New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Getting back into Film Leica boss

mbphoto_2.8
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Getting back into Film Leica boss

I recently acquired a few Leica R lenses and when the urge overcame me to get back into film, I decided to buy a Leica.

Who would've thought that buying 4 Leica lenses in exc++ to mint condition and a mint Leica SLR body would actually be cheaper than buying 1 new Zeiss Touit 12mm?

I don't really like the looks of the camera, my Nikon F2 is much prettier, but I love how it works and the handling is great.

Only bummer so far: The grip on the back feels terribly cheap and I was disappointed to find something like this on a Leica product. They didn't even give it some sort of texture..

I bought a roll of Fuji Superia 200 (halfway through) and one Kodak Portra 160 (waiting) and still have 7 rolls of Fuji Acros 100 to shoot. I'll stock up on Portra or Superia, depending on my personal findings/preferences after the test rolls.

So, here's my camera with its playmates, an Elmarit-R 28mm f/2.8, Summicron-R 50mm f/2, Summicron-R 90mm f/2 and Elmarit-R 135mm f/2.8

I really love lens coatings, but people who had a look at my blog will already know that

On my Blog, I wrote an article for every single lens and the camera.
www.mbphotox.wordpress.com

You'll find my impressions, loads of images of the items and some more text there too.
I intend to add sample images - because I also use these lenses on my 1Ds III - soon.

Once I got some film scanned/developped, I will add some images in this thread here too.

I already ordered a Strap from Gordy's (black leather with red thread.. simply couldn't break the Leica colours.. black with yellow might've been fun too, but I prefer that one on the lenses alone)
Currently I'm looking for a lens cap that covers the hood for my 28mm lens, and also for a rubber eyecup, because I really love pressing my face against the camera to be able to see what the meter tells me.

Jun 14, 2016 at 12:46 PM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Getting back into Film Leica boss

Awesome set of gear. I hope you join us in the film thread here in the alt forum. It's over 600 pages long!

Jun 14, 2016 at 06:07 PM
sirimiri
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Getting back into Film Leica boss

Nice set. The Summicron 50 is a fantastic standard lens.

Jun 14, 2016 at 08:12 PM
DaveOls
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Getting back into Film Leica boss

You got a really nice camera. I never understood why the R series cameras were not popular enough to succeed. I don't know the price of the 12mm Touit, but it is hard to believe that this outfit could be cheaper to buy.
How are the R series Leicas for getting service. Are they still supported?

Jun 15, 2016 at 09:24 AM
mbphoto_2.8
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Getting back into Film Leica boss

The touit 12mm costs 1'200 bucks here to answer your implied question

The reason for their lack of success was that all their electronic cameras (R3, early R4 and R5s too) suffered from bugs and issues. This turned people away.

I don't know about servicing but I doubt that this will be an easy undertaking.

Jun 15, 2016 at 09:35 AM
naturephoto1
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Getting back into Film Leica boss

The Leica R system was relatively successful and ran for more than 40 years prior to Leica discontinuing the system. In 2009, Leica decided that they could no longer continue 2 FF systems, the M and the R and compete with Canon, Nikon, and the Japanese SLR manufactures. Prior to the discontinuation of the R system, Leica announced the S2 the new medium format S system. Many of us felt this was an error. Now in 2016 Leica has now introduced the new SL as the system to really carry on as a real R solution (digital R the first real digital camera after the discontinuation of the Leica DMR which could be used with the Leica R8 and R9 camera bodies) to the the discontiued Leica R system. Unfortuantely the new SL is estremely expensive though it accepts with adapter the M, R, S2, and the T and AF L lenses which will be introduced slowly.

As to the success of the R cameras some were more less prone to electronic issues including the R4S, R4SP, R6, R6.2, R8, and R9. The lenses are outstanding for many of the optics even today. I have used Leica R cameras and lenses since 1984 still have my R4SP, R7, and R8 though I have not used them since 2008 and 15 R lenses.

Leica Camera USA continues to support the repair of the R cameras and lenses. Though it is expensive for their service, they are the only official repair for Leica cameras in North America. They maintained my R cameras until 2009 and I am not sure as to having issues with parts for the cameras. They have continued to service my R lenses to today.

Rich

Jun 15, 2016 at 02:56 PM
mbphoto_2.8
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Getting back into Film Leica boss

I took the 90mm Summicron-R and the 50mm Summicron-R out for a stroll with my DSLR the other day, just around the neighborhood to take some sample images.

They are completely different lenses, although both produce great bokeh.

The 90mm is very soft wide open, producing a beautiful glow around the focal plane, handling flare exceptionally well, but suffering from strong bokeh fringing (CA)
So far I like the bokeh as much as I do with my 85L from Canon.
Summicron-R 90mm

The 50mm is astonishingly sharp, almost scaringly so, has great contrast, no noticeable chromatic aberrations, but it isn't that great with flaring.
Summicron-R 50mm

Check out the links to see pictures of the lenses, read my impressions and see the sample images.

Jun 19, 2016 at 02:09 PM
mbphoto_2.8
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Getting back into Film Leica boss

A few frames from the Leica R5 with Kodak Portra 160

All shot with the Summicron-R 50mm

Sep 10, 2016 at 04:59 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.