New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Rocky Mountain National Park and Colorado Springs

JohnKS
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Rocky Mountain National Park and Colorado Springs

I'll be driving from Chicago to Estes Park, Colorado on June 24 arriving in Estes Park on the 25 and staying for 6 nights. From Estes we will travel to Colorado Springs for 3 nights. We have been to Rocky Mountain National Park 3 other times and Colorado Springs one other time. On this trip I would like to focus a little on my photography during our time in the park and in Colorado Springs.

I'm looking for suggestions on hiking trails that might offers some nice photographic opportunities. Are there any particular waterfalls that I should not miss? On one day we will travel from Estes to Grand Lake on Trail Ridge Road. Does anyone know of a particular lookout on Trail Ridge Road that would offer some nice night shot opportunities? I'm only interested in hiking trails with easy to moderate degrees of difficulty. My days of strenuous hikes are behind me. I'll shoot with my Canon 6D and bring along my 17-40, 24-105, and 100-400. I'll bring along my MeFoto Roadtripper tripod as well. I'll probably stop in at the visitor center in Estes Park to see if I can get any suggestions from the Rangers but I thought I'd ask on this forum as well.

In Colorado Springs I plan on spending some time in the Garden of the Gods. Can anyone make another suggestion for this town as well?

Thanks in advance for you time.

John

Jun 14, 2016 at 08:02 PM
Abbott Schindl
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Rocky Mountain National Park and Colorado Springs

In the Colorado Springs area, you might try:
- Calhan Paint Mines early or late in the day
- Red Rock Canyon
- Look for opportunities around Pikes Peak, such as hikes starting in Woodland Park (Peak's backside), or the hike up from Manitou Springs
- Depending on how the water levels are, Fountain Creek starting near downtown and going north beyond Woodmen Rd is easy hiking and used to have some nice photo opps, but I haven't been along it for several years.

Jun 15, 2016 at 04:17 AM
macentropist
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Rocky Mountain National Park and Colorado Springs

I would look to Cheyenne Canyon, Gold Camp Road, and Seven Springs in Colorado Springs, all, or most have moderate hiking trails, with some very nice vistas, and falls. A tougher trek might include a trip up the trails to top of Cheyenne Mountain, much rougher and some brief steep slogs, but very doable for this 60 year old coot. Do not forget a CPL filter, and i would be sure to bring a 3 stop ND, or even 6 stop ND filter for the falls.

If going to Garden of the Gods, i highly recommend being there at or before sunrise, the sunsets are non existent.

Woodland Park and Divide, Co. are on Highway 24 west of Colorado Springs, and are great places to be at sunset, and are fairly short road trips, especially if staying in the Manitou Springs area.

Have a great trip!

Jun 15, 2016 at 08:49 AM
wayneng
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Rocky Mountain National Park and Colorado Springs

I ran the same gauntlet as you a few weeks back except from Austin to Grand Lake - think the snow will be gone.

For relatively short hikes, I really liked the Bear Lake -> Nymph Lake -> Dream Lake -> Emerald Lake hike. Even when it was piled high with snow, it took us only 2-3 hours round trip with a lunch break (and no snow means no more slipping and falling). Lakes are probably finally defrosted now too.

Alberta falls is nice from Glacier Gorge (only a mile) but its a bit tight and there's a lot of people there.

On Trail Ridge Road, I really liked Medicine Bow Curve (next to the Alpine Visitor Center) - not sure what it would look like at night, but it's definitely breathtaking during the day and plenty of mountain and sky for the stars. Rainbow ridge and Many Curves Overlook aren't bad either with the valley below.

Jun 15, 2016 at 09:25 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Rocky Mountain National Park and Colorado Springs

I have been to RMNP twice, just recently this June and last summer.

For landscape photography I highly highly highly recommend Erik Stensland's inexpensive e-book on great landscape photography locations in the park. He has a nice online photo gallery as well which you should peruse. Many locations are very accessible and each is ranked and sorted for difficulty level.
http://imagesofrmnp.com/product/photographing-rmnp-ebook/

If you would benefit from a guided animal or landscape tour to take you places in the dark (and setup for sunrise/sunset) you might not otherwise attempt, I highly recommend Jared at Yellow Wood guiding.
http://www.ywguiding.com/
He is excellent and provided wildlife opportunities I would have otherwise missed. His schedule may be full now.

There are a lifetime of opportunities at RMNP for landscapes, but I'd say my favorite is trail ridge road for sunrise (some locations sunset). The classic turnouts like Forest Canyon Overlook and Gore Range Overlook offer great scenes and easy access to stay warm until you are ready for the shot. The morning glow on the snowy mountains is amazing.
I've always been tempted to take the Ute trail near the Alpine visitor center to a small pond that should be thawed by then. You can see it from the road. It has nice reflections, trees, and a view of the mountains in back. Maybe next time. I spent all my time looking for moose.

We hiked to a couple easy waterfalls this trip, but I'd say the Trail Ridge Road and other lake scenes draw much more interest to me.

We were there last week and the baby moose were only a few days old. I saw several and still processing the photos. Moose are plentiful along the Kawuneeche valley from sunrise to about 7:45am, then around 7:45am to sunset. Morning light is best. Have a tripod for low shutter speeds. The 100-400mm is a little short, but with a 1.4x extender you should be able to get some nice shots. Simply drive along the entire valley from Beaver Ponds all the way to the Grand Lake turnoff (exit) and scout every road that heads to the west.

Ptarmigan can be found if you hike along the snowy edge on the western portion of trail ridge road, but probably anywhere on the tundra. They key is you can walk on the snow from the overlooks, but not the tundra within 100 yards. Go in the am and be mindful of not hiking on the tundra. Binoculars help if they are still.

Feel free to PM me.

David

Jun 15, 2016 at 12:23 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Rocky Mountain National Park and Colorado Springs

wayneng wrote:
I ran the same gauntlet as you a few weeks back except from Austin to Grand Lake - think the snow will be gone.

For relatively short hikes, I really liked the Bear Lake -> Nymph Lake -> Dream Lake -> Emerald Lake hike. Even when it was piled high with snow, it took us only 2-3 hours round trip with a lunch break (and no snow means no more slipping and falling). Lakes are probably finally defrosted now too.

Alberta falls is nice from Glacier Gorge (only a mile) but its a bit tight and there's a lot of people
...Show more

Bear to Dream/Emerald lake is very nice. I recall they are sunrise locations. I've hiked up to Dream. Either way, you'd need to scout this out in advance in order to find your way there (or home) in the dark.

Alberta falls is nice, but I did not find it interesting for photography compared to Trail Ridge, nearby lakes, or moose.

Trail Ridge is breathtaking, literally and figuratively, any time of day but on a clear night the milky way is absolutely wonderful. I've been to the eastern portion (Forest Canyon) and city glow affects anything east of south. I'd go farther west for night shots to keep the city glow out of view and try for the milky way when it is more southwest. Although the summer time storms and clouds will clear overnight, it may often be too cloudy for a clear sky shot. A perfectly clear night is a lucky break. The Clear Sky Chart for beaver meadows is not representative of the trail ridge road area. I'd also check NOAA cloud cover predictions as well.

Jun 15, 2016 at 02:07 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Rocky Mountain National Park and Colorado Springs

6 days in RMNP seems like 4 days too many to me. I have been there hundreds of times, and to me, it's the least photogenic National Park there is. The problem I think is you end up just being in the mountains and to get clear shots of full peaks are really hard as they are all a long distance from the road and require a lot of hiking to get to and then hiking back for hours in the dark.

The San Juan Mountains are a million times better then the RMNP and offer so much more in spectacular mountain ranges, meadows, etc.

Don't get me wrong, RMNP is a nice place, with okay landscape compositions, maybe I am jaded. But just Google RMNP and you will see mostly bland shots, compositions that are very weak with few strong lines in them. Then Google the San Juan Mountains and see the difference.

Anyway, my 2 cents would be to spend a couple of days in RMNP then drive down to Colorado Springs for a day or two. And then head down to Ouray, Ridgway, Telluride and the San Juan Wilderness.

Jun 16, 2016 at 02:46 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Rocky Mountain National Park and Colorado Springs

JimFox wrote:
6 days in RMNP seems like 4 days too many to me. I have been there hundreds of times, and to me, it's the least photogenic National Park there is. The problem I think is you end up just being in the mountains and to get clear shots of full peaks are really hard as they are all a long distance from the road and require a lot of hiking to get to and then hiking back for hours in the dark.

The San Juan Mountains are a million times better then the RMNP and offer so much more in spectacular
...Show more

Well i guess for sideline shooters, this is probably true about RMNP. but from what i have seen and the stories I have heard from backpackers, it is SPECTACULAR.

Jun 16, 2016 at 02:40 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Rocky Mountain National Park and Colorado Springs

I certainly can see Jim's point of view but might suggest something a bit more in the middle given that you already have plans to tour RMNP.

Erik Stensland's e-book definitely shows that great great landscapes are to be had at RMPN. I don't have enough experience at RMNP and elsewhere to wholeheartedly shy you away from the area.
I think some areas will take a bit of a hike, but I don't mind a moderate hike for the overall experience. I used to backpack and hike long before I was into photography. It's just another way for me to enjoy nature.
The pine beetle certainly has made some scenes more difficult to appreciate.
If one is inclined to capture more than landscapes during a trip to RMNP, the abundant wildlife is a real treat. As a whole, I find RMNP quite pleasing.
Would RMNP be one of my top dream landscape destinations compared to places I have been and places I wish to visit? Well no, but I'm quite happy with my photography while I'm there.

David

Jun 16, 2016 at 03:16 PM
JohnKS
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Rocky Mountain National Park and Colorado Springs

Abbott Schindl wrote:
In the Colorado Springs area, you might try:
- Calhan Paint Mines early or late in the day
- Red Rock Canyon
- Look for opportunities around Pikes Peak, such as hikes starting in Woodland Park (Peak's backside), or the hike up from Manitou Springs
- Depending on how the water levels are, Fountain Creek starting near downtown and going north beyond Woodmen Rd is easy hiking and used to have some nice photo opps, but I haven't been along it for several years.

Abbott,

Thanks for your suggestions in Colorado Springs. I have already Googled the areas you have mentioned and the Paint Mines look interesting.

John

Jun 16, 2016 at 08:18 PM
JohnKS
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Rocky Mountain National Park and Colorado Springs

macentropist wrote:
I would look to Cheyenne Canyon, Gold Camp Road, and Seven Springs in Colorado Springs, all, or most have moderate hiking trails, with some very nice vistas, and falls. A tougher trek might include a trip up the trails to top of Cheyenne Mountain, much rougher and some brief steep slogs, but very doable for this 60 year old coot. Do not forget a CPL filter, and i would be sure to bring a 3 stop ND, or even 6 stop ND filter for the falls.

If going to Garden of the Gods, i highly recommend being there at or before
...Show more

macentropist,

Thanks for your suggestions and for the tip on the Garden of the Gods. We are actually staying in Manitou Springs and will not be far from the Garden. The CPL and ND filters are part of my travel kit.

John

---------------------------------------------

wayneng wrote:

Alberta falls is nice from Glacier Gorge (only a mile) but its a bit tight and there's a lot of people
...Show more

Wayne,

I'm looking forward to traveling Trail Ridge Road. I've made the trip 3 times before to Grand Lake. We have always found it enjoyable and did get a good look at some rams the last time we were there in the Rock Cut area. I've been on the trails you mentioned before and I'm sure we will visit them again. I'm hoping for some wildflower opportunities in the Beaver Meadow area.

John

dgdg wrote:
I have been to RMNP twice, just recently this June and last summer.

For landscape photography I highly highly highly recommend Erik Stensland's inexpensive e-book on great landscape photography locations in the park. He has a nice online photo gallery as well which you should peruse. Many locations are very accessible and each is ranked and sorted for difficulty level.
http://imagesofrmnp.com/product/photographing-rmnp-ebook/

If you would benefit from a guided animal or landscape tour to take you places in the dark (and setup for sunrise/sunset) you might not otherwise attempt, I highly recommend Jared at Yellow Wood guiding.
http://www.ywguiding.com/
He is excellent and provided wildlife opportunities I
...Show more

David,

Thanks for the link to the ebook. I will need to look into that as a purchase before our trip. I've always thought the moose opportunities would be better near Grand Lake than Estes Park. Perhaps we will try and look for them the day we spend in Grand Lake.

John

JimFox wrote:

The San Juan Mountains are a million times better then the RMNP and offer so much more in spectacular
...Show more

Jim,

Thanks for your suggestion regarding San Juan and the other areas. I guess I should have made this post before I made my reservations earlier in the year. Perhaps I'll rise to the challenge and find some good landscape vantage points to shoot from.

John

Dustin Gent wrote:
Well i guess for sideline shooters, this is probably true about RMNP. but from what i have seen and the stories I have heard from backpackers, it is SPECTACULAR.

Dustin,

I hope to come across some of those spectacular areas while in the park.

John

Jun 16, 2016 at 08:45 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Rocky Mountain National Park and Colorado Springs

Your're welcome. Whatever you decide, it should be a great trip John.
I posted last week's wildlife images if you are interested. If you are based in Grand Lake at any point, I'd go out early as possible in the morning along the Colorado River for moose. Have your 100-400mm in your lap. Even non photography family members enjoy the view.
The East Inlet Trail early in the am may have moose sightings as well but the constrained trail can make it potentially dangerous for the careless person. Some hikers have been turned away by a moose coming down the trail so keep your eyes open. Last year a ranger said a friend of her's was injured by a moose on the trail.

David

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1436058
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1435487

And from wildlife from last year,
https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1386646/0?nc=1#13195421

Jun 16, 2016 at 09:22 PM
JohnKS
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Rocky Mountain National Park and Colorado Springs

dgdg wrote:
Your're welcome. Whatever you decide, it should be a great trip John.
I posted last week's wildlife images if you are interested. If you are based in Grand Lake at any point, I'd go out early as possible in the morning along the Colorado River for moose. Have your 100-400mm in your lap. Even non photography family members enjoy the view.
The East Inlet Trail early in the am may have moose sightings as well but the constrained trail can make it potentially dangerous for the careless person. Some hikers have been turned away by a moose coming down the trail so
...Show more

David,

Thanks for the links to your wildlife shots. They are very nice. I don't recall seeing any ptarmigan's the last 3 times we were in the park. I doubt we will be in Grand Lake early as if I recall it's 45 miles or so from Estes and there are plenty of overlooks to enjoy on Trail Ridge Road. It would be great to get a shot of moose with her young one. I will definitely invest the time to find them. Perhaps I can get some help at a ranger station on their location. I was in Yellowstone in September of 2013 and was able to get the following shot. I only wish they were looking at me.

IMG_1029.jpg by John Sanfillippo, on Flickr

Thanks again for your time.

John

Jun 16, 2016 at 09:50 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Rocky Mountain National Park and Colorado Springs

JohnKS wrote:
Thanks for the links to your wildlife shots. They are very nice. I don't recall seeing any ptarmigan's the last 3 times we were in the park. I doubt we will be in Grand Lake early as if I recall it's 45 miles or so from Estes and there are plenty of overlooks to enjoy on Trail Ridge Road. It would be great to get a shot of moose with her young one. I will definitely invest the time to find them. Perhaps I can get some help at a ranger station on their location. I was in Yellowstone in
...Show more

That's a fab shot John.
If you leave Estes at 4:30am, you can arrive at Beaver Ponds for sunrise.
Then there's plenty of time around 8am to head back up to Trail Ridge after many moose have headed for the woods and the light gets stronger.
The cows and babies did come out midday, associated with cloudy and even rainy weather. Other moose were less plentiful however. So you never know. Evening is good too. The only sure thing is June is an ideal time for viewing them.

As far as location you just go up and down the Kawuneeche Valley in your car.
You may find them along the river from beside the main road. Also cruise every westward headed side road from Sloopys to Beaver Ponds. This is where they are. In the am I'd see clumps of 4-5 in a small field.

David

Jun 16, 2016 at 10:10 PM
JohnKS
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Rocky Mountain National Park and Colorado Springs

JohnKS wrote:
Thanks for the links to your wildlife shots. They are very nice. I don't recall seeing any ptarmigan's the last 3 times we were in the park. I doubt we will be in Grand Lake early as if I recall it's 45 miles or so from Estes and there are plenty of overlooks to enjoy on Trail Ridge Road. It would be great to get a shot of moose with her young one. I will definitely invest the time to find them. Perhaps I can get some help at a ranger station on their location. I was in Yellowstone in
...Show more
dgdg wrote:
That's a fab shot John.
If you leave Estes at 4:30am, you can arrive at Beaver Ponds for sunrise.
Then there's plenty of time around 8am to head back up to Trail Ridge after many moose have headed for the woods and the light gets stronger.
The cows and babies did come out midday, associated with cloudy and even rainy weather. Other moose were less plentiful however. So you never know. Evening is good too. The only sure thing is June is an ideal time for viewing them.

As far as location you just go up and down the Kawuneeche Valley in your
...Show more

David,

Thanks for the kind words regarding my Yellowstone shot. That was strictly a photography trip and a great time.

I'm traveling with my wife, two of my 3 daughters and one of my son-in-laws. I think my son-in-law and me can be motivated to leave Estes by 4:30 but for the ladies in the family that's a different story. I'm not so sure I want to be on Trail Ridge Road that early anyway. With the colder temps at the higher elevations I'd be just a bit leery of some possible slick spots on the road.

John

Jun 16, 2016 at 10:34 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Rocky Mountain National Park and Colorado Springs

Dustin Gent wrote:

Ha ha, so now I am a sideline shooter? Some how that feels like an insult.

The OP didn't say anything about his backpacking for 4 or 5 days in RMNP. So that's why I suggested the San Juans, where us Sideline photographers can get much better mountain shots, plus if someone wants to get off the sidelines they can hike or backpack into places like the Blue Lakes. Which I have done before my sideline days.

Jim

PS. I guarantee if you google RMNP and then google the San Juan Wilderness, you will find at least twice (probably 4 times) as many spectacular photos.

Jim

Jun 16, 2016 at 11:59 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Rocky Mountain National Park and Colorado Springs

dgdg wrote:
I certainly can see Jim's point of view but might suggest something a bit more in the middle given that you already have plans to tour RMNP.

Erik Stensland's e-book definitely shows that great great landscapes are to be had at RMPN. I don't have enough experience at RMNP and elsewhere to wholeheartedly shy you away from the area.
I think some areas will take a bit of a hike, but I don't mind a moderate hike for the overall experience. I used to backpack and hike long before I was into photography. It's just another way for me to enjoy nature.
The
...Show more

Hey David,

I agree, and I must agree since I still visit the RMNP at least twice a year. All I was trying to offer was an option to getting what I feel is more bang for ones buck in the Colorado area. I have a lot of cool shots from RMNP, but I have a ton more spectacular shots from the San Juans and not just "sideline" photos either.

By no means was I suggesting that the OP only go places he can shoot from his car from. But if anyone has been to the San Juans, they know the spectacular views that can be gotten from County Rd 5, 7, 7A, 9, the Dallas Divide, etc, etc. that are totally just off the road and have easy access. I sure hope the value of those locations aren't diminished because someone doesn't have to hike 10 miles through death defying circumstances. And I know you aren't saying these locations are less of locations because they are accessible by road. I am still having a hard time understanding someone elses "sideline" insult.

Jim

Jun 17, 2016 at 12:08 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Rocky Mountain National Park and Colorado Springs

Jim, if we ever go to RMNP area again, which is my hope, I really need to check out the San Juans you mentioned. These are great tips EVERYONE should appreciate, and I plan to save them for reference. Part of my love for RMNP is the ymca which is great for a young family. You just can't find another NP with plentiful kid oriented activities. It's easy to find something for everyone at Rocky.
I had no idea you go twice a year? Family?

Unless there is a storm over RMNP, trail ridge road should be free and clear by now. I was up it a couple times overnight and it was fine. There were still a couple wet spots but the temp was 45 degrees.

David

P.S.
I feel the 'sideline' comment by another was inappropriate. Thanks again for your great tips Jim, now we just need Johns photos on FM in a couple weeks!

Jun 17, 2016 at 06:31 AM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Rocky Mountain National Park and Colorado Springs

JohnKS stated that he has 6 days, and that he can do moderate hikes. Obviously he enjoys the outdoors and hiking, and doesn't just want to be in the car all the time. there is more than meets the eye at these national parks; i mean they are national parks for a reason.

perhaps "sideline shooter" was the wrong term, but i don't know how else to describe it.

Jun 17, 2016 at 04:02 PM
JimFox
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Rocky Mountain National Park and Colorado Springs

dgdg wrote:
Jim, if we ever go to RMNP area again, which is my hope, I really need to check out the San Juans you mentioned. These are great tips EVERYONE should appreciate, and I plan to save them for reference. Part of my love for RMNP is the ymca which is great for a young family. You just can't find another NP with plentiful kid oriented activities. It's easy to find something for everyone at Rocky.
I had no idea you go twice a year? Family?

Unless there is a storm over RMNP, trail ridge road should be free and clear by now.
...Show more

Hey David,

Yeah, RMNP is cool place. I was in the Army at Ft Collins in Colorado Springs so I lived there for a few years, and was constantly out exploring and photographing. My daughter was born there, and now many years later my Daughter moved to Colorado by Ft Collins, so yeah, I am making trips out there from California several times a year, tying it in with trips when I shoot in the SW or Tetons/Yellowstone. So it works well. The Grandkids love hiking and photography, so we will always be hiking up in RMNP, the kids love it and it's close to their house.

If you have never been to the San Juans, you need to plan it. I have been all over Colorado, and everyone can have their favorite locations, for me, it's the San Juan Wilderness. Fall colors are awesome there, and so is most any other season. Center yourself in Ridgway, and work out from there.

Jim

Jun 17, 2016 at 09:56 PM

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.