end

Archive 2016 · Which next AIS lens??

morrismike
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Which next AIS lens??

dgenx24 wrote:
Hello all.

My life has been boring for last one year, since I haven't bought anything for myself for one full year
I just want to add something to bring up some smile back on my face.
Just bought my wife a handbag for our anniversary, so I don't want to spend alot of money.
So I figured maybe I could add one more ais lens in my arsenal.
I strictly use mf lens (pair with D800) for fine art, snap shots and for hang outs only. I use AF lens for more serious work.
I am 28mm, 50mm 105mm guy.
I've been
...Show more

Ziess Distagon 35mm f/2 and Voigtlander 58mm are pretty sweet MF lens.

Jun 11, 2016 at 01:23 AM
saph
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Which next AIS lens??

Once you go to the manual Nikkor glass thread, there may be no turning back, its a darned black hole

PC-Nikkors indeed open up a whole new vista, like Buddy said above, the 28 3.5 PC is the easiest choice if you don't want to delve into non-AI territory.

Another choice is the 105 2.5 AIS, the rendering is classic Nikon. Although the same FL as your 1.8, it is more than worth having among your stable of lenses.

Jun 11, 2016 at 07:05 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Which next AIS lens??

Sometimes though, folks venturing in there to ask a question have a hard time with the speed of that thread, in finding their answers.

Jun 11, 2016 at 07:18 AM
j.liam
• • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Which next AIS lens??

sandycrane wrote:
Although I am not a fan of the DF I see that a lot of good photographers are. I don't see any reason to belittle their choice of hardware.

I'm not belittling photographers choices.

I'm belittling Nikon.

Namely, for marketing the Dƒ before introduction as a back-to-basics camera shockingly compatible with even non-AI lenses. This gave reasonable credence to rumors that it would use interchangeable focus screens, some designed specifically for accurately focusing the vast array of AiS lenses out there, especially those faster than ƒ/2.8.

[Personal note: I had pre-ordered one anticipating it as perhaps the long-awaited digital solution for my 14 AiS lenses (ranging from 8-180 mm) and 5 Leitax'd Leica R's. The deceit so pissed me off that after 20 years a Nikonista, I gave up on Nikon & sold off a D700, Fuji IS Pro, all AF Nikkors and 11 AiS lenses (Nikon, Zeiss + Voigtländer). Moved on to digital Leica (having long owned an M6)....held on to the NOCT, 16/3.5 FE and 75-150 E for my beloved FM2T and the R's in anticipation of an a9 or better M.}

Despite its good looks and trimmer size, the Dƒ is a typical Nikon AF-biased DSLR like the rest.

Edited on Jun 11, 2016 at 09:36 AM · View previous versions

Jun 11, 2016 at 08:45 AM
saph
• • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Which next AIS lens??

Laura, some moons ago there was a discussion on figuring out a search function on that thread, primarily so folks interested in particular lenses could go digging. Not much came about at that time but more recently, Mark from that thread has started a site that is a lot more suited to searching for information by lens.

https://nikonmflens.org/index.php/discussions/nikkor-glass

Jun 11, 2016 at 09:25 AM
dgenx24
• • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Which next AIS lens??

saph wrote:
Laura, some moons ago there was a discussion on figuring out a search function on that thread, primarily so folks interested in particular lenses could go digging. Not much came about at that time but more recently, Mark from that thread has started a site that is a lot more suited to searching for information by lens.

that site seems to have lots of good info. thanks!

Jun 11, 2016 at 09:30 AM
the solitaire
• • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Which next AIS lens??

j.liam wrote:
I'm not belittling photographers choices.

I'm belittling Nikon.

Namely, for marketing the Dƒ before introduction as a back-to-basics camera shockingly compatible with even non-AI lenses. This gave reasonable credence to rumors that it would use interchangeable focus screens, some designed specifically for accurately focusing the vast array of AiS lenses out there, especially those faster than ƒ/2.8.

[Personal note: I had pre-ordered one anticipating it as perhaps the long-awaited digital solution for my 14 AiS lenses (ranging from 8-180 mm) and 5 Leitax'd Leica R's. The deceit so pissed me off that after 20 years a Nikonista, I gave up on
...Show more

I never noticed Nikon mention anything about interchangeable focus screens on the Df. Even less of focus screens designed especially for manual focus lenses. Good luck on your photographic journey. Kit building is forever, and if it moves you away from Nikon for whatever reason, then that is your choice and it will be a good choice based on the deciding factors you deem important.

Your choice can but does not need to be guidance for others to do the same and I know many who are quite happy with their Nikon Df, even if it doesn't offer interchangeable focus screens. I believe Nikon got out of that business around the time they moved their priority from film cameras to digital. The Nikon F5 had intercheangeable focus screens. I believe the options for the F6 were already significantly reduced. Let's just say that I was not surprised to see Nikon NOT making and offering the amount of focus screens offered for the Nikon F2 or F3 in their niche market product, the Nikon Df.

Jun 11, 2016 at 10:19 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Which next AIS lens??

It can be google-searched though, I've done it a few times and had posted it in there

If I wanted to search for all 16mm discussions, I'd type

"16mm site :https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/929565/"
(without the quote marks)

saph wrote:

Jun 11, 2016 at 03:26 PM
j.liam
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Which next AIS lens??

the solitaire wrote:
I never noticed Nikon mention anything about interchangeable focus screens on the Df.

I never said they did.

the solitaire wrote:
Let's just say that I was not surprised to see Nikon NOT making and offering the amount of focus screens offered for the Nikon F2 or F3 in their niche market product, the Nikon Df.

By consciously adding the means to use even older, pre-Ai lenses, they legitimately raised the expectations that this would be a MF-lens optimized system. Its screen was, however, the same ƒ/2.8 optimized focusing screen without any new aid for focusing.
Look, they make their money selling new AF lenses but made a big deal about backward compatibility--Canon was at least honest. As time passes, even their OEM glass are outclassed by 3rd parties like Sigma and Tokina AND for <1/2 the OEM price. If they choose to ignore what the market says, then the market will in time ignore them.

Hey, I read that the upteenth pointless iteration of the D3*** is imminent!!

Jun 11, 2016 at 05:18 PM
the solitaire
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Which next AIS lens??

You never said they did, yet you claim that they did not deliver the camera they advertised. Or at least that after the advertisement campaign you were left disappointed with the lack of interchangeable focus screens.

I learned to never expect something that is not advertised

I mill a part out of the aperture ring of pre-Ai lenses so I can use them on my D3. Nikon made a retro look AF 50mm lens for the Df. What do you expect?

I truly appreciate that I do not need an adapter to fit my pre-Ai lenses on my camera, and that I get metering capability as well as aperture priority auto mode. I also accept the Nikon stopped producing Ai conversion kits now that we're 35 years after the introduction of the Ai coupling mechanism. Offering backward compatibility like that is, in my opinion, an amazing technological achievement as well as a service no other manufacturer offers.

The releases of the D5 and D500 prove to me that Nikon very well listens to the professional market. Releasing a niche product like the Df is proof that Nikon is comfortable with people buying used rather then new lenses, and even promotes buying used older lenses. To do so they put their (then) flagship sensor in a restyled consumer shell, thought about the user interface and created a pretty nice package to a decent price. Offering the Df will never be a big-profit endeavour because most buyers will not invest as big in the newest AF lenses as with, for instance, D600 owners.

If you want more retro then the Df, Nikon manufactured the F3 until 2002 and still services it today. They also still offer service for the F6.

Jun 11, 2016 at 05:59 PM
j.liam
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Which next AIS lens??

the solitaire wrote:
You never said they did, yet you claim that they did not deliver the camera they advertised. Or at least that after the advertisement campaign you were left disappointed with the lack of interchangeable focus screens.

Check the advertisements and expectations raised, then what followed as the finished product.

Offering backward compatibility like that is, in my opinion, an amazing technological achievement as well as a service no other manufacturer offers.

Leica?

I learned to never expect something that is not advertised

I will grant you that; and with it comes the adage that, "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me". Learned my lesson.

The releases of the D5 and D500 prove to me that Nikon very well listens to the professional market.

Seems to be the only ones they do listen to.

Releasing a niche product like the Df is proof that Nikon is comfortable with people buying used rather then new lenses, and even promotes buying used older lenses. To do so they put their (then) flagship sensor in a restyled consumer shell, thought about the user interface and created a pretty nice package to a decent price. Offering the Df will never be a big-profit endeavour because most buyers will not invest as big in the newest AF lenses as with, for instance, D600 owners.

Just window-dressing; there's nothing niche about the Dƒ, save its appearance. Having said that, it's a really neat camera in hand; closest to the FM series than any camera yet. Notice though, they have not followed up on the original (2013). A shame.

Jun 11, 2016 at 08:03 PM
the solitaire
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Which next AIS lens??

I don't expect them tyo cycle the Df as fast as other models. Maybe a refresh every 5-6 years or two cycles.

To me they are as far away from the FM series, F2 or F3 as any other modern Nikon. The main reason for that is that due to the rear LCD placement the camera body is still quite fat. Having a few dials on top is nice, but it doesn't make an FM or F3 in my opinion.

It is a really neat camera with an excellent sensor. I wouldn't want to give up any of the features my D3 has for that sensor, but I can see groups of people who will be (and are) very happy using the camera.

Jun 12, 2016 at 10:39 AM
RexGig0
• • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Which next AIS lens??

Please, let us leave discussions of the Df to other threads? Thanks.

We have his-and-hers Zoom-Nikkor 100-300mm f/5.6 AI-S lenses. These cost about $100 US, each, in 2011 or 2012. Obviously, these are best for bright light conditions, but are relatively slim and light, so good for walking-about. There is no tripod foot, and Bjorn Rorselett has written that when used with the camera, itself, mounted on the tripod, vibration issues can occur, so this lens is best used hand-held.

I think the 50/1.2 and 28/2.8 AI-S lenses, and the Voigtlander 90/3.5 SL/SL II, have been mentioned by others, so I will just say I really like mine.

I am still forming my opinion of my pre-AI, but AI-converted, Nikkor-UD Auto 20mm f/3.5 lens. This is a comparatively big one, with 72mm filter threads. Coma flare, near the edges, is horrendous, at least with distant urban light sources, so it is not a night-time lens, but I plan to shoot some beginner/amateurish landscapes with it this summer.

I also have yet to form opinions of my several AI and pre-AI Micro-Nikkors.

Jun 13, 2016 at 02:36 PM
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.