New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2016 · Sigma Art vs Canon L primes

wt66

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Sigma Art vs Canon L primes

I'm switching over from sony, and i have both the 50mm Art and 35mm Art. Should I sell them to get the Canon lenses, or should I send them to sigma and pay $130 each for a mount conversion to Canon?

Jun 15, 2016 at 09:45 AM
bhollis
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Sigma Art vs Canon L primes

Personally, I think I'd just get the Sigmas converted over to Canon mount. Performance-wise, the Sigmas measure up quite well against their Canon counterparts. And even after selling the Sigmas, the price of upgrading to L glass would be quite steep.

In any event, you should probably read the various reviews of both the Sigmas and L's and decide for yourself whether any advantages the L's have over the Sigmas is worth the price of admission to you.

Jun 15, 2016 at 10:08 AM
markshelby
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Sigma Art vs Canon L primes

I have a couple Art lenses including the 50mm.

I find they are better optically than the Canon Ls, but heavier and slightly inferior in demanding focus situations (though still good).

Jun 15, 2016 at 11:03 AM
Langran
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Sigma Art vs Canon L primes

don't know how CPS works in Canada but the quick turn around times etc that are offered here in the UK if you meet Canon's gear requirements are well worth buying L series rather than Sigma for pros. Just something to think about if you do this for a living

Jun 15, 2016 at 11:46 AM
evertdoorn
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Sigma Art vs Canon L primes

Can't tell much about the 50, but the 35L II is better in terms of optics, built, focus and sealing, but heavier and of course much more expensive. Could you trade your versions with someone who wants to trade their canon mounts?

Jun 15, 2016 at 12:22 PM
darbo
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Sigma Art vs Canon L primes

In February I bought a Canon 35L II. It is insanely sharp and very well corrected against distortion/aberrations. BUT, I have not been loving it.

And, a few weeks ago, I ordered the Sigma 20mm f/1.4 Art and used it alongside my 35L II and you know what? My images with the Sigma absolutely wowed me. By contrast the 35L II just feels like one of those techie nerd guys that know all the answers but have zero personality. So, in spite of the technical superiority of the 35L II, I'm a little turned off by it right now.

Anyway, just writing this to suggest that maybe having Sigma switch them is the best way to go.

Jun 15, 2016 at 12:34 PM
therealthings
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Sigma Art vs Canon L primes

The only thing i dislike about the sigmas is the rendering of objects that are just behind the focal plane. (Nervous Bokeh) This is where canon scores better imho.

Jun 15, 2016 at 12:40 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Sigma Art vs Canon L primes

darbo wrote:
In February I bought a Canon 35L II. It is insanely sharp and very well corrected against distortion/aberrations. BUT, I have not been loving it.

And, a few weeks ago, I ordered the Sigma 20mm f/1.4 Art and used it alongside my 35L II and you know what? My images with the Sigma absolutely wowed me. By contrast the 35L II just feels like one of those techie nerd guys that know all the answers but have zero personality. So, in spite of the technical superiority of the 35L II, I'm a little turned off by it right now.

Anyway,
...Show more

Yeh. Sometimes clinically perfect can lead to boring images.

Jun 15, 2016 at 12:53 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Sigma Art vs Canon L primes

" Sometimes clinically perfect can lead to boring images."

But mostly it's boring photographers that lead to boring images. I have both the Sigma 50 ART and the new 35L and I love them both and they both seem to produce beautiful, exciting images.

Jun 15, 2016 at 01:06 PM
jasonpatrick
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Sigma Art vs Canon L primes

I have the Sigma 50mm art and the Sigma 85mm f/1.4. I prefer both of these lenses to their Canon counterparts. The Sig 50 is possibly the sharpest lens I've ever used outside of the 300mm f/2.8 IS II, and the Sigma 85 is faster and more consistent than the 85mm f/1.2 II in my experience.

Jun 15, 2016 at 01:13 PM
darbo
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Sigma Art vs Canon L primes

Peter Figen wrote:

But mostly it's boring photographers that lead to boring images. I have both the Sigma 50 ART and the new 35L and I love them both and they both seem to produce beautiful, exciting images.

Well, thank you for that (implying I am a "boring photographer"). I was commenting on my preference regarding the way the lens renders, not on the quality of photography I have been capturing with the 35L II.

Jun 15, 2016 at 01:19 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Sigma Art vs Canon L primes

Peter Figen wrote:

Thank you Mr. Obvious.

Jun 15, 2016 at 01:37 PM
Sir_Loin
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Sigma Art vs Canon L primes

darbo wrote:

Anyway,
...Show more

Bingo!! This is something I've been saying for a while. State of the art lenses that have reduced aberrations to a minimum and have insane sharpness can sometimes leave me cold.

I have 3 lenses that are considered to be the best in their class: 24-70 f/2.8L II, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II and 100mm f/2.8L Macro. Insanely sharp and are examples of optical engineering at its finest. But as good as they are, I sometimes find them too clinical. However, when I put my 24mm f/1.4L II, 50mm f/1.2L or 85mm f/1.2L II on my camera and shoot them wide or close to wide open, despite their faults, they produce images with far more character. I've learnt to use these 'faults' to create images that stand apart from the norm. People with this obsession that sharpest is best are wrong (IMHO) and they'll give themselves an ulcer if they carry on trying to count the individual hairs on a head taken with a 50mm lens from 50ft away and viewed at 100%!

Jun 15, 2016 at 01:54 PM
evertdoorn
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Sigma Art vs Canon L primes

I got the 35L II to replace the Sigma 35 (mostly due to the fact I've had to send the siggy back for repair twice and am not a fan of four weeks of repair time), but before I sold the sigma I did test it against the Canon. The rendering on the same type of scene wasn't really that much different. Yes the Canon's image is technically a bit better (in particular, less CA and better corner sharpness), but the difference in 'character' was to be honest virtually non-existent in my eyes. They are almost equal in center sharpness too if you ask me. But in the end I ended up with a lens that focusses better and can be serviced or repaired if needed with a turn around of 2 working days

Jun 15, 2016 at 02:30 PM
mb126
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Sigma Art vs Canon L primes

I've had most of the newer Sigma primes at one time or another. They all render decently, are sharp, and have fast AF. AF accuracy seems to be hit/miss and there are reasons at times to prefer the Sigma version of a lens to the L. For example, I loved the 50L but totally understand why someone might want the much sharper 50A.

Jun 15, 2016 at 02:33 PM
Peter Figen
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Sigma Art vs Canon L primes

"Thank you Mr. Obvious"

That's Captain Obvious to you Chez!

Jun 15, 2016 at 03:08 PM
RobDickinson
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Sigma Art vs Canon L primes

Have the 50 art.

Buying the 35L mk2.

Jun 15, 2016 at 08:16 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Sigma Art vs Canon L primes

Peter Figen wrote:

It's you who is producing the beautiful images.

EBH

Jun 15, 2016 at 09:31 PM
UCSB
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Sigma Art vs Canon L primes

Convert at least the 50A and give it a try. I have something like 22 Canon lenses and the one Sigma 50A. The 50A is one of my favorites on my 5DSR and 5DIII. I use it every chance I get. For the small conversion cost, I would probably just send them both in for conversion. Good luck.

Jun 15, 2016 at 11:04 PM
adrianb
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Sigma Art vs Canon L primes

darbo wrote:

Anyway,
...Show more

I don't get it how you can compare a 20mm to a 35mm...and even wonder how they're different..

Certain focal lengths require an adequate shooting style...

You're turned off by the 35L II simply because you are not able to take a decent photograph with a 35mm lens, not because that lens is lacking in any regard....

Now a lens has 'personality', next time i'll read here a lens has no 'sex appeal'

@op: you can get the Sigmas and enjoy shooting...

Jun 16, 2016 at 02:20 AM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.