2       3              5       6       end

Archive 2016 · DXO Sensor Review: Canon EOS 80D

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · DXO Sensor Review: Canon EOS 80D

DXO Sensor Review: Canon EOS 80D
DXOMark just posted their sensor review and lab tests for the Canon EOS 80D

"The Canon EOS 80D has improved low ISO noise and a more useful dynamic range at and close to base ISO over its siblings. However, class-leading sensors such as those found in the Sony a6300 and the Nikon D7200 still have more usable dynamic ranges, and that’s not just at base, but at high ISOs as well."

Read entire review at DXOMark.com

--------

Canon EOS 80D Camera (Body only)
B&H Photo, Adorama

Jun 15, 2016 at 05:41 PM
Jeff Nolten
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · DXO Sensor Review: Canon EOS 80D

I've been waiting for this review. Ok, so its better than the 70D I traded for it. But, looking at the DR graph they've given you more DR but its cost you above ISO 800. Just goes to prove everything is a tradeoff - and, you have to look at the graphs, not the scores. Nice camera, not complaining, although my 5D3 is still a keeper.

Jun 15, 2016 at 07:43 PM
digitalride

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · DXO Sensor Review: Canon EOS 80D

The scores seem useless or even misleading. Look at the signal to noise measurements chart which is used to determine ISO performance:

http://open-sense.com/temp/snr.png

But the Sports (High ISO) score for the 80D is 1135 vs. ~ 920 for the 70D and t6i. How can there be such a difference in score when the measurements look almost identical?

Jun 16, 2016 at 08:59 AM
artificialyello
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · DXO Sensor Review: Canon EOS 80D

The scores are not in yet for the D500 but the graphs are.

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Canon-EOS-80D-versus-Nikon-D500-versus-Canon-EOS-7D-Mark-II___1076_1061_977

Jun 16, 2016 at 09:20 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · DXO Sensor Review: Canon EOS 80D

The D500 is a brilliant camera - its only real flaw is that is has a Nikon lens mount.

Jun 16, 2016 at 09:33 AM
Iwas joeking
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · DXO Sensor Review: Canon EOS 80D

Yep, nothing we didn't already know. Canon's sensors can barely hold a candle to Nikon/Sony, but in the end, who cares? Either switch or don't worry about it.

Jun 16, 2016 at 09:35 AM
artificialyello
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · DXO Sensor Review: Canon EOS 80D

molson wrote:
The D500 is a brilliant camera - its only real flaw is that is has a Nikon lens mount.

If low ISO DR is your thing then it might even trump the D5!

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Nikon-D5-versus-Nikon-D500___1062_1061

Jun 16, 2016 at 09:38 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · DXO Sensor Review: Canon EOS 80D

artificialyello wrote:
If low ISO DR is your thing then it might even trump the D5!

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Nikon-D5-versus-Nikon-D500___1062_1061

Hi ISO performance is remarkable (for a crop sensor) too - I accidentally took a few photos at ISO 51,200 with my D500, and I was shocked at how good they looked.

Jun 16, 2016 at 09:43 AM
grog13
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · DXO Sensor Review: Canon EOS 80D

Iwas joeking wrote:
Yep, nothing we didn't already know. Canon's sensors can barely hold a candle to Nikon/Sony, but in the end, who cares? Either switch or don't worry about it.

I agree with the "who cares...switch or don't..." sentiment, but "barely hold a candle"? If you read DXO's explanations of their scores here: http://www.dxomark.com/About/Sensor-scores/Use-Case-Scores it looks like, by their own reckoning, the difference in the output of the 80D & D500 is "barely noticeable". FWIW

Jun 16, 2016 at 10:11 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · DXO Sensor Review: Canon EOS 80D

Iwas joeking wrote:
...barely hold a candle to...

hyperbole alert. ;-)

Thought experiment: Explain how the DXO scores are arrived at and what they actually measure.

Dan

Jun 16, 2016 at 10:21 AM
Iwas joeking
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · DXO Sensor Review: Canon EOS 80D

gdanmitchell wrote:
hyperbole alert. ;-)

Thought experiment: Explain how the DXO scores are arrived at and what they actually measure.

Dan

No alert needed, isn't that what "we" are supposed to believe from all the scores and talk of crappy Canon sensors? I'm not even sure why Canon shooters bother to take images, the 7D2 doesn't focus, lousy dynamic range on most of the cameras so forget landscape photography, even the mighty 1Dx2 is faulty.

Jun 16, 2016 at 10:33 AM
Schlotkins
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · DXO Sensor Review: Canon EOS 80D

artificialyello wrote:
The scores are not in yet for the D500 but the graphs are.

http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Canon-EOS-80D-versus-Nikon-D500-versus-Canon-EOS-7D-Mark-II___1076_1061_977

How did they get that much tonal range out of the D500? It destroys both the A7rII and the D810. I'm scared to see what Nikon can do with the latest Sony tech for the D900. I'm guessing close to 15.5-16 stops of DR. If only their lenses were as good as Canon's.

Chris

Jun 16, 2016 at 10:34 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · DXO Sensor Review: Canon EOS 80D

Schlotkins wrote:
How did they get that much tonal range out of the D500? It destroys both the A7rII and the D810.

Chris

It must be an error. It is not possible to have lower dynamic range and SNR, and at the same time higher tonal range. All those parameters are derived from the same measurement, the noise curves.

Jun 16, 2016 at 12:33 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · DXO Sensor Review: Canon EOS 80D

Schlotkins wrote:
How did they get that much tonal range out of the D500? It destroys both the A7rII and the D810. I'm scared to see what Nikon can do with the latest Sony tech for the D900. I'm guessing close to 15.5-16 stops of DR. If only their lenses were as good as Canon's.

Chris

Don't start to hyperventilate. There is a long history of DXO scores implying remarkable differences that don't play out in the real world.

Jun 16, 2016 at 02:23 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · DXO Sensor Review: Canon EOS 80D

Another set of DXO results followed by the usual crew down playing the results. Who needs more DR anyway...it's all overrated.

Jun 16, 2016 at 02:51 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · DXO Sensor Review: Canon EOS 80D

digitalride wrote:

The scores seem useless or even misleading. Look at the signal to noise measurements chart which is used to determine ISO performance:

http://open-sense.com/temp/snr.png

But the Sports (High ISO) score for the 80D is 1135 vs. ~ 920 for the 70D and t6i. How can there be such a difference in score when the measurements look almost identical?

Take note of the ISO relationship ... the 80D is performing at a lower ISO, i.e. requiring more light to be let in. Similar to the Sony lower actual ISO response = better noise response @ more light, despite the ISO number on the dial. Offset for the ISO diff, and you probably have much closer results. Toss an extra 1/3 - 2/3 stop of light or so at the 70D and t6i and it'll probably look more like the 80D at the low ISO end too. The diff may not be quite as dramatic at the higher ISO end, but the 80D is still "cheatin' to the left" a bit more than the other two ... thus influencing "the score".

Jun 16, 2016 at 05:10 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · DXO Sensor Review: Canon EOS 80D

Ain't it wonderful that a sensor is not the only thing needed to make a great photograph?

Jun 16, 2016 at 05:31 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · DXO Sensor Review: Canon EOS 80D

Imagemaster wrote:
Ain't it wonderful that a sensor is not the only thing needed to make a great photograph?

No, but I would argue it is a key component or we wouldn't all be discussing it. Never seen any discussions on the direct print buttons.

Jun 16, 2016 at 05:41 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · DXO Sensor Review: Canon EOS 80D

The main issue with DXO "scores" is that people don't really understand what they do and don't mean. They are a composite of a whole range of parameters, distilled down to single values that attempt to express something more complex than that which a single value can express.

In the end, DXO is not a good predictor of a single parameter such as, say, noise or DR or color or whatever.

Before taking the ratings to mean something they don't mean, go try to figure out what a typical DXO "score" actually represents. I think most people will be a bit surprised at what they discover.

Jun 16, 2016 at 05:45 PM
Sorbet
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · DXO Sensor Review: Canon EOS 80D

molson wrote:

There's also that flaw of the Nikon ergonomics. That diminishes its brilliance somewhat for me.

Jun 16, 2016 at 08:58 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.