Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · Hi : ) !!! - Is it only the weight convenience, when using zoom and prim...

igmolinav
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hi : ) !!! - Is it only the weight convenience, when using zoom and primes (Sony video)

Hi,

A zoom encompassing three focal lengths: 35, 50, and 70 mm.
Weighs 500 grams. Any of the primes in those focal lengths
weigh no more than 285 grams. You buy (or have bought) first
the primes and zoom, or the zoom and then the primes. You
have now repeated focal lengths for 35, 50, 70 mm. In which
way is it good or convenient when shooting video, or as an
overall experience with a Sony A7 camera? I am curious, do
you repeat focal lengths. If so, under which parameters or
circumstances?

Thank you, kind regards,

igmolinav : ) !!!

Jun 10, 2016 at 11:31 AM
CMcG01
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hi : ) !!! - Is it only the weight convenience, when using zoom and primes (Sony video)

I'm not using Sony or shooting video, so take this for what it is:

I'd say a speed and bulk convenience is some circumstances. Its faster to rotate (or push/pull) a zoom into another focal length than change lenses. So far less time spent 'having the wrong lens on." You are also carrying one lens and not 3.

That said, I have a 35-70 and also 35, 50, 85. The fixed lenses are 2.8 and 1.4 vs 3.4 zoom so much better in low light. Depends on the situation which I have on me and which I use.

Jun 10, 2016 at 02:54 PM
igmolinav
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hi : ) !!! - Is it only the weight convenience, when using zoom and primes (Sony video)

Hi,

Thank you for your message : ) !!!

Yes, I have a f/3.4 zoom as well.
It is not a purchase I'll do tomorrow,
but the 35 mm. I am looking at to
get in the future is f/2.8, so half a
stop differece with the zoom. I
already have an 80 mm., f/2.8 from
medium format. Again, just a half
stop difference with the zoom. I
have been offered a 50 mm., f/1.4.
Ok, the 50 mm. prime is two and
half stops more luminous. But if I
get a 60 mm., insted the 50 mm.,
the 60 mm. is only half a stop brighter
than the zoom. So, for the most
part, the only advantage for using the
primes is their luminosity only half a
stop faster, and yes, in some cases
200 grams less weight. Is it convenient,
or worth it, or more fun?

Thank you again, kind regards,

igmolinav : ) !!!

Jun 11, 2016 at 07:55 PM
dthrog00
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hi : ) !!! - Is it only the weight convenience, when using zoom and primes (Sony video)

Most 50mm f/1.4 lenses aren't very good wide open as far as contrast and subjective sharpness are concerned.

Which 50 and 60mm lenses are you considering?

Zoom vs prime can probably only be answered by you.

Dave

Jun 11, 2016 at 10:21 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Hi : ) !!! - Is it only the weight convenience, when using zoom and primes (Sony video)

Not just weight, but intermediate focal lengths too. Zoom till it looks right rather than running back and forth..

Jun 11, 2016 at 11:38 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Hi : ) !!! - Is it only the weight convenience, when using zoom and primes (Sony video)

Not just weight, but intermediate focal lengths too. Zoom till it looks right rather than running back and forth..

Jun 11, 2016 at 11:45 PM
CMcG01
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Hi : ) !!! - Is it only the weight convenience, when using zoom and primes (Sony video)

Prime vs zoom is a difficult thing to discuss in general terms. Which specific lens has a lot to do with when/where/why one uses it. Which zoom do you have? Which 35, 50, and 60 are you considering?

I only recently got out of the idea that primes are usually better than zooms or that zoom lenses are inherently a compromise (image quality traded for convenience)-- the image quality of many recent zooms and improved iso handling of recent cameras makes this often untrue now. Many now are as good or better than the prime counterpart. I'd like to thank Canon, Fuji, and Contax for my philosophy change.

So, if the zoom is equal or greater in image quality (whatever that is to you- sharpness, color, contrast, rendering) then it is a question of size, weight, aperture, cost, and how you want to use that lens or focal length.

You have another thread on the Fuji 14 vs zoom. I have and love the 14 and have no interest in another lens that covers that range for the Fuji, this is coupled with the kit zoom for a great compact travel setup. The small size of the camera and lens, the lens' focus and aperture control, and the overall image quality make this an incredible combo.

On the other hand, my Canon wide lens is the 16-35 f/4 IS. I have a (Nikkor) 24 and (Contax) 35 in that range and think often they are redundant, though great lenses (this says how much I think of the Canon's image quality, too!). They are both smaller and faster (2.8 vs 4) but manual focus and aperture, and the 1dsiii is a large camera, so a larger lens fits and feels great-- I'm not going stealth with the 1dsiii no matter how hard I try .

The 35-70 I mentioned earlier is Contax and stellar! Believe the hype. It is a 3.4, so I can bump up my iso a little so the speed difference is negligible and it is at least as good as my 35 2.8 Contax. I debate often on keeping the 35 and 24. The Contax 50 1.4 and 85 1.4 are also in this range but have an obvious advantage in speed and are great lenses in their own right. Other 50s I have for fun and different rendering styles, they are cheap and great lenses.

How you go about it depends on what you want, what you hope to get out of another lens, and what you like/need to do.

Jun 12, 2016 at 10:17 AM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Hi : ) !!! - Is it only the weight convenience, when using zoom and primes (Sony video)

To me the weight that counts is the weight on the camera...not what is in my pack. This is where a prime is MUCH more lighter than a zoom. Carrying a zoom around your neck or hanging from your wrist for an entire day of shooting is not something I like doing. I always carry primes when going out for the day of shooting just for the weight savings.

Jun 12, 2016 at 11:43 AM
dthrog00
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Hi : ) !!! - Is it only the weight convenience, when using zoom and primes (Sony video)

chez wrote:
To me the weight that counts is the weight on the camera...not what is in my pack. This is where a prime is MUCH more lighter than a zoom. Carrying a zoom around your neck or hanging from your wrist for an entire day of shooting is not something I like doing. I always carry primes when going out for the day of shooting just for the weight savings.

Shoulder straps are pretty effortless to carry even with large lenses.

Dave

Jun 12, 2016 at 06:01 PM
chez
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Hi : ) !!! - Is it only the weight convenience, when using zoom and primes (Sony video)

dthrog00 wrote:
Shoulder straps are pretty effortless to carry even with large lenses.

Dave

Just got back from Vietnam and there is no way I'd carry my gear on my shoulder through those crowds. Saturday night in old Hanoi is jammed packed...barely able to squeeze a body through. I carried my camera around my wrist with a light prime.

Even with sling straps, a heavy lens at the end of the strap in hot humid conditions will quickly become a pain. The lighter the better.

Jun 12, 2016 at 08:50 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Hi : ) !!! - Is it only the weight convenience, when using zoom and primes (Sony video)

dthrog00 wrote:
Most 50mm f/1.4 lenses aren't very good wide open as far as contrast and subjective sharpness are concerned.

Which 50 and 60mm lenses are you considering?

Zoom vs prime can probably only be answered by you.

Dave

most zooms aren't very good at f/1.4 either.

stopped down a good zoom will be as good as a good 50mm prime (possibly better). i personally don't like shooting with zooms due to the extra bulk and slow speed, i imagine they would be great for video though if you need to shoot continuously. i have about 20 50mm lenses and one 35-70 zoom that performs very well in my tests, but never gets used. in tight spaces i just stitch rather than zoom...

Jun 13, 2016 at 12:53 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Hi : ) !!! - Is it only the weight convenience, when using zoom and primes (Sony video)

Now that zooms don't universally suck, the choice of zoom versus prime has become interesting, and I give consideration to factors like price, convenience, weight, speed, character, and cost. FL can overlap, but a particular photographic application will make one prime (or zoom) attractive over another. Example 1: Nikon's 17-55/2.8 DX is a fast zoom and weatherproof, but it's also heavy, expensive and lacks VR. I might, therefore, prefer to tote their kit 18-55 VR (a fine performer). Example 2: the Nikkor 70-200/4 VR is full-featured, but physically ungainly, expensive and two stops slower than the Rokinon 135/2. I will chose the latter if the disadvantages (manual-focus, no sealing, no VR, useless aperture ring) are not an issue for a shoot.

Clear as mud?

Jun 13, 2016 at 07:56 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.