New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Friday Night Dining

eeneryma
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Friday Night Dining

Left home last night without my camera, but fortunately had my cell phone. Challenging lighting conditions, but with Topaz Denoise, mitigated somewhat. Restaurant noisy and packed, no one noticing me with my cell phone.

Your critiques and comments appreciated.

Steve

© eeneryma 2016

Friday Night Dining

Jun 11, 2016 at 10:29 AM
ben egbert
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Friday Night Dining

Very good for a cell phone. I would like it better if I could see the elbows and the waitress was not in the image. But maybe this is normal to the style.

Jun 11, 2016 at 11:41 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Friday Night Dining

I actually like the waitress in the scene on a couple of accounts:

1) She is blurred by motion
2) She is exiting the frame

Normally the exiting the frame is deemed not good to the image / message. But, here the role of the waitress is to be a necessary provider, yet to be as minimal an invasion to the dining as possible. Thus, the waitress leaving the scene is very integral to a good dining experience, imo.

Not sure if that was serendipity on Steve's part or by design of desired message to convey (hoping the latter ), but either way, I'm good (very good) with the waitress.

As to other aspects of the image, the girl with the hand obscuring part of her face would normally be a put-off, but here it conveys she is in a listening posture, while conversely the woman in the background is in a talking posture (role reversal). Again, serendipity or intentional comp?

Even if not by intentional design, serendipity only goes so far, and I think that's where a person's gut calls to them, even if they can't really explain it in the moment.

There are additional aspects, but I'll rest for now.

+1 @ Ben about cell phone IQ ... but, imo, the IQ is a secondary / tertiary issue compared to the components available for study in the comp.

Jun 11, 2016 at 06:01 PM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Friday Night Dining

RustyBug wrote:
I actually like the waitress in the scene on a couple of accounts:

1) She is blurred by motion
2) She is exiting the frame

Normally the exiting the frame is deemed not good to the image / message. But, here the role of the waitress is to be a necessary provider, yet to be as minimal an invasion to the dining as possible. Thus, the waitress leaving the scene is very integral to a good dining experience, imo.

Not sure if that was serendipity on Steve's part or by design of desired message to convey (hoping the latter ), but either way,
...Show more

Thanks Kent for your detailed critique. I took about 8-10 shots of this scene before deciding on the one I liked best. The aisle way was extremely busy, with waiters, waitresses, and bus boys entering my photo path. Some of the shots were blurred and had to be axed. So I had several to chose from.
I'm kinda amazed that I was able to work with the cell phone files to get something decent. Also, so many people these days are holding and using their cell phones that no one notices like they would if you pointed a DSLR.
The shot would have been better with the elbows fully shown. I agree.
Steve

Jun 11, 2016 at 06:39 PM
beavens
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Friday Night Dining

Def dig the blurred waitress being included.

Steve - what's the goal for this one? Busy restaurant scene or intimate moment with the couple in the foreground?

I'm somewhat torn between the two with busyness in the frame/lots of DOF, but then on the opposite side we've got the bright candle, large bottles and awesome eye contact of the couple. Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but her eyes and coy smile (coupled with the lack of a wedding band) almost convey the moment of her realizing she may have found "the one".

I think the focus here needs to be on the couple. The surrounding world may as well not even exist IMO.

Cheers!

Jeff

Jun 11, 2016 at 09:59 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Friday Night Dining

Jeff,

I caught the wedding band component also. Another reason the hand obscuring the face didn't bother me. It is a piece of the story, too. Wondered who else might pick up on that, so I didn't tip the hand.

Jun 12, 2016 at 09:09 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Friday Night Dining

beavens wrote:
Def dig the blurred waitress being included.

Steve - what's the goal for this one? Busy restaurant scene or intimate moment with the couple in the foreground?

I'm somewhat torn between the two with busyness in the frame/lots of DOF, but then on the opposite side we've got the bright candle, large bottles and awesome eye contact of the couple. Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but her eyes and coy smile (coupled with the lack of a wedding band) almost convey the moment of her realizing she may have found "the one".

I think the focus here needs to be
...Show more

In NYC, dining out is theatre. Of course it's about the food, but also about the people surrounding you, the way they're dressed, evesdropping on conversations at times, where they could be from, what they do, etc. photographers are visually nosy.
The thing that caught my eye the most was this pretty girl's intense gaze at her boyfriend(?), emphasized by her pointed finger at her eye. Definitely a strong attraction and love, at least in my eye.

Jun 12, 2016 at 10:08 AM
eeneryma
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Friday Night Dining

RustyBug wrote:
Jeff,

I caught the wedding band component also. Another reason the hand obscuring the face didn't bother me. It is a piece of the story, too. Wondered who else might pick up on that, so I didn't tip the hand.

Your new nickname...Eagle Eye...as it's always been

Steve

Jun 12, 2016 at 10:10 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.