New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Yin Yang

rongwam
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Yin Yang

A shot at architecture. I am not so sure if my post-processing is appropriate for architecture photography. Would love to hear some suggestions.

Henry

Edited on Jun 15, 2016 at 04:17 PM · View previous versions

Jun 14, 2016 at 01:16 PM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Yin Yang

I see this more as artistic with an architectural subject. Perhaps I am wrong. Seems like a small part of the whole for a proper architectural image, but a good use of geometry and tonal values for art.

Jun 14, 2016 at 01:23 PM
rongwam
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Yin Yang

Thanks Ben for your positive comment. It is surely a small part of the whole architecture, and you are right that I am more into artistic expression....Just learning to shoot some architectures blended with my artistic style. I not so sure if it works, but it is worth a try.

Jun 14, 2016 at 01:34 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Yin Yang

I like the lines and the geometry.

What doesn't work for me is that they all lead to a black on black point.

Cheers!

Jeff

Jun 14, 2016 at 01:45 PM
rongwam
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Yin Yang

beavens wrote:
I like the lines and the geometry.

What doesn't work for me is that they all lead to a black on black point.

Cheers!

Jeff

haha...I already tried to brighten up the clouds to separate it from the other black architectural parts.

Jun 14, 2016 at 01:49 PM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Yin Yang

+1 @ Jeff's comment. That is exactly what struck me when I first viewed this image.

You captured some fantastic geometry and I like the contrast (light/dark) between the two metals separated by glass. But the dark leading into the dark and the large white area on the right make this an uncomfortable image to view. There is no harmony or balance. IF the sky was pure white with no pattern I think it would make a tremendous impact on this one.
Might be time to push your artistic liberties and play a little and see what it would look like.

I think you have found a fantastic building and I think your severe tilt is a great choice and adds a nice artistic style here. With those great lines and curves there is a nice image to be composed there somewhere. Is this a place that you can return to easily?

Dave

Jun 14, 2016 at 03:25 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Yin Yang

Great architectural POV; great subject, lines.
I think the issue is, what to think about being lead into the darkness? It creates a tension, an uneasiness, but can very much be viewed as central to a statement, mood, if that is your goal. I would not automatically change it.
On the other hand, if you want the building to (mostly) speak for itself, as such great architecture can, than a reshoot without the dark area might achieve the (different) goal.

Scott

Jun 14, 2016 at 08:49 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Yin Yang

sbeme wrote:
Great architectural POV; great subject, lines.
I think the issue is, what to think about being lead into the darkness? It creates a tension, an uneasiness, but can very much be viewed as central to a statement, mood, if that is your goal. I would not automatically change it.
On the other hand, if you want the building to (mostly) speak for itself, as such great architecture can, than a reshoot without the dark area might achieve the (different) goal.

Scott

New title: Into the Darkness

Jun 15, 2016 at 08:21 AM
rongwam
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Yin Yang

Thanks Dave, Scott, and Jeff! Looks like that I will have two versions of this image!
@Scott: Yeah, I kind of like the "dark into dark" effect, but certainly will entertain other option with more emphasis on the building.
@Dave: I can still go back that building for a reshoot, about 2 hours away, but it is a very crowded area, so I still need to figure out the right time to be back there. Hopefully, I can get some more architectural shots with this fantastic building.
@Jeff: Love the new title, "Into the Darkness"

Henry

Jun 15, 2016 at 03:57 PM
Jeff
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Yin Yang

rongwam wrote:
Thanks Dave, Scott, and Jeff! Looks like that I will have two versions of this image!
@Scott@: Yeah, I kind of like the "dark into dark" effect, but certainly will entertain other option with more emphasis on the building.
@Dave@: I can still go back that building for a reshoot, about 2 hours away, but it is a very crowded area, so I still need to figure out the right time to be back there. Hopefully, I can get some more architectural shots with this fantastic building.
@Jeff@: Love the new title, "Into the Darkness"

Henry

Hey @rongwam@, do you realize that when you tag someone with their name, rather than their actual **username**, that the tag alerts the person with the username, not the person you intended?

-'Jeff' (the user, and the person)

Jun 16, 2016 at 09:08 AM
beavens
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Yin Yang

Jeff wrote:
Hey @rongwam@@, do you realize that when you tag someone with their name, rather than their actual **username**, that the tag alerts the person with the username, not the person you intended?

-'Jeff' (the user, and the person)

Wow, I did not know of this functionality - cool!!

-Jeff, the other person

Jun 16, 2016 at 09:16 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Yin Yang

Cool! I didn't know about this either. I have no idea what it's purpose is but I always like to learn little tricks like this. Sorta like finding hidden rooms in DOOM.

That tag makes it look like I've been here since 2003!
Damn, and after all that time, I still suck at this photography thing.

_Dave, the other Dave AKA Lighthound

Jun 16, 2016 at 09:56 AM
rongwam
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Yin Yang

Me neither! I did not realize that functionality. Better tag right person next time. Haha

Henry--aka rongwam

Jun 16, 2016 at 02:33 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.