New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · D500 sensor cleaning

j.curtis
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D500 sensor cleaning

What are you using to clean your sensor on the D500?

Jun 10, 2016 at 09:53 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D500 sensor cleaning

Unicorn tears......

Actually I haven't received my D500 yet but on my Canon bodies I try to start with a Rocket Blower. If that doesn't work I use an Arctic Butterfly sensor brush from VisibleDust. If that doesn't work then I use the V-swabs and Cleaning solutions from www.visibledust.com

So far I haven't ruined a sensor...fingers crossed....I've cleaned many sensors this way...mostly the 1DX as that thing is always getting dirty from the high FPS.

Jun 10, 2016 at 10:03 PM
Keiththom
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D500 sensor cleaning

Dumb question - but why does a camera with high fps get dirtier than one with less fps?

Jun 11, 2016 at 08:15 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D500 sensor cleaning

Keiththom wrote:
Dumb question - but why does a camera with high fps get dirtier than one with less fps?

It probably isn't a universal thing, the 1DX just seems to have a lot of lubricant and it was much worse in the initial months and got better over time. I assume the high FPS may have needed more grease. Then there are cameras like the D600 which aren't high FPS and had even worse problems with sensor splatter.

Jun 11, 2016 at 08:56 AM
can0nfan2379
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D500 sensor cleaning

arbitrage wrote:
Unicorn tears......

Actually I haven't received my D500 yet but on my Canon bodies I try to start with a Rocket Blower. If that doesn't work I use an Arctic Butterfly sensor brush from VisibleDust. If that doesn't work then I use the V-swabs and Cleaning solutions from www.visibledust.com

So far I haven't ruined a sensor...fingers crossed....I've cleaned many sensors this way...mostly the 1DX as that thing is always getting dirty from the high FPS.

Did you order a D500 + 200-500?

Jun 11, 2016 at 09:06 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · D500 sensor cleaning

can0nfan2379 wrote:
Did you order a D500 + 200-500?

Yes. Going to give it a try. I won't be selling my big Canon lenses any time soon, probably never. For now I'm keeping a 1DX and 5DSR and if the D500 performs I will sell my 7D2 and 80D.

Jun 11, 2016 at 11:54 AM
j.curtis
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · D500 sensor cleaning

Keiththom wrote:

I am guessing it is because he does more rapid shooting. In reality it doesn't per frame. Over a period of time he probably takes more shots with the faster camera so it increases the opportunity to get dirty faster.

Jun 11, 2016 at 04:25 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · D500 sensor cleaning

Keiththom wrote:

It doesn't.

Jun 11, 2016 at 04:42 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · D500 sensor cleaning

Visible Dust products are the best IMHO.

Jun 11, 2016 at 04:46 PM
LeifG
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · D500 sensor cleaning

I clean my D200 and D600 sensors using a rocket blower, if that fails, an artists brush electrostatically charged with a rocket blower, and if that fails, a PecPad wrapped round an old sensor stick with a drop of Eclipse fluid. The artists brush may need washing first to remove sizing.

Cleaning products such the Arctic Butterfly seem so outrageously priced.

Jun 12, 2016 at 03:34 AM
Spectro
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · D500 sensor cleaning

They are high priced but so are sensors. If I'm cleaning my own sensor I'm using what I know works and I'm comfortable using Arctic Butterfly. Very little guess work.

Jun 12, 2016 at 09:19 AM
paloika
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · D500 sensor cleaning

The gel stick sensor cleaner work the best for me. I tried the swab and liquid type but it didn't worked as good as the gel stick. I own the D600 and D750.

https://photographylife.com/product/sensor-gel-stick

Jun 12, 2016 at 03:28 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.