Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2016 · Mother board and CPU swap?

dgdg
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Mother board and CPU swap?

Acronis true image and storage craft shadow protect both can do backup restorations onto disimilar hardware. Acronis however never liked the raid 1 systems that i had.
As mentioned, I'd build a new pc and try to restore without dismantling your old one. If you are getting wonky behavior, you may very well transfer that over too. I'd build a new pc from scratch instead. It's easier and only a little more expensive.
My advice would be to make a backup and take your pc to a local shop for troubleshooting. Could be an easy fix.

Jun 15, 2016 at 06:01 AM
dhachey
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Mother board and CPU swap?

Do a clean install of the OS and all your programs. Use the opportunity to get rid of obsolete programs and tools. Once every thing has been reinstalled, then make a drive image and save it for reinstallation if ever required. Keep all of your data files on a separate drive from the OS. Use an SSD for the OS and another SSD for the LR libraries and images, then keep the original raw files on a RAID with spinning media. Back everything up religiously, preferably offsite. Good luck.

Jman13 wrote:
I'd backup anything from the boot drive (I presume your SSD) and then wipe it and install completely fresh. You'll need to reinstall all your programs and so on. Frankly, I'd start there before replacing hardware. Also, Windows 10 is a fair bit faster OS from Win 7...you'd get a nice speed bump if you went that route as well.

Jun 19, 2016 at 07:54 PM
wjauch

p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Mother board and CPU swap?

If you are getting BSOD I would also suggest running Prime95, select the stress testing option http://www.mersenne.org/download/ This will continuously run tests of most of your PC, if no problems after a few hours your hArdware is probably ok. Another small point, someone said that OEM opearating system is tied to your motherboard, however AFAIK there is an exception in that if you replace with the same model of motherboard or if no longer available the nearest replacement from the same manufacturer, microsoft will likely allow you to activate after a phone call.

Jun 19, 2016 at 08:27 PM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Mother board and CPU swap?

1) start backing up your data
2) run a check on your system ram. bad ram can also be a cause for bsd

you will have to gain access to the bios, but there should be a utility/option to perform a thorough memory test for the ram in there.

a system rebuilt should be your last option.

good luck.

Jun 19, 2016 at 09:46 PM
lifthard2001
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Mother board and CPU swap?

Update after running a few test . I found that I had a bad stick of ram causing my BSOD. Saved me some money.Thank goodness

Jun 22, 2016 at 10:38 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Mother board and CPU swap?

Quality of DRAM—both the chips and the packaging—has improved greatly in the last decade or two. The original IBM PC was designed to detect single-bit errors via a simple parity check, and halt instantly. Later, ECC circuitry arrived to detect and correct single-bit errors, allowing an orderly shutdown for repairs. Nowadays, consumer PCs have no detection at all in order to lower cost, but a non-zero risk remains. From Wikipedia:

"Large scale studies on non-ECC main memory in PCs and laptops suggest that undetected memory errors account for a substantial number of system failures: the study reported a 1-in-1700 chance per 1.5% of memory tested (extrapolating to an approximately 26% chance for total memory) that a computer would have a memory error every eight months."

My PCs are always configured for ECC, and Intel now requires the premium Xeon CPU and chipsets for the privilege. For peace of mind, and especially for 24/7 servers with a lot of memory, I consider this feature to be essential. The Memtest utility is great, but the OS must be shut down, and memory errors can be both episodic and sensitive to the system workload.

Ref: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAM_parity

Jun 23, 2016 at 12:46 AM
Shutterbug2006
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Mother board and CPU swap?

MNPNW wrote:
If you have an OEM Windows (not retail), the serial number is tied to the motherboard so you will not be able to use it on a different motherboard.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-windows_install/how-exactly-does-windows-7-retail-vs-oem/fae7b2ab-c530-45e6-aeb3-cc55cf7b9231

Replacing the mainboard or many other components usually triggers an activation wizard, requiring you to activate the windows again. You should have no problems doing this however.

I have upgraded many times in the past, by taking taking the hard drive out of one computer and cloning it, and putting the clone into another box, or by replacing mainboards etc. and have always been able to reinstall windows over the existing version, without losing installed programs or data.

But clone the hard drive and work with the clone .... just in case.

Jun 23, 2016 at 02:13 PM
lifthard2001
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Mother board and CPU swap?

The BSOD raised its head again today.UGH I was able to get this little bit of the screen with my phone.

0704161320 by lifthard1, on Flickr

Jul 04, 2016 at 01:31 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Mother board and CPU swap?

Haven't read all the posts.
Did you do a windows memory test with new memory sticks, and look up the codes?

Jul 04, 2016 at 03:17 PM
lifthard2001
• • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Mother board and CPU swap?

I just got new sticks and the machine ran well for about a week and then started back with BSOD. Im in the process of running MemTest as we speak its been running for about an hour now

Jul 04, 2016 at 04:18 PM
tntcorp
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Mother board and CPU swap?

good to hear you have discovered a bad ram stick. now, if you have ruled out all bad hw, then the next step to check are sw apps as one or more maybe creating memory leak(s) or your swap memory may need to be resized (if win 7 stills uses such virtual mem.)

for start, make a list of all launched apps prior to the bsod. then, launch them individually and monitor memory usage in task manager until you find the culprit app(s).

another approach is to boot in safe mode and begin the hunt by individually launches each app from the list.

btw, did you obtain replacement ram from a known certified or reputable source? pulling an old spare from the desk drawers or buying from ebay is not a way to go. :-)

Jul 04, 2016 at 05:35 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Mother board and CPU swap?

It certainly still *looks* like bad RAM, but that would seem unlikely if you have bought new sticks.

It could be something like a bad driver or some sort of corruption of the Windows system files i guess, but that is very much a guess.

It could also be a failing power supply - i've had all sorts of weird errors resulting from failing PSU's, and often they are confusing like this.

If you can, transplant both the new and old RAM to another computer and test it there. That should be definitive.

Jul 05, 2016 at 12:13 AM
lifthard2001
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Mother board and CPU swap?

15Bit wrote:
It certainly still *looks* like bad RAM, but that would seem unlikely if you have bought new sticks.

It could be something like a bad driver or some sort of corruption of the Windows system files i guess, but that is very much a guess.

It could also be a failing power supply - i've had all sorts of weird errors resulting from failing PSU's, and often they are confusing like this.

If you can, transplant both the new and old RAM to another computer and test it there. That should be definitive.

Just ran MEMtest for around 12hours and nothing showed up.

Jul 05, 2016 at 12:54 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Mother board and CPU swap?

Then your RAM is probably OK. Now it's a trial and error process to find the problem i guess...

Did you check the RAM in your computer or a second one?

Jul 05, 2016 at 01:52 PM
lifthard2001
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Mother board and CPU swap?

In mine no other one available

Jul 05, 2016 at 01:55 PM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Mother board and CPU swap?

It kinda stinks when you find a problem, fix it, and still have issues.
When I start beating my head against a bad pc, I just take it to a local repair shop. This has always been the cheapest route as far as time and cost although I do not need the service often.
You've got bsod codes and probably windows logs.
If you already plan on a new pc, then I wouldn't put more time or money into it.

typing the code into google can help, sometimes..
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/bluescreen-stop-error-0x0000001a/f9b191b6-f2e7-4dff-8451-fd15e3f677a3?auth=1

and,
0x41790 means this:
A page table page has been corrupted

David

Edited on Jul 05, 2016 at 02:02 PM · View previous versions

Jul 05, 2016 at 01:59 PM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Mother board and CPU swap?

Then i suggest you just go along as normal and if it happens again try to remember what you were doing. If it is something CPU intensive, then you might have CPU cooling problems or PSU problems. If you are copying a lot of data then maybe the hard drive is suspect. That sort of thing.

Unfortunately, if you don't have a spare computer to test components then you are reduced to educated guesswork and test utilities.

Jul 05, 2016 at 02:01 PM
lifthard2001
• • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Mother board and CPU swap?

15Bit wrote:
Then i suggest you just go along as normal and if it happens again try to remember what you were doing. If it is something CPU intensive, then you might have CPU cooling problems or PSU problems. If you are copying a lot of data then maybe the hard drive is suspect. That sort of thing.

Unfortunately, if you don't have a spare computer to test components then you are reduced to educated guesswork and test utilities.

Thank you so much for taking your time to help me out on this.

Jul 05, 2016 at 02:13 PM
Alan321
• • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Mother board and CPU swap?

Just as an example of how difficult this can be, I recently had troubles with my notebook pc not shutting down properly, and therefore not restarting properly. It turned out to be a conflict of some sort between the driver for the trackpad (elantech program manager) and the driver for the mouse (logitech setpoint), but it was very hard to find that out. At the time I was so fed up that I was about to trash everything stored on the machine and start again with a new install of Windows. I was even considering a new computer. Luckily I was spared that grief this time.

- Alan

Jul 07, 2016 at 09:26 AM
       end

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.