New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2016 · D5, 70-200 II and VND Issue

bipock
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · D5, 70-200 II and VND Issue

So, yesterday was my first day out with my D5. I had some time before my shoot to play around with it and seemed like everything checked out.

I used a lot of flash on my shoot yesterday, some needed the VND, some didn't. I noticed a very consistent issue when using the VND, even at low settings. The issue - camera would confirm focus, but nothing was in focus. Lens seemed to locking on quickly, but the image review was completely different.

I've used this combo a lot with my d750, never had an issue, so this threw me for a loop.

I cleaned the front element this morning, along with the filter to ensure there was nothing on there screwing things up. sing the lens bare, everything is spot on. Throw the filter on and it goes to crap - looks like there's a haze on the image.

Any thoughts?

Jun 10, 2016 at 07:09 AM
Dale Kirchhofer
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · D5, 70-200 II and VND Issue

I don't have a D5 but do you have another lens that the VND fits ? Try a different lens and see if the problem repeats. Trying to eliminate variables. What is the focus limit switch set to ?

Jun 10, 2016 at 01:59 PM
bipock
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · D5, 70-200 II and VND Issue

I tried my 85 1.4 and 24-70 too. Same thing there. I went back and looked at my images were I've used it and almost wonder if my subject just doesn't have enough light on them. I can't see where that would cause focus not to lock, especially if it's pretty well lit.

I've got another session tonight, so I'll try real world and see if I can come up with something else.

Jun 10, 2016 at 02:24 PM
Donzo98
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · D5, 70-200 II and VND Issue

bipock wrote:
I tried my 85 1.4 and 24-70 too. Same thing there. I went back and looked at my images were I've used it and almost wonder if my subject just doesn't have enough light on them. I can't see where that would cause focus not to lock, especially if it's pretty well lit.

I've got another session tonight, so I'll try real world and see if I can come up with something else.

So what happened?? You figure it out??

Jun 12, 2016 at 12:28 AM
bipock
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · D5, 70-200 II and VND Issue

Nope, no definative answer yet. Didn't have to use it at either wedding this weekend. I'll keep playing with it, but it does seem that there has to be good light on the subject for it to achieve accurate focus, even if at minimum strength. In my mind, that kind defeats the purpose as, in my use, I would be trying to control the background to bring it to sync speed.

But my mind doesn't always equate to reality.

Jun 12, 2016 at 10:31 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.