bleed territory in price. the first out of the gate with a retail purchase was generally an enthusiast. they tend to like more, bigger, better, cooler. I do take less then 650 shots on a assignment so 32GB is a good size. I have the 64GB (1300 potential headaches) cards for those special times. I rarely hit the overflow card.

Jun 17, 2016 at 10:11 AM
architect7
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · D500: XQD card vs SD card

I've hit the buffer limit a couple times photographing bald eagle dogfights as well as Mergansers chasing fish. The deep buffer is one of my favorite features of the camera, along with high ISO latitude and the already legendary AF performance. Plus, the resolution is a perfect match for my 500mm f4D AF-S II, I have never used a sharper camera/lens combo in my entire life with this level of reach.

Jun 18, 2016 at 12:37 AM
Douglas L
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · D500: XQD card vs SD card

^ good to know. I am going to the airshow today but my XQD card from B&H won't arrive until Monday. I think the 90MP/s SD card will be fine. I don't think I will need more than 30 shots continuously for airshow.

Jun 18, 2016 at 04:50 AM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · D500: XQD card vs SD card

kdrk888 wrote:
Sorry, it's another one of those threads. According to this site: http://www.cameramemoryspeed.com/nikon-d500/sd-and-xqd-card-speed-test/, the SanDisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s SD card can do 85 shots continuously in the D500 in raw. I have a D500 but am still waiting for the Sony XQD card from B&H. For folks who use the XQD card in the D500, have you actually shot 200 shots continuously? It seems to me 85 is more than plenty. I know more is better and everyone has different needs, but the 64GB XQD card is 3 times the price of the 64GB SD. Since I don't use the SD
...Show more

If the SD card works fine for you, then that's what counts. Don't buy a XQD card just because others say it's the future or feels faster. If the SD card is fine, then stick with it. At some point if you feel the need to use the XQD card, then buy it at that point, and hopefully by then they no longer cost 3x the price of an SD card.

SD cards have lot's of advantages, especially if traveling at all.

Jim

Jun 18, 2016 at 12:50 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · D500: XQD card vs SD card

JimFox wrote:
If the SD card works fine for you, then that's what counts. Don't buy a XQD card just because others say it's the future or feels faster. If the SD card is fine, then stick with it. At some point if you feel the need to use the XQD card, then buy it at that point, and hopefully by then they no longer cost 3x the price of an SD card.

SD cards have lot's of advantages, especially if traveling at all.

Jim

XQD doesn't feel faster it is demonstrably faster in both directions giving a boost to the overall performance of the camera itself. that is simply a fact. forget the future it is the present. if you are going to stick with SD at least get a UHS-II so it doesn't take so long to clear the buffer and your ready to shoot again. you purchased the camera for a relative performance increase why not use it as such. why cripple your high speed high performance camera body?

at $99/64GB card that is 3x as fast that holds about 1300+ raw images I'd buy it. wait in fact I have and in multiple.

both of these work with the Lexar cards too.

Jun 18, 2016 at 01:13 PM
Woodyg3
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · D500: XQD card vs SD card

Using just the SD card slot on the D500 is kinda' like putting snow tires on a Corvette...

I kid, I kid.

Jun 18, 2016 at 10:38 PM
sjms
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · D500: XQD card vs SD card

Woodyg3 wrote:
Using just the SD card slot on the D500 is kinda' like putting snow tires on a Corvette...

I kid, I kid.

not so much as you think.

Jun 19, 2016 at 08:05 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · D500: XQD card vs SD card

Woodyg3 wrote:

You mean it's mandatory in Quebec?

Jun 19, 2016 at 01:06 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · D500: XQD card vs SD card

sjms wrote:
the thing is that people have short term memories. every time a new high end CF card came out it was in the nose bleed territory in price.

I remember buying my first IBM 1GB microdrive... it was about C$500 at the time.

Jun 19, 2016 at 01:08 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.