Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · My D5 experience thus far.

jlawrence
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · My D5 experience thus far.

I've been a full time photographer for quite some time now. I wanna say around 6-7 years. The last cameras I bought for myself were the D700s back in 2010. Before that I first had the D60, D90, and the D200.

I loved my D700s because of the pop-up flash and its ability to shoot at high frame rates with the use of 8 AA batteries. The pop-up allowed me to use off camera flashes, this would be the only thing I miss from the D700.

Out the door price on this was $7020. The salesman at the Santa Ana, CA Samy's camera compensated the price i paid in taxes with a 105mm 2.8D, Sandisk 32GB 160mbs CF card, and an extra battery.

My first shoot with the D5 was for the US Coast Guard. This first image was taken in almost complete darkness. The only thing visible to the naked eye was a red light from inside the cockpit of the camera and the chem light on the ground. With the helicopter less than 30 feet away from me, there was no way I could hear what was happening. I dragged my shutter, held on for dear life, and snapped away. I couldn't check my LCD because it would ruin my adapted night vision. This being my first shoot with the D5, the glowing buttons helped immensely.

1/5sec @ 1.8f ISO 204800 20mm nikkor 1.8G.
All I could place the focus point on was the red dot.

exposure +1.45
Contrast -40
Highlights -100
shadows +65
blacks -66
Whites +42
Vibrance +83

This second image was taken at the beginning of the assault (we were never told when the assault would begin, just that it would happen once we reached 30 miles off the coast.) I had no clue the boat was next to our vessel, I was actually about to vomit. The AF couldn't lock onto anything, so I relied on the live view to see if I could focus. I'd have done a similar thing for the fast rope session, but my arms were needed to hold onto the rails.

1/8sec @ 1.8f ISO 204,800 20mm nikkor 1.8G *blurry, it wasn't the machine focusing- it's me.

exp +1.6
wht +55
blk -89
video of the crew sneaking onto our ship=

Coast Guard Assaulter Stands Watch
1/50sec @ 1.8f ISO 40,000 Nikkor 20mm 1.8G

exp -.60
wht +20
black -20

A few days later I shot a baby Christening. Here's a full shot of the venue, straight out of the camera. I heard alot of hate about the camera's dynamic range- but it seems to do okay in my line of work.

1/1000th sec @ 2.8f ISO 100 Nikkor 20mm 1.8G

This past weekend I tackled my first wedding with it. It performed beautifully. I normally shoot with 2 D700s with my 20mm and 85mm, but this weekend I used a D5 and a 24-70G. The camera never missed focus, I did.

Here's a shot of the dress, I hated that the parking lot was visible and that the room was too small for me to get far enough from the dress make the lot disappear, so I closed the shutter to get some color in the ceiling. This is not a keeper image, just thought it was interesting.
1/160th @ 2.8f ISO 10,000 Nikkor 24-70 2.8G
https://photos.smugmug.com/Poison-Arrow-/D5-Review-Pictures/i-7VgP3pX/0/X2/JC5_3188-X2.jpg" title="2024 © jlawrence" class="swipebox">https://photos.smugmug.com/Poison-Arrow-/D5-Review-Pictures/i-7VgP3pX/0/X2/JC5_3188-X2.jpg">
wht +39
blk -36

There's always one unpredicable grand entrance, person. Here he is jumping into his walking partner. Again, the camera didn't miss a beat.

desatured and probably -40 Black.

Here's a product shot I took a few days back. Lit from the left via an SB900 @50mm w shoot through umbrella, it's set at 1/4 power. Lit from below with a SB700 on wide adapter at 1/1. Lights controlled from an on-board SB700 set at 1/1 to bounce from the ceiling @ 105mm. ***This made me miss the on-board flash of the D700, I had one more flash available off camera if I had an on-board measure of controlling the lights.

The product, if you're curious, is a Mammoth Molar handled Titanium Damascus Folding knife. ps- The Mammoth Molar was obtained via legal measures.

1/100 @ f25, ISO 200 on Micro Nikkor 105mm 2.8D
Jun 14, 2016 at 06:53 AM
jlawrence
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · My D5 experience thus far.

Overall, I love it. I haven't loved a camera like this in a long time. The insane ISO capabilities allow me to control a scene almost completely. I am no longer at the mercy of the darkness,it is 100% up to me if tlash shall be used in a shooting situation.

I work video at a local "Nightcrawling" company and I have replaced my giant TV camera (JVC GMY750) with the D5. Here's my first video with it, pardon the shakiness as it was a night in which I left my tripod at home.
https://onscenevideo.tv/norwalk-presidential-primary-ballot-drop/

Jun 14, 2016 at 07:07 AM
Arka
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · My D5 experience thus far.

Thanks for your amazing images and thoughts!

Have you had a chance to test the AF on subjects moving toward or away from you? How's the tracking? I have a toddler who I'd love to be able to photograph at f/1.4 as she runs towards me, but that's a pretty demanding ask for any camera. How do you think the D5 would do?

Jun 15, 2016 at 02:55 AM
jlawrence
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · My D5 experience thus far.

It did great with my 135 F2, I don't doubt for one second that the D5 can pull it off.

Jun 15, 2016 at 03:43 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.